Print Page | Close Window

B&C 18SW115 enclosure design

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: Ported Enclosures
Forum Description: Post all your reflex and bandpass and 'other' boxes with holes in stuff here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=96881
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 9:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: B&C 18SW115 enclosure design
Posted By: smitske96
Subject: B&C 18SW115 enclosure design
Date Posted: 16 October 2016 at 11:07pm
In the search for a compact sub i came across the 18sw115 driver from b&c.
On the website of b&c they have a "suggested design" for the 18sw115, but with the ports on the plan there would be a vent speed of 72 m/s (if given 1700 Watt each). After some research i learned that 30 m/s is the max acceptable vent speed? 

Thinking about the ventnoise I started simulating with winisd alpha. B&C recommend a 150 L enclosure tuned to 35 Hz, The ports in the simulation are 90x450mm with a vent length of 500mm, this time there was a vent speed of 28 m/s. I would like the vent at the side of the cabinet, so the vent would be shelved. After reading some topics on different website's I learned that shelved ports have some influence on the tuning. Knowing this, i simulated the b&c sub18 design, and tried t0 achieve the same tuning (with 18tbx100). By doing this I calculated that the shelved ports need to be factor 0,6 shorter then simulated. Would this be a good guess?

Why I chose this driver? I needed a compact sub, that is capable of reaching 30/35 Hz. Also soundquality wise I prefer reflex designs.

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 October 2016 at 10:01am

Here are some results from winISD. The rear chamber of the BP is tuned to 35 Hz with a volume of 150 L, the front chamber is tuned to 80 Hz with a volume of 40 L. both have a SPL of 92 dB @35 Hz.
(Both don't have a flat response).

36 Hz and up the BP wins in the simulation.

Posted By: BASSHORSE
Date Posted: 18 October 2016 at 12:44pm
put them in for mini scoops,.job dun Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 October 2016 at 12:48pm
I believe they would work in a miniscoop, but the size is the problem.

Posted By: Dubbed-up
Date Posted: 18 October 2016 at 12:51pm
They definitely do work in mini-scoops.... with a deep chamber.

Date Posted: 18 October 2016 at 7:47pm
It will definitely not gonna be a horn or scoop. They are just to big for my applications.
I've read that some BP cabinets are described as slow, but for an example the nexo ls600 or ls18 isn't slow.

Could the port lenght have influence on that?

Posted By: Crashpc
Date Posted: 05 January 2017 at 3:02pm
Hey there. Quite late. I have 18SW115 in about 130-135l box tuned at 34Hz for home audio. Works good from 35Hz, does some sound down to 29Hz. I believe the length of the reflex doesn´t have to be that short. Propably 0,8. Depends... Best way is to make a prototype box, and if you cannot, best way is to make shorter reflex, and then add pieces to make it longer. Once you secure it well (screws) and seal holes and spaces between those pieces (silicone) it´will lead to your preferred tuning, and nobody will see the inner work anyway.

-------------
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?

Date Posted: 11 January 2017 at 10:04pm
Two B&C 18SW115-8 drivers are ordered for some testing. Within a couple of weeks I want to measure two different cabs with REW.

A reccomended cab from B&C is already made from mdf (for testing).
If the port noise is to loud (what I expect) there will be build another cab with a bigger (and flared) port.

Also the TH-18 from Xoc1 seems interesting..

PS: Testing will be done with a NEXT MQ10000 (bridged) and a EV DC-ONE.

Date Posted: 11 January 2017 at 10:39pm
Wow, awesome!

I always used B&C speakers, and didnt like its high excursion performance (some unwanted noise coming out of the speaker 12PS100,12TBX100,15PS76,15PS100,15TBX100,18PS76,18PZB100,18TBX100). When mounted in the box, it wasnt audible (mostly), but I was not really happy. Now with 18SW115, its different league. Driven to Xmax of about +-15mm, the cone movement is very "cultivated" with very little (expectable amount) of noise. I was surprised positively with this. They finally DID IT!
Good times coming. :-)

150l@35Hz should work, but yeah, the bassreflex area is "thin line walking" with 340mm2. Will loose efficiency when driven with large signal. I got 512 on mine, and that´s where I would say no less for noise free audio. With 21", Ill have to approach 650-700cm2 mark.

-------------
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 12 January 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Two B&C 18SW115-8 drivers are ordered for some testing. Within a couple of weeks I want to measure two different cabs with REW.

A reccomended cab from B&C is already made from mdf (for testing).
If the port noise is to loud (what I expect) there will be build another cab with a bigger (and flared) port.

Also the TH-18 from Xoc1 seems interesting..

PS: Testing will be done with a NEXT MQ10000 (bridged) and a EV DC-ONE.

I would recommend the Keystone TH design for that driver if you go that route. There are comparisons to a reflex loaded with the same driver too

Date Posted: 12 January 2017 at 10:34am
I've read about the keystone sub, but the dimensions are not ideal for my applications.
The Th-18 with its dimensions would be better suited for me.

Eventually like al builds there have to be made compromises between SPL,low frequency extension and size. 

I hope the BR will perform up to my expectations, if that is not the case I will look further (maybe even BP).

Date Posted: 14 January 2017 at 5:55pm
I have received the driver's earlier then expected (and that's not a problem LOL)

Today I will play some music over them, measuring will be done next week.

Date Posted: 14 January 2017 at 6:01pm
Thats a shame :-D
Hope you like them after you test them. I found these to be superb compared to previous B&C versions.
The bad side is that now they spoiled me with 21DS115. The speaker looks like "business." Or rather GORE. ;-D
Two 18SW115 are stronger still, so be careful of yourself at home. We dont want to loose you.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 January 2017 at 2:19pm
First results with the recommended enclosure from the b&c website was disapointing. 
Not much SPL and overal not good sound reproduction.

Next weekend I will also build a TH-18 tot do some testing.

Date Posted: 16 January 2017 at 7:09pm
That´s weird. It should do a lot. Of course, not very sensitive driver, but goes deep easily. Also modern high-Bl drivers with higher impedance need higher voltages and equalization to drive these at rated powers. Conventional usage is not a way to go for best outcome with these.

-------------

Posted By: Marko
Date Posted: 16 January 2017 at 8:38pm

First results with the recommended enclosure from the b&c website was disapointing. 
Not much SPL and overal not good sound reproduction.

Next weekend I will also build a TH-18 tot do some testing.

B&C SUB 18 needs heavy bracing inside to stop panels from resonating! This is really important especialy with this monster driver!

Date Posted: 17 January 2017 at 7:54am
ive A&B the 2 differant cabs ,the b&c sub & this mini scoop,..ok the sub was a lot smaller but also a 3rd of the output of the scoop,. to me that speaker was a waste in that b&c sub,.probably good for the smaller b&c's but not the sw,.try & get your hands on a mini scoop,i suppose the tapped horn would work aswell but as marko said,, what ever cab you go for you need some real solid bracing,.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 17 January 2017 at 10:09am
And whatever your findings may be, if you want to test them in some huge(1x1x0.6m) tapped horns to see what they can do, i am still curious how these drivers would perform in my Tapped horns. Where are you from?

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Posted By: osse
Date Posted: 17 January 2017 at 10:24am
Those mini scoops look rather big still, how many liters is that one, 400?

I've built a pair of keystones with these drivers that I use atm, monster output very clean sounding, solid nice kick 100-110 hz.

Could bark a bit more tho to my taste for techno but I guess it's due to the low distortion.. sounds different compared to my flh's which has a nice compression bark up close and more 'snappy' sound but not even close in output at a little less than double the liters(I have four t30 3012lf loaded, eight would probably be somewhat equivalent with two keystones)

Date Posted: 17 January 2017 at 10:50am
The used design was the S18CN from the B&C site, and was build with the recommended bracing. 

The TH-18 is preferred with it's dimensions.

@Teunos I'm from Helden (near Venlo) ;)

Date Posted: 26 January 2017 at 5:20pm
Th-18 it is! The output was very nice, and deep enough.
They will have a full grill, and two m20 plates for a top cabinet (what will be the next project).

The panels for the cabinet will be done by a professional company.
Paint and overal finish will be done by myself.

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 7:10am
pics or it didn't happen....

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Posted By: t.geessounds
Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 12:24pm
ya pic please

Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 7:50pm
Unfortanetely I have no pics from the TH-18 EmbarrassedDisapprove

But I have some of the recommended B&C enclosure.

Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 8:46pm
you currently have no pictures of your ready build th-18 or of your sub18... the two boxes you test AND build to which you're going to use one of and maybe build a pair of?

come on dude... get your phone camera out and let's have a butchers at ya handy work...

-------------

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

you currently have no pictures of your ready build th-18 or of your sub18... the two boxes you test AND build to which you're going to use one of and maybe build a pair of?

come on dude... get your phone camera out and let's have a butchers at ya handy work...

The panels for the cabinet will be done by a professional company.
Paint and overal finish will be done by myself.

I take it the cabs have gone back to the Professionals , Cool

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 9:08pm
I was just trying to pull the guys chain a little... we all love looks at fresh cabs! I haven't seen a fresh th-18 in a long time......

-------------

Date Posted: 27 January 2017 at 9:43pm
I understand that you want to see some pics ;)
Tomorrow I will post the pictures of the B&C cab.

Why don't I build them myself? I just don't have the right equipment, and the goal is pro finish cabs. That's the reason I will only do the finish (paint, grill, assembly of driver handles etc.)

Ps: on a dutch forum there are some nice TH-18's with powersoft plate amps ;)

Date Posted: 04 February 2017 at 8:01pm
A small update Smile

The processing for the complete system will be done by a Xilica XP3060.
For amplification I am thinking of a fp14000 (copy)Ermm and a fp10000q for the top cabinets.

And I bought a pair B&C DE800 drivers with two 18sound XR1496 horns.
I also have a pair B&C 12NW76 drivers laying around, but they don't sim great in a reflex enclosure.
The top cabinet wil be the next project Embarrassed 

A pic of the DE800 (with horn) and a 12NW76.

And a pic of the S18CN.

I have two more foto's, but since the build I have a new phone Cry

Date Posted: 04 February 2017 at 8:21pm
Nice! 12NW76 speakers are very sensitive and loud, but sure, don´t go low. I would not hesitate to equalize these heavily though. It can take some excursion.

I finally made my decision and bought 21DS115. Behaves very well, I´d say the same as 18SW115, except for that it goes few Hz lower.

Let us know how do you feel about your S18CN build after some burn-in.

-------------

Posted By: Teunos
Date Posted: 04 February 2017 at 8:22pm
Yup, the nw76 isnt a great reflex driver. Mine are in sealed monitors. They dont drop very low, but produce a very nice tight punchy sound very well suited as vocal stage monitors. Definitely always require a sub when used as tops in a pa system.

-------------
Best regards,
Teun.

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 04 February 2017 at 10:14pm
Yeah, that value of Qts says although they will work in a reflex box and it'll be fairly small, you'll never get any significant low end out of them. But I bet they are good for vocals and fast transients, very strong motor in that relatively small driver with strong damping. I bet they'd make a good horn driver too with the right design.

Date Posted: 04 February 2017 at 10:32pm
The top cabs will only be used 100 Hz and up. So maybe the 12NW76 wil work. The aim is a small 12/1.4 reflex cab. The nw76 sims good enough tuned at 80 Hz but de cab would be +-26 L, that's pretty small, and the xr1496/de800 is pretty deep.

I am going to simulate some cabs with winISD, and in the end I will build a test cab.

Date Posted: 07 February 2017 at 10:53am
I'm thinking of a different low/mid driver for the top cabinet. Any reccomendations?
The relfex cab will be tw audio m8 style but then 12" format. 
The reason is because I can place flying brackets on the side for an U brace.

Date Posted: 16 February 2017 at 10:14am
Probably the 12NW76 will be sold and as a replacement I was thinking of the RCF MB12N405. 
It can handle double the power, and sims better tuned at 60 Hz (almost 3 dB louder).

I hope the TH-18 subs are done by next week.

Date Posted: 06 March 2017 at 11:00pm
After some busy weeks I finaly had time to build something!

First cabinet is ready for sanding and a nice paintjob.

Posted By: Speaker Sol
Date Posted: 07 March 2017 at 12:25am

Very nice.

Date Posted: 21 March 2017 at 2:18pm
Here is my 18SW115 (135l, 34Hz). Does good job, but will be replaced by 21DS115.

Today I got it past Xmax for a while (16,5mm), and even under tuning, it can do a lot, while staying quiet in terms of port or cone noises. It did very quiet friction hissing noises around the surround and wires, so if it played some real sound, it would not be noticable except for distortion of the sound if any. Awesome driver, really. Hope 21DS115 gets me even further.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 March 2017 at 8:16pm
@Crashpc
Nice!

At the moment I'm making some sketches for the mid/highs.
30L Net (I know that's small) but I'm gonna try the 12NW76.

Date Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:15am
Yeah, I'm pretty sure 21" will be absolute "solution" for me for a while.

I'm thinking about larger tops too. Maybe 10NW64, but with some slightly larger horn for high tone drivers, and I cannot figure out how to make it compact enaugh for PC table.

-------------

Posted By: osse
Date Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:58am

@Crashpc
Nice!

At the moment I'm making some sketches for the mid/highs.
30L Net (I know that's small) but I'm gonna try the 12NW76.

Very interesting system, I have a pair of 18sw115 loaded keystones which are great but I wonder how much you win compared to a small BR cab like yours with close to the same -3dB.

Would be interesting to hear your plans for the 21ds115 and 12nw76. I've been looking at the 12nw76 driver and got particularly interested in it when I saw the BR top cab b&c has suggested on their site using it, very strong above 100

Date Posted: 23 March 2017 at 4:46pm
I've read that a (good designed) TH will win 6dB over a single reflex enclosure with the same driver.

I'm also very curious towards the 12NW76, they have to reach 80/90 Hz.
The current design I have for the 12NW76 is tuned at 70 Hz with 30 L Net volume.

Date Posted: 24 March 2017 at 7:48pm
Smitske96:
It's not because of you saying it, but I absolutely hate that claim. There are few threads on diyaudo, one is even called "case study" about TH being 6db louder. That is very misleading generalization. It only works for certain bandwith without box volume comparison. I.E. per driver maximum performance. But once you check with box volume suited for BR box, and frequency bandwith, TH really doesn't run anywhere. So one should make his choice carefully. Th also has specific colour and distortions. Distinctively different than BR. Generally lower, but again, not across the whole bandwith. I like BR boxes more because of that...

-------------

Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 12:59am
Ofcourse there are some compromises to be made! But if you would build a cab tuned to 35 Hz, the volume would still be 200 L +-. So a real comparison would be, a cab tuned to 35 Hz with the 18sw115. If the BR cab would come on top in sound quality that's just a + for the BR. If the TH could outrun the BR in SPL that would be a + on the TH. 

Just to be clear, my comparison is made to a BR cab tuned to 35Hz (approximately).
And I am very interested to do a comparison with a BR cab with the same tuning.

Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 2:37am
I did compared a double 18 reflex with internal volume of 450lit and tuned to 37hz to a TH single 18 with the same driver.
The double 18 stomped the TH is every aspect possible. But it does need double the power.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I did compared a double 18 reflex with internal volume of 450lit and tuned to 37hz to a TH single 18 with the same driver.
The double 18 stomped the TH is every aspect possible. But it does need double the power.

What were size/weight differences?

Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:43am
The 218 is 1160x580x780, 88kg.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 2:25pm
smitske96: My 18SW115 box is 34Hz and 135l.

http://www.picfront.org/d/9xj1" rel="nofollow">

I doubt it´s possible to make such small 18" TH with comparable range or SPL. Something would have to go...

-------------

Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 5:49pm
Single 18 BR wont stand a chance against a TH, no mater the size.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 25 March 2017 at 8:50pm
Bhaha I'd like to see how that one (really small) folds for more SPL, efficiency, usable bandwith, especially for lows, all at once, for basdreflex to loose. Damn, if all that was true, I would not use BR boxes for quite some time. Didn't happen for obvious reasons. For restricted volumes, the physics works as always did, so no magic happens with THs.

-------------

Posted By: RMS65
Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:56am
Hallo!
I am new to the forum.
I would like to made bass reflex for a group starring my son.
We have a sound system that is becoming too small.
Even given the time to watch the B & C 18SW115 8Ohm.
The game is played folk music and fun.
I need to carry out live music.
By just making will not be a problem.
The problem I see in the design.
Therefore, I appeal to you if there is any possibility to help me in the calculation of the box.

Thank you.

Jani

Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

Bhaha I'd like to see how that one (really small) folds for more SPL, efficiency, usable bandwith, especially for lows, all at once, for basdreflex to loose. Damn, if all that was true, I would not use BR boxes for quite some time. Didn't happen for obvious reasons. For restricted volumes, the physics works as always did, so no magic happens with THs.

Single driver TH is twice the size of  a single driver reflex. So no magic.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: cookie-dj
Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:19pm
My Tham 12 which is the size of a shoebox totally outclasses a 12" BR, in fact, it outplays some 15-18" from 50hz and above!

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:41pm
Of course. I compared Cubo12 extended with some 15"s and 18"s, and it also could keep up with bigger guys above 50Hz.

You have SPL, size and range, and you always can pick only two in your favor. That way comparing yours with box that can do 35Hz well, is not fair comparison. It simply cannot do what the bigger box can. Therefore it is not generally better box. It is better box for your taste and purpose. And that's good. Nothing wrong about that.
It doesn't suit me though, as the performance under 50Hz, and especially under 40Hz, is pathetic. Otherwise I would build THs every time. I will anyways, but for different purpose...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:12pm
Cubo12 isn't a tapped horn…

Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 5:29pm
toastyghost: Yes, I´m aware. I was making a point towards size/SPL/range ratio, and TH isn´t going to break that either. I did Cubo 12 classic, and "superextended", and the second make might work in very hybrid, close to tapped horn mode. It didn´t  go low though.

RMS65:
I did quite compact bassreflex box with 18SW115, and it works very well.
http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA" rel="nofollow - http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA

It is 54*58*75cm large box made of baltic birch (15mm thick), bassreflex ports are triangular at each corner /16cm long on shorter sides of the triangle, 13cm space is left inside box towards the back wall for air to go in and out. It is tuned at 34,5Hz that way. Could be made 3-5cm shorter for more prominent bass notes. and possibly 2-3Hz higher tuning.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:10pm
Sure thing, but put two of them together and you have more physical space taken up than a single 18" tapped horn - not by much, but still more space, and double the amp power needed to boot.

As ever, you pick your compromises.

Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:35pm

toastyghost: Yes, I´m aware. I was making a point towards size/SPL/range ratio, and TH isn´t going to break that either. I did Cubo 12 classic, and "superextended", and the second make might work in very hybrid, close to tapped horn mode. It didn´t  go low though.

RMS65:
http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA - http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA

It is 54*58*75cm large box made of baltic birch (15mm thick), bassreflex ports are triangular at each corner /16cm long on shorter sides of the triangle, 13cm space is left inside box towards the back wall for air to go in and out. It is tuned at 34,5Hz that way. Could be made 3-5cm shorter for more prominent bass notes. and possibly 2-3Hz higher tuning.

Hallo!
Thanks for the information.
It is possible to get a plan.
Do you have a video of how to play Bassi?

bojana.jani@gmail.com

Thanks
Jani

Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by RMS65 RMS65 wrote:

RMS65:
http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA - http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA</a>

Hallo!

bojana.jani@gmail.com

Thanks
Jani

Literally all the information you need if you just want to rip off the design is in his post already....

Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:13pm
Sorry!
Sem naredil kaj narobe?

Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 5:04pm
How much are you looking to spend per box total?

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 6:23pm
For starters, I used two 8 Ohm bass.
Over time, however, he has two added.
I'll see how it will all take place.

Date Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:31pm
RMS64: sorry, I don´t have a build plan. Only the info I already gave you. It´s not that hard to copy from that though.
I don´t really have any video of that one.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by RMS65 RMS65 wrote:

RMS65:
http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA - http://www.picfront.org/d/9uHA

Hallo!

bojana.jani@gmail.com

Thanks
Jani
These dimensions are external or internal?
The width of 540mm, height 580mm, length 750mm
How long is the transition succeed? Vent / Port Length?
Port 160x160x vented? mm in

Thanks

Date Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:46pm
Outside dimensions. Ports are 16x16xwhatever left triangles. The lenght of those ports ends 13cm before back wall.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 12:45pm
@Crashpc

Did you already test the 21DS115?

Date Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:28pm
Still in works, while 18SW115 leaves me next week, so I should hurry up, or I end up without audio.
I tested it in the 18SW115 development box, and it was promising. So with few Hz lower tune and 60l more box volume, I can only imagine it will get better. I specially appreciate what it could do under the vent tuning. It sill moved a lot of air without noise artifacts, and could vibrate everything around.
Depends on what are you after. It seems that these woofers rock for power density in compact boxes. Especially under 40Hz. There is no other 18" or 21" box type that would work better in the same volume. But 21" gets large fast when you want to use its potential, so I might think about something like 12" or 15" tapped horns for next years to come.

-------------

Posted By: airbell
Date Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:10am

@Crashpc

Did you already test the 21DS115?

+1 also curious about the difference!Some news/updates?

Date Posted: 19 July 2017 at 7:51pm
Hey. The sub should be done today, and I'm getting it on sunday evening. S I hope there will be some fun soon. I'll report back.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:14pm
Hey. Small teaser. The box is waiting to get home from the "factory".
http://www.picfront.org/d/9AQv" rel="nofollow - http://www.picfront.org/d/9AQv

With some "padding, it's tuned slightly under 32Hz. Will measure at home what it can do with one or two ports stuffed with cloth... I'll propably make new thread about this as I don't want to exploit this one. Propanly ported boxes department..

-------------

Posted By: JAckDR
Date Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:06pm
HI guys. I want to build a compact sub for professional use with an 18SW115. My idea was to create a similar sub type QSub. I was thinking of a box with a volume of 160 liters with triangular reflex tubes. The problem is the tuning frequency. Which frequency do you recommend to ensure good sound pressure like 133-134dB? I have to use it in the live field.
Thanks you so much!

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 6:42am
Hey. You don't want to milk one bassreflex subwoofer(driver) for steady output with this SPL. I'm not sure what Qsub thingie is...

The driver likes 34-40 Hz tuning.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:09am
Put it in a decent tapped horn if you need that sort of SPL from one box.

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:28am
Agreed!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 9:50am
or ass mini scoop 

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 6:05pm
The Qsub has an output of 133 dB (peak) and is a box in bass reflex with a lower speaker than the B& C..Also the brand is a guarantee! For the tapped horn, some ideas? I'm open to all options! There is no project for this speaker in the live range (for which it was created) ...

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 6:40pm
133db peak is very vague parameter. Seriously.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:03pm
The classic parameter in a data sheet of a professional loudspeaker...There are those who lie and those who indicate a true parameter. None indicates the peak frequency ..

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:04pm
does anyone have a project for the live sector?

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:08pm
JAckDR: That´s why it´s close to meaningless, unless we put it in certain situation and usage scenario.

-------------

Posted By: bass*en*mass
Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:29pm
qsubs are tuned quite high, not much below 40hz.. if you are fine with that a rel. high tuned tapped horn might be the most economic use of a single driver? (if size doesnt matter..)

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 11:00pm
Qsub is a shitty box. It that is what impress you, your standards are quite low.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 11:12pm
I listened and worked with the original and I can assure you that it's not just a shitty box. The timbre is excellent even if the project is rather simple. Together with the satellites of the same series it was a standard for quality live productions ... We're probably not talking about the same loudspeaker ...

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 11:29pm
Obviously I do not say that it is the best on the market, but I see it as a good starting point

Date Posted: 10 January 2018 at 11:32pm
Compared to whats out there for way less money? Yeah, it is shit.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: bcs
Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Put it in a decent tapped horn if you need that sort of SPL from one box.

Hi Kyle

What in your opinion would be a decent tapped horn, the cyclops maby? I am also looking to get a few cabs made around the similar driver.

Mike

Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 4:24pm
keystone subs will go lower than cyclops and are tried and tested with 18sw115s..

Posted By: sn95
Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

keystone subs will go lower than cyclops and are tried and tested with 18sw115s..
thats it go low ? I think i read somewhere at the cyclops CBX played down to 30 hz.

Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 6:30pm
Almost everything goes down to 30Hz. It depends on the actual power output it delivers at this frequency.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 6:44pm
according to the sims i have seen/afaik/remember, the regular cyclops are not tuned very low.. around 50hz.. the extended version propably rather 40ish hz, keystone regular around 45hz, extended about 35hz?

Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 7:28pm
Cyclop, TH118, Keystone, all not very big boxes, so 40hz real output with a -3db point at 35ish HZ is what you realistically get from them.
For real 30hz performance, you should look at something like the OT horn or similar design.
Bigger boxes needed for sure, so it is all a compromise.
Once you start thinking truck pack, things get complicated fast.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: bcs
Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 7:57pm
I am not so experienced as you guys here but if 30hz is needed wouldn't band pass cabs be better to use, maby X1?

Date Posted: 11 January 2018 at 10:02pm
Better is also very broad term. It gives out great SPL for one box, but has also many disadvantages.

-------------

Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 12 January 2018 at 8:12am
Standard Cyclops has 40hz with Fane Prime even though Staip said 45.  Has a very reflex sound.

Not an enjoyable build, think about getting bracing in, need a carpenters mind, or one better than mine :)

Very high attack and subby cab though. Only time I have ever liked sound of non reflex cab in small space

Sadly the FSP link is broken. Link below (the builder) was me.

https://forum.speakerplans.com/beware-the-one-eyed-monster_topic39393.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.speakerplans.com/beware-the-one-eyed-monster_topic39393.html

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Posted By: DJ Flowtunes
Date Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:18pm
Hello I know this may be late but did you make the box yourself. Cause I am also interested in the driver and I am looking for the best of both worlds that is the best sound with the smallest possible size and weight. That's why I like your box. Please if you didn't build it yourself who did. I am based in Maryland and have been trying to get a good box builder. Any help will be appreciated 

Posted By: DJ Flowtunes
Date Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:20pm
Hello I know this may be late but did you make the box yourself. Cause I am also interested in the driver and I am looking for the best of both worlds that is the best sound with the smallest possible size and weight. That's why I like your box. Please if you didn't build it yourself who did. I am based in Maryland and have been trying to get a good box builder. Any help will be appreciated 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net