Print Page | Close Window

what amp for bms4554

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Newbie Discussion
Forum Description: Newbie Discussion/Questions. Look less stupid here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=98280
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 4:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: what amp for bms4554
Posted By: Nikkolas
Subject: what amp for bms4554
Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 6:33pm
hi all....im curently powering my 2 bms4554 with a t.amp600 and im not really satisfied with the sound quality of this amp. any suggestions on whats a more suitable amp for these drivers? 
thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: cookie-dj
Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 7:01pm
Matrix XT800

-------------
You can't polish a turd!

Posted By: krazyneil
Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:04pm
something class AB , nice matrix or mc2 if you can afford one

-------------
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:13pm
PKN XD XE2500, 5002 with 500KS/s sample rate,
LC4004U with 250KS/s sample rate
All can be loaded with 2R (or less..) per channel, we are doing it ALL line arrays on high-mids.
Sounds better, cleaner than most of class-AB analog amp + lot more dynamics//headroom!
Just check understandibility of human speech, voices on large SPL...

PS.: do not forget to set EQs to 0dB, these needs lot less correction (usually)

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:34pm
I forget to say: Be very careful to mixing amps per active channel. Better to use same type of amplifier on every channel in the system.
There are very different phase vs. power vs. frequency characteristics of amplifiers which may not correctable even with the best LMS!
I just wanted to avoid ending up with in-coherent phase response ruining sound quality & pulse response.

Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:47pm
thanks for the inputs here guys....matrix and pkn are top notch amps no question about that.
wish i could afford one of the above mentioned models, but realistically are a bit out of my wallet size :) the only amp i could find so far that suits my budget is the ART SLA-2 amp. any words on this amp? 

Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:52pm

Date Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

I forget to say: Be very careful to mixing amps per active channel. Better to use same type of amplifier on every channel in the system.
There are very different phase vs. power vs. frequency characteristics of amplifiers which may not correctable even with the best LMS!
I just wanted to avoid ending up with in-coherent phase response ruining sound quality & pulse response.

interesting....so running the same amp brand on all the system and just change the model of the amp is the best way to go huh? 
but when budget and location come into place things change i guess. 
so far im trying to mix and match amps in a way that it makes sense to me. from the little i know so far, im trying to use only torroidal amps for now. so im using only torroidals (prolines on bass, c audio on mids and tamp on tops) and have a powersoft digam as a spare amp in the rack for that emergency situation. 
does it make sense or i got it all wrong? :) 

Date Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:30am
Having one make of amp does have some advantages but realistically you use what you've got ,sh matrix can be had quite cheap if you don't need big power ,I have some scuffy 2u 600 on ebay at the moment so can be done ,pkn sound very nice but not cheap ,mc2 or lab or Chevin can be had but tent to be dearer depends on budget really

-------------

Posted By: m0gsi
Date Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:32pm
What's your budget?

Date Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:44pm
300-400eu max

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 13 April 2017 at 2:10pm
What sort of choice of amps do you have available in Cyprus? Have you tried borrowing other amps to test? It may not be your present amp, but some other issue, eg crossover or cabling. Worth checking that before buying anything else.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: Jo bg
Date Posted: 13 April 2017 at 4:11pm
hi
i bought a very used labgruppen lab1000 for my 1.4" cds and i'm very happy; i'm running digital inukes under 1 khz but wanted something better above that - maybe just psycoacoustics but at least it's not an all behringer rack - note that i'm  happy with the inukes under 1khz.
the lab1000 is class AB, sounds quite good to me and many others, honestly rated at 350 at 8 ohm and 550 at 4 so it could handle a couple of cds a channel, it has clip limiters, nice detailed led vu meters 2 sensitivy settings so i can set it at 1.7 volts and gain more headroom in the dcx limiter, short circuit, high frequency and other protections so i'm a little more confident in using it with the most fragile driver of my system. and it is beautiful; ok above an inuke almost every amp is...

downsides? old tech, something could go bad inside... it has been working strong for 6 months but i'm going to have it checked by a professional. and the WEIGHT. at 19 kilos it's not far from 4 inuke6000 (5.5 kg each), but you are allready devoted to thoroidals so that may be light for you.
for me, i'll stay digital under 1000hz, and if i could afford good digital amps for the tops i'd let class AB for hifi... 

edit. i paid it 300 euros so fits your budget.
ideally though i like the idea of same  amps for everything, sounds right for a lot of reasons.
in the past we used to rent two 4 channel lab10.000fp to run the system and was really easy to set up and use and allowed different voltage peak limiters on each channel.

Date Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

What sort of choice of amps do you have available in Cyprus? Have you tried borrowing other amps to test? It may not be your present amp, but some other issue, eg crossover or cabling. Worth checking that before buying anything else.

no other issues like xover or cables.....so far i have 3 options. either a new art sla1 or sla2 from thomann. a used caudio st400 or a used lab gruppen lab1300c. thats the options so far

Date Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:45am
The Art´s are a bit small. The best option sounds like the Lab. Just have it serviced or checked before you use it.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 14 April 2017 at 8:35pm
isnt the 1300c (8Ω / 2X350W) a bit too much for driving 2 bms 4554 (8Ω / 80W)?

Date Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:08pm
no its fine ,a bit of headroom is preferable to a to low powered amp

-------------

Date Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:19pm

The Art´s are a bit small. The best option sounds like the Lab. Just have it serviced or checked before you use it.

whats there to look for before buying this amp? any known issues?

Date Posted: 15 April 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Nikkolas Nikkolas wrote:

whats there to look for before buying this amp? any known issues?

No, no issues. It´s just that 300/400€ sounds quite cheap for that amp. I was just wondering if it was 100% ok.  Smile

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net