Print Page | Close Window

Mega of London

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Other Chat
Forum Name: Golden oldies
Forum Description: Post all historic interesting items, stories and photos here (no, not your Nan)
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=68511
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 5:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mega of London
Posted By: colint
Subject: Mega of London
Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 2:12pm
Has anyone got any good photos of the Mega modular (horn loaded) pa system if so could you post there here for me?
Thanks in advance
Col.

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Replies:
Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 2:52pm

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 3:49pm
Thanks Ian I sort of knew you'd have a photo or so.

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Posted By: Nachural
Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:39pm
Oh those lovely 2x12" bins.
Created quite a stir when robbo fitted them into a local reggae club. Well, at least till he fired them up!

-------------
it's all just cardboard and magnets really

Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 7:42pm
I always liked the look of the mega stuff but never managed to get my grubby mitts on any of it and the only time any's come up for sale I've been skint.
Anyone else got any photo's?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 9:01pm
Im sure John (Robbo) must have some photos,he had four cabinets on ebay recently,a pair of the 2x12's and a pair of the 15" w bins?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I'm sure John (Robbo) must have some photos...

Photos? I'd imagine in a shed he's long forgotten about there's half of all the cabs Mega ever produced!

(Sorry John, couldn't resist it!).

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Date Posted: 01 July 2012 at 11:28pm
Tongue
Very likely, he didn't do things by halves!

-------------

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Created quite a stir when robbo fitted them into a local reggae club. Well, at least till he fired them up!

were they no good then?

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 8:44am
I think the opposite Mike,the bass those 12" ATC drivers made in that cabinet was amazing,on par with the equivilent Martin 15" cabinets of the time.I heard a stereo stack of 2 of those per side,thumped me in the stomach at 50 feet.

A vertical column of four or six per side must have been deadly.

Incidentially,the earlier ones had large wooden grab handles running all along the sides,like the Martin 115 w bins.

Its a shame more weren't sold,but i seem to remember they were pretty expensive at the time,so most companys probually stuck with the more established Martin or ASS cabs.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: oldskool
Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:05am
I was in Robbo's store of joy only a few weeks back and saw the mega bass cabs for myself, still very nice. Anyway I have six of the mega radial horns for one inch comps, still brand new and unused. Anyway does anybody remember the mega cabs that had 2 x 18, 4 x 10, two inch comp and a pair of the slot radiators, all JBL? Still one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Just like a studio monitor but very loud! Probably weighed half a ton too.  

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:46am
I don't remember seeing the Mega cabinet but it sounds like UK's answer to the Clair S4.
Wonder how many they built? It would be great to see one.

John might have some info if he's reading this thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

were they no good then?
Mykey, they were brilliant, it was just interesting seeing the reaction of the reggae guys who couldn't believe what ATC 12's could do!

-------------

Posted By: Muckerbarnes1
Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:20am
Hopefully loaded with ATC PA75-314 BLCR. A lovelly driver.

Then of course good ole David Lythe ( Volt Loudspeakers). There is nowt new under the sun Big smile

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:32am
I think most o the 2x12 bins were indeed loaded with ATC's. Surely one of the best 12's ever made for it's application.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:50am
Used loads of them Chris. ATC is close nearby. A great company.

Used to put those 12's into Bose (YUK!) bass cabs as a replacement to the naff Emminece unit, then get the glue and pinner out, as most boxes started to separate. There are still qute a few out there working like this.

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:02am
I bet they were the best sounding Bose cabs ever heard!

-------------

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:32am

I think the opposite Mike,the bass those 12" ATC drivers made in that cabinet was amazing,on par with the equivilent Martin 15" cabinets of the time.I heard a stereo stack of 2 of those per side,thumped me in the stomach at 50 feet.

A vertical column of four or six per side must have been deadly.

Incidentially,the earlier ones had large wooden grab handles running all along the sides,like the Martin 115 w bins.

Its a shame more weren't sold,but i seem to remember they were pretty expensive at the time,so most companys probually stuck with the more established Martin or ASS cabs.
I've heard them. It's just the way he said it......."caused quite a stir....well, at least until he fired them up"

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 12:02pm
Read this thread Chris. My second post on the Bose 302 crap! It was so funny..LOLLOLLOL

A good hijack too....

http://forum.speakerplans.com/atc-driver_topic43333.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.speakerplans.com/atc-driver_topic43333.html

-------------
Billy Dawg.

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 1:02pm
Malcolm, that was a funny read, I bet Bose weren't happy at all!

-------------

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 8:57pm
The old Mega B212 has got to be one of the most underrated cabinets in the industry and we used to love them----The club in question was the old Rising Star nightclub(now the well known Robin club) in Bilston, Wolverhampton and we had been putting all sorts of hire systems in there for about two years for various live reggae shows including most of the top Jamaican acts.
The club owners approached us to install a full in house system which could be used for both the in house Reggae DJs and any live acts that were on as well and we ended up fitting four Mega B212 on bass, four Mega 9" ATC fibreglass mids and four Mega twin 1" HF horn cabinets with four old original Peavey CS800 big chrome fronted amps in bridge mode driving the bass bins and RSD Studiomaster amps driving the rest of the PA.
Now this little Mega system just sat in that club for years and comfortably blew away every reggae sound system that was brought into the venue--and there were some big systems around Wolverhampton at that time and the clubs capacity was about 600 officially but there were regular nights when over 800 bodies would be in there and it just sat there pumping it out.
No one would ever believe us when asked what speakers were in the bass bins and we told them 12"---they always thought that we were joking with them and in the first five years we only had two drivers blown which says a hell of a lot about the system but also about the resident DJs that really used to respect the system and of course we were doing the sound for all of the live acts so it never suffered like todays red lining abuse.
The subject of the Rising Star system still crops u with me on many occasions when I bump into the old school guys that were there around that time and I still get praise for that rig to this day---Cheers-John.

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

I was in Robbo's store of joy only a few weeks back and saw the mega bass cabs for myself, still very nice. Anyway I have six of the mega radial horns for one inch comps, still brand new and unused. Anyway does anybody remember the mega cabs that had 2 x 18, 4 x 10, two inch comp and a pair of the slot radiators, all JBL? Still one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Just like a studio monitor but very loud! Probably weighed half a ton too.  

I saw those cabs at Kempton park race course think it was a Thames valley Sunday show, they were truly mental and driven off what looked like half finished amp just chucked on the flood, I don't know who drew more complaints Mega or ASS with Tony's wall of sound downstairs, but I do remember the staff of Kempton park shitting themselves because the chandler's were moving with the bass from all those 18's.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:11pm
Mega upstairs and Tony downstairs?!LOL
Surprised the bloody place was left standing after that onslaught. Yes those mega cabs were mental.
I remember seeing Brass Construction play Hammersmith Odeon in 1983 (as it was called back then) with just six of those cabs each side, 1.2 kW per cab, madness.
They even did a "diet version" with 2x15, 2x10, two inch comp and two slot radiators too  
Those Thames Valley Sundays must have been one hell of a day out Colin! Big smile  

Date Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:49pm

I wish I’d heard those boxes. Does anyone have any surviving literature for the full rang cabs. I don’t recall ever seeing a brochure or advert for them. Definitely a bit of Clair Brothers thinking going on in their design.

John, did you ever have any of them?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 July 2012 at 12:19am
No Chris--We never had any of the big Berthas just the smaller Mega full range cabinets that we used to use for sidefills or drumfills---In fact, I still have a pair of them in the garage now which I will be refurbing shortly--1x15", 1x10" horn loaded mid, 1" HF and a bullet tweeter complete with diamond mesh grilles c/w original Mega of London badges

Date Posted: 03 July 2012 at 5:17am
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Mega upstairs and Tony downstairs?!LOL
Surprised the bloody place was left standing after that onslaught. Yes those mega cabs were mental.
I remember seeing Brass Construction play Hammersmith Odeon in 1983 (as it was called back then) with just six of those cabs each side, 1.2 kW per cab, madness.
They even did a "diet version" with 2x15, 2x10, two inch comp and two slot radiators too  
Those Thames Valley Sundays must have been one hell of a day out Colin! Big smile  

They were quite good, we did the Kent show a couple of time's (think it was SEDA) they were hard work but always good fun, set up the "stand" in the morning,and from 12pm show off the kit and have a few beers in the process, Tony used to do the SEDA show too (but not Mega) he had ASS we had Martin Audio you can imagine the end result Big smile and not as stuck up and stuffy as Plasa. Very good times indeed

-------------

Posted By: London Sound1
Date Posted: 03 July 2012 at 7:51am
I do have a brochure and price list from around 1982, I'm due to send to a SP member who will scan this and other material for SP and another site.

Ian

-------------
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk

Posted By: paulus
Date Posted: 03 July 2012 at 8:15am
My friend has a pair of megas festering in his garage ,12" flared mid with a nice 1" comp on top,will get some pics later,pretty sure they have a atc drive unit it too

-------------
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Date Posted: 03 July 2012 at 9:38am

It will be great to see those old brochures - so much literature has disappeared over the years which is a shame, it's part of our PA heritage after all.

-------------

Posted By: simonh
Date Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:15pm
Just seen these on the bay...  maybe of interest to someone..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Mid-horn-loaded-ATC-driver-Speakers-/221114345261?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item337b71272d#ht_500wt_1245

Date Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by simonh simonh wrote:

Just seen these on the bay...  maybe of interest to someone..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Mid-horn-loaded-ATC-driver-Speakers-/221114345261?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item337b71272d#ht_500wt_1245

Yes Simon I've already seen those, stonkin cheap at 200 quid a pair worth that for the drivers alone I would have thought.
I'd love a full mega system even if it was just to say I've had one.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:45pm
Wasn't sure of the value myself Col, but I did think they looked cheap.  I bet it's probably the only system you haven't had.... Big smile  

Date Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:49pm
I believe these are the earlier Mega 9inch mids,with wooden flares,the later ones had molded fibreglass flares,ala martin ladyshaves.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 27 August 2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by simonh simonh wrote:

Wasn't sure of the value myself Col, but I did think they looked cheap.  I bet it's probably the only system you haven't had.... Big smile  

I done Martin, Turbo, EV and ASS of the bigger stuff but never Mega, but I do love the look of it especially the glass fiber horns,

I thing the early horn loaded system's looked so mean and most of them sounded brutal back in those day's, don't forget back then most of the bigger systems were 3 way at most sub bass wasn't an option because it wasn't needed and half the time the cabs were never driven to their max power because most of the amps were quite low powered by today's standard's anyway. 

Think about it two of the biggest most common amps at the time (Crown DC300 & HHS500D) were only rated at 340watts per channel at 4ohms it would have been quite difficult to achieve the 400 watts needed to drive the commonly used drivers of the day like the JBL E140 or Gauss 4583A but the sound levels were still very impressive for the amount of actual power being used.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 September 2012 at 10:51am
Someone got a bargain there..8x Mega ATC mids for Winning bid:£235.00

He might as well have given them away for that price.

Anyone here get them?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 03 September 2012 at 8:50pm

Someone got a bargain there..8x Mega ATC mids for Winning bid:£235.00

He might as well have given them away for that price.

Anyone here get them?

Hopefully someone on here got them for that price Ian.  I went to motion54 monthly event last night.  One of the sound systems used 3 phillishaves & 3 ladyshaves.  I like their sound.

Posted By: VSS
Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:42am
I know the phillishave's but what are " ladyshave's " ?

Posted By: TONY.A.S.S.
Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:50am
The Philly is a 2x12. I believe the Lady's are a single.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:57am
Yup.looked exactly the same as a Phillyshave,but was around one third smaller all round,contained a single 12" ATC,mounted on a fibreglass flare,and had the same cheesegrater grill as the philly.

Martin used them mainly on top of a 2x15 reflex cabinet,with the HF1 radial horn on top,designed for sidefill etc.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: madboffin
Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 5:06pm

Martin used them mainly on top of a 2x15 reflex cabinet,with the HF1 radial horn on top,designed for sidefill etc.

Yes, that combination was known as the FR3 system:

BR215 bass cabinet. Early ones were fitted with RCF L15P06C's, later ones had ATC's which might be either the 3" or 4" coil versions.
MH112 "Ladyshave" mid. Early ones had an RCF L12P24, later an ATC/Martin M1220.
HF2R horn, same as an HF2 but fitted with a 1" to 2" adaptor and a Renkus-Heinz SSD1800 driver (some were supplied with a JBL2425 as an option at extra cost)
A passive crossover was fitted in the HF cabinet with a connector to link to the mid, but the system could also be used 3-way active.

There was also an HF2E fitted with an Emilar EC175, and an HF2R/S with an additional JBL 2402H supertweeter, either of which might be found on an old FR3 system.

They were aimed at the "small PA" market and as mentioned above were popular as sidefills on big stages.

There was an Ultravox tour in which a row of FR3's were used as backline. They can be seen on the cover of the album recorded on the tour.  "Monument", maybe?

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 6:44pm
Here's a bashed up version for those who haven't seen the FR3 system
Lovely sounding system for it's size.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 6:46pm
Just in case anyone is interested---I have four BR215 cabinets here which are empty---I may be persuaded to part with them---Cheers--John.

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 6:50pm
Well done for finding that photo Colin,you can see from that the Ladyshave cab was the same width as the HF2 radial horn cab,at 22inches,making it considerably smaller than the Phillyshaves' 30 inches.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:04pm

Well done for finding that photo Colin,you can see from that the Ladyshave cab was the same width as the HF2 radial horn cab,at 22inches,making it considerably smaller than the Phillyshaves' 30 inches.

And a hell of a lot lighter too, personally I've always preferred the smaller cab not so "in your face" and always seemed to have a little more finesse.

I also preferred the Emular comp too, The SSD1800 had a bad habit of self destruction when pushed to hard and tended to get a little harsh at upper levels.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Just in case anyone is interested---I have four BR215 cabinets here which are empty---I may be persuaded to part with them---Cheers--John.

I think we need to start a thread where anyone can put up the name of a cab and the winner is the first one where John says, "Ummm, nope. Haven't got one of those".

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 8:55pm
LOL

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 9:06pm
I can actually swing a cat round in our garage now Eddie as the stocks are dwindling somewhat---I still have about 200 assorted drivers which I really need to sort out and get them moved on before the mice come back indoors for the winter period and still have a wall of rackmounted gear as well.

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 9:18pm
Bloomin 'eck John, you're taking this retirement lark quite seriously aren't you!
Bet you still can't get a car in there though.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

Here's a bashed up version for those who haven't seen the FR3 system
Lovely sounding system for it's size.

Now you've just got to remember where you stored it ...

Date Posted: 05 September 2012 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

I can actually swing a cat round in our garage now Eddie as the stocks are dwindling somewhat---I still have about 200 assorted drivers which I really need to sort out and get them moved on before the mice come back indoors for the winter period and still have a wall of rackmounted gear as well.

I can sympathise with that John,i recently cleared out around 20 spare drivers,plonked them on ebay,some of the prices a little disapointing (£30 for a k130 etc) but in the end,to many spare drivers just become a bloody nuisance,they are awkward to store,you cant stack them up without the original cartons,and take up far to much room for the value.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 14 September 2012 at 6:56pm
The seller doesnt know it,but he has a pair of Mega 15" w-bins here...complete with the original side grab handles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115-Bass-Horns-Bins-Not-Scoop-Like-Martin-Audio-Unloaded-/261097915649?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3ccaa60501" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115-Bass-Horns-Bins-Not-Scoop-Like-Martin-Audio-Unloaded-/261097915649?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3ccaa60501

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 14 September 2012 at 7:55pm
Yes Ian----They even have the original wheels, BAF wadding and Mega speaker clamps as well---Only things missing are the front badges and rear spec badge panels
Now where did I put all those Mega badges that I have been keeping all these years?

Posted By: WayneAudio
Date Posted: 02 October 2012 at 6:38pm
Hi

I know this post is a month old but it's worth a try.

Robo, you say you have lots of drivers kicking around. I don't suppose there is a Renkus Heinz ssd1800 or two in there by any chance?

Cheers

W

Date Posted: 02 October 2012 at 11:17pm
Sorry Wayne---No Renkus Heinz bits here at all which is suprising really as I seem to have virtually every driver thats ever been made here---Cheers--John.

Date Posted: 02 October 2012 at 11:56pm
Oh well, guess somebody's won a t-shirt!

-------------

Posted By: WayneAudio
Date Posted: 03 October 2012 at 12:16am
I shall continue my search. Failing that I might have to find a new driver for my wedges

Cheers anyway

W.

Posted By: Mrd999
Date Posted: 03 October 2012 at 10:14am
I  bought the ones off e bay, £100 the pair, drivers alone are worth that..They were a heck of a lot bigger in the flesh..

-------------
What goes around, comes around

Posted By: Nikkolas
Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 5:48pm
i came across this single box today. who knows something more about it?

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:09pm
Yup,i remember those,date from around 1980/81,can be used a a stand-alone cabaret system,or as a mid-hi with the addition of a seperate bass cabinet. (a 2x15 reflex).

The above cabinets had Fane Studio L drivers.The acoustic lens was Mega's own one.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:16pm
are you sure they are fane studio L drivers there Ian? i recall these had volt 10" in, and those above look like the volt units with their finer pitch grille. Then again, its been a long time and i might be wrong.

nice cabs though, if they were near me i'd snap them up

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:33pm
Yup,i think you may be right Chris,my mistake..long time since i saw a pair....wasn't the HF driver an Emilar? Or was it Renkus Heinz? 1 inch i believe.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:44pm
yes, similar to what Martin were using in the H350 etc of the time

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:58pm
Yes Volt 10" drivers and the lens was an RCF one---You can easily tell the RCF lenses by the plate spacer clip on the front of each wave--these plastic clips were a pain in the wotsit as they used to break or fall off even when handled with care--a lot of these cabinets were made for different people as it was a popular install unit and were offered with a choice of HF driver but the standard stock item driver was a Peavey 22A would you believe as Mega used to fit them in lots of their early cabinets, until we told them how bad they sounded.

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 7:24pm
Looking back over this thread, did anyone ever post the Mega Compact (Clair S4 lookalike) brochure?
If not, I could scan my copy.

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 7:27pm
that would be good to see

-------------

Posted By: TONY.A.S.S.
Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 7:29pm
I don't think we've seen that one. Please scan.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Date Posted: 20 October 2013 at 11:27pm
Here you are, all 9 pages.

I tried uploading these to the forum directly, but it mangled them into an unreadable low resolution, so please downlaod from these links:

http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc1.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc1.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc2.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc2.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc3.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc3.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc4.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc4.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc5.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc5.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc6.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc6.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc7.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc7.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc8.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc8.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc9.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc9.jpg

The system was also marketed as the SCV Systeme Compact, as CP Mega had links with the French company SCV.
I wonder if the electronic crossover described in the brochure was an SCV design?

Posted By: jazomir
Date Posted: 21 October 2013 at 9:47am
Certainly remember the Mini Compact but never saw the Compact - even in ads. Presume they used the side by side arrangement of the 10s in the Compact to reduce the beaming that would occur with a 4x10 column.

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Date Posted: 21 October 2013 at 10:53am
There was deffinately a 2x10+ horn in their range,that had there own acoustic lens on it,as Robbo says,this one on the previous page is an RCF,but mega's own one was a crinkle affair similar to the JBL 2390,but smaller,with a 1" driver......Someone on here had a pair of the actual Mega lenses,i cant remember who exactly,but old mod James rings a bell?

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 21 October 2013 at 1:45pm
....and then James lent them to Dan Descendant, and then Dan lent them to me, and I built some boxes for them, and then Dan decided he wanted them back....dammit LOL So they currently reside in London with my mate Dan. 
They were a bit bent, but sounded very nice, and were fitted with Gauss drivers, model number worn off the label IIRC.

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 21 October 2013 at 3:23pm
Well done,i knew i wasn't imagining it! Clap

By the way,those 1" gauss drivers were model 2081.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 21 October 2013 at 3:30pm
I remember hearing the compact system at a BADEM (pre PLASA) show in London back in 1982 I think it was. We got a proper audition in their (small) room. They were using their own amp rack and feeding it via a Revox A77 playing Supertramp. One of the most impressive systems I have heard to date. My mate with me at the time just turned to them and said "I have never heard so many frequencies all at the same time." He was shocked at the clarity for what was supposed to be a PA system sounding like studio monitors.

-------------
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Date Posted: 31 October 2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Here you are, all 9 pages.

I tried uploading these to the forum directly, but it mangled them into an unreadable low resolution, so please downlaod from these links:

http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc1.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc1.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc2.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc2.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc3.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc3.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc4.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc4.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc5.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc5.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc6.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc6.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc7.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc7.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc8.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc8.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc9.jpg" rel="nofollow - www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc9.jpg

The system was also marketed as the SCV Systeme Compact, as CP Mega had links with the French company SCV.
I wonder if the electronic crossover described in the brochure was an SCV design?

Don't suppose there are any pictures of the system by any chance?
It was one Mega product i never saw.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2013 at 7:57pm
We used to do the sound at Olympia for the Trade/Public show which was called the Live Music Show in the old days--It was in a big room upstairs off the balcony and we used to work with a lot of top name acts from the day with the manufacturers sponsored sessions.
We always used to put in a big Mega rig and I know that they used to sell a lot of gear on their trade stand as a result of what we were doing upstairs---it was always a very pleasant few days as we used to stay in the adjacent hotel and were out and about in Kensington on the night times.

Posted By: SMP
Date Posted: 16 January 2014 at 12:30pm

I believe these are the earlier Mega 9inch mids,with wooden flares,the later ones had molded fibreglass flares,ala martin ladyshaves.

known as MW19's had lots of mega inc floor wedges 2x10 + 2xcp16 very nice monitoring system had a dozen of those for years along with a lot of other stuff from them  went to CP cases/Mega when they were winding down bought lots of stock from them early 80's

Posted By: KidCreole
Date Posted: 16 January 2014 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Nikkolas Nikkolas wrote:

i came across this single box today. who knows something more about it?

Use a lot on fairground rides

Posted By: Nikkolas
Date Posted: 02 July 2014 at 9:08pm
Is this the original driver for this model?

there is no sticker on the cd

Posted By: dazaa
Date Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:42am
I hate to drag up an old thread but there appears to be absolutely no info on mega gear anywhere else on the internet!

I've got a single mid horn, with a 9" ATC driver, is there anyone out there who might have a spare one so I can have a pair? 

Posted By: Dub Specialist Sound
Date Posted: 18 November 2015 at 9:11pm
Anymore brochures on these cabs ect, 

very few and far between..

thanks

-------------
Musical Roots Reggae Vibration is Life! for music is sound...sound is vibration...vibration is energy... and energy begets life. Therein lies my passion!...MUSIC IS LIFE...

Posted By: APC321
Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 4:22pm

Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 4:28pm
Specs:

Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 4:34pm
sorry for repeat posts. I cannot seem able to post the specs.

Posted By: jazomir
Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

sorry for repeat posts. I cannot seem able to post the specs.
Here are some (badly scanned details):

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 9:49pm
Thanks for that lads,

any one got any info on the FR112 the full range horn cab ans hf, thats what im interested in is the x/o point which the comps are

thanks

-------------
Musical Roots Reggae Vibration is Life! for music is sound...sound is vibration...vibration is energy... and energy begets life. Therein lies my passion!...MUSIC IS LIFE...

Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 10:34pm
FR112 was loaded with a 12" ATC long coil bass driver with linen fold surround not the usual rubber.
HF was covered by an RCF TW101 driver which was brought in at 1.5khz by the built in passive Xover.
I have a pair of their larger but still compact brothers,again mod no FR something which hold a ported 15" on bass,a 10" horn loaded mid and a 1" HF horn along with a bullet tweeter---I may sell these if there is someone interested--They are in very good condition complete with Mega badged diamond mesh heavy duty grilles.
Ian may be able to come up with the model numbers of these cabinets as I cannot remember them myself and some pics and original specs would be good.

Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 10:55pm
Wow amazing info there Robbo , top man

thanks 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 November 2015 at 1:40am
There was an FR1210H, as described by Robbo but the ported LF was a 12" rather than a 15".

I have a file of old Mega catalogues and spec sheets.

Date Posted: 20 November 2015 at 10:58am
Now you have said that about the FR1210H, I have a sneaky feeling that they are the cabinets that I have here but the bottom cut out for the 12" has been enlarged to take a 15" ATC driver--If you could post a pic up then I can confirm--Cheers--John.

Date Posted: 20 November 2015 at 11:42pm
Robbo,

i would be really interested in them the FR112, even if the ports have been cut off/modded, thats then ones madboffin i talking about too

can tha be modded back to 12s?

than ks

-------------

Date Posted: 22 November 2015 at 4:25pm
Please get in touch Robbo

thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 22 November 2015 at 7:26pm
I will have a look for you over the next few days and will also check upon what drivers that I have that will fit them--Cheers--John.

Date Posted: 23 November 2015 at 11:30am
Thanks Robbo,

tbh interested in only the cabs if poss

thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2015 at 2:46pm

FR112.  Smile

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 29 November 2015 at 5:18pm
Ah lovely JBL man , thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2015 at 5:19pm
Still on the look out for a pair

-------------

Posted By: Kraznet
Date Posted: 09 March 2017 at 2:53am
Hi there. My name is Martin Burrow and I chanced upon this thread when out of the blue I decided to do a search for Mega Speakers UK. I used to work for Mega and my specialty was as the main builder of their speaker cabinets between 1976 - 1980ish. Unfortunately I don't have any speaker plans from that era although I did have a whole bunch of router templates which were stored at my fathers for many years but were disposed of after he died 2 years ago. So I'm sorry to disappoint you on that front. I realise this thread is quite old, but I thought some of you might be interested in the history of Mega from my perspective.

I started there around 1976 before it was called Mega. I got the job because I knew the guys at ATC who were just starting up and were based over the river on Strand on the Green, Chiswick. ATC was Bill Woodman plus an Irish guy whose name I forget plus a German guy called Hans who was marketing the products. Bill and the Irish guy used to work at Goodmans originally and went out on their own. Their first product was the ATC 12 inch with a 3 inch edge wound voice coil. I did an apprenticeship for carpentry/ joinery after leaving school in 1968 so they recommended me to Mega as they were looking for someone. 
Mega were based under the arches on the Kew side of Kew Bridge, Surrey.The company was run by 2 guys, Steve Borrill from Canterbury who was previously the bass player in the UK band Syprogyro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirogyra_(band) and Ian Williamson who originated from South Shields. When I started there I think there was probably just the 2 of them and maybe one or 2 others working part-time. Including Rick Biddulph who was a bass player from Canterbury and Steves friend. Rick's Canterbury friend Doug Chandler also worked there for a while later on and he went on to start Chandler Guitars in Sandycombe Road, Kew. I remember him bringing lumps of brass with him in the evening and shaping brass bridges and nuts on the huge orbital sander. 

Joining Mega coincided with the business taking off. At the start I seemed to be building nothing but JBL 4560 type cabinets or the bigger 15" versions. I'm sure I must have built these the 2 x12 mids which were various popular as well. http://www.cmvintageaudio.com/detail,item_id,130-jbl-4560-bass-bins.php plus. I could build 7 or 8 4560's in a day. They were made with 3/4" finish birch ply but after a while we sourced some Russian ply which was just as good and cheaper. We developed the 2 x 12 bass bin with ATC and I can vouch that it was certainly solidly built with the wooden handles. Steve Borrill did all the drawings and cutting lists. He was amazingly organised and the linchpin of the business. I was constructing everything in Arch 2 using compressed air staple guns and screwdrivers. I would receive a big pile of cut wood and off I went. When they were built they would go down to Arch 7 to be painted with a mixture of black paint mixed with PVA. (After filling and sanding of course). Then the castors, corners and handles etc were fitted. We got all our hardware from CP Cases who were also over the river on Strand on the Green, next to ATC conveniently. So it was like the perfect storm. What with ATC and CP Cases being so close, orders escalated pretty quickly so it was a fruitful arrangement for all of us. Besides the Mega range were building for Martin Audio, Kelsey Acoustics, Entec and a company called Electrosound plus other I forgot. Plus later on we were building speakers for Neil Grant whose company name I forget at the moment.I think it was Boxer? I also remember building bass rigs for Bruce Thomas from Elvis Costello and the Attractions and aneven bigger system for Jean-Jacques Burnel of the Stranglers.There were others but it was a long time ago and I wasn't really taking notes at the time. Dave Lyth also rented some space in one of the arches later on and started designing his Volt systems which we were also building. He was a very nice guy and it looks like he still going http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/the-volt-team/ They were great days and I look back on them as probably the best times of my life. Talking about it makes me feel nostalgic. It seems like another lifetime now.

Towards the late 70s Mega and CP cases decided to merge and became CP/Mega.They acquired a large factory premises on the Great West Road near Brentford. So we upped sticks and moved there. Although Ian Williamson stayed at the arches and was making bespoke joinery. The atmosphere at the Arches, Kew Bridge was amazing like a little village and quite different to a factory environment of the Great West Road.I hung in there with CP Mega for about 6 months but missed the unique atmosphere of the arches at Kew Bridge as did some of the other guys who had moved with me. So we basically resigned and moved back to the arches and kind of set up in competition. Much to the chagrin of Steve Borrill and Chris and Pete of CP Cases. Ian had a massive order for Gale loudspeakers and it was then he made friends with Neil Grant so we started building his systems. It was great fun but less disciplined than the old days and probably less profitable. We were never really competitive enough to take on Mega/CP. Plus I became more interested in playing music and renting out a PA I had built so after a while I went freelance. After going freelance I did some cabinet building mainly for Roger Quested who started Quested studio monitors. Steve Borrill later left CP/Mega to run the Turbosound factory in Dorking. In fact I built one or 2 prototypes for Tony Andrews at Mega earler after he turned up in his Aston Martin and longhair. He was quite a character and a smooth operator. He was famous for his pyramid bin at the time although I never had a chance to make one like that. I lost contact with Steve after he moved to Turbosound. In fact I'm out of contact with everyone from that era unfortunately.

After I quit CP/Mega I was approached by Dave Martin to set up and run his own factory and had a meeting with him but decided against it. I felt the vibe wasn't right plus I didn't really want to take on such a responsibility. My professional speaker cabinet building days probably ended around the mid-80s and I feel proud of what I achieved during that time. I have hardly any photos of interest from then. Obviously there was no social media and no smart phones so it was less easy to take photos unless you were a keen photographer. I wish I had documented my times there but I was living in the moment never really thought about the future and that anyone would be interested in the history. So that in a nutshell is my abridged history of working with Mega.

All the best
Martin

Date Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:36am
A wonderful incite to Mega thank you Martin.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 March 2017 at 1:34pm
Martin, thank you for posting that message - a nice potted history of the mighty Mega! The quality of their woodwork was always outstanding so you were obviously doing an excellent job.

The original partners in ATC were Bill Woodman, Hans Freytag, and Bryan Gillece. Brian wasn't Irish, but an Aussie, as is Bill.

Neil Grant has had a few companies. I think in those days it would have been either Eastmill or Westmill.

You probably had a lucky escape in deciding not to run a factory with Dave Martin. He was the stereotypical "Crazy Aussie" and "Mad Boffin" rolled into one and consequently few people were able to work with him for long. But underneath that he was quite a likeable character who would go out of his way to help anybody, and of course he was driven by an overwhelming passion for high quality audio. I worked for Martin Audio for some years and knew him well.

Last I heard of Steve Borrill he was still making cabinets, at APS in Horsham.

Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 09 March 2017 at 2:24pm
Have APS gone now?

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Posted By: Kraznet
Date Posted: 09 March 2017 at 2:32pm
Hi there!!

Thanks for jogging my memory. Of course it was Hans Freytag and yes the other partner was Brian. Although I always thought he was Irish but there you go.

Yes you're right Neil Grants company was Eastmill and he brought with him a German lady called Danni who became part of the setup down at the Arches post Mega. The bass bins we built for him were quite unusual and I was keen to take up the challenge of building them.  They were filled with an expanding type foam material behind the curves of the bass horn and in the centre which was like an aerodynamic bung. We even bought a special machine which pumped the foam into the cavities using a hose type arrangement.

Dave Martin did seem very driven and his later demise was very unfortunate. He was based up in North London at the time and I think Midas were in the same compound?

That's interesting that Steve Borrill is still making cabinets. From the website it looks like it's a one-man band. http://www.aps-roadbox.co.uk. Looks like his interest in cabinetmaking continues.

Before I worked for Mega I also did some work for Paul Dobson at RSD at Theobalds Grove in the Waltham Forest area. This was after he had split with Graham Blythe. He had some interesting cabinet designs. Particularly the 2 x 15 folded horn. I remember he supplied a PA for the French band Magma. I met him after visiting his music shop in Notting Hill Gate run by Bob Doyle from Birmingham. Bob was a top bloke but he left and I took over for a short time but the shop closed as it wasn't profitable. Then I started doing some cabinet building for him for a few months.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net