Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem connecting MiniDSP to PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem connecting MiniDSP to PA
    Posted: 14 April 2016 at 12:40pm
My MiniDSP 2x4 has just arrived and iv downloaded the 2/4 advanced software and done all the necessary set up.

i have my source (laptop) connected to the DSP via a 3.5mm to RCA cable into inputs 1 & 2,
The DSP is then connected by RCA to 3.5mm from channels 1 & 2 too the 3.5 input of my 2 channel digital amp (i use this amp constantly and would normally connect it by 3.5mm cable to my laptop and it works fine) The amp is connected to a passive PA speaker which obviously has an inbuilt cross over.

i have done all this, changed absolutely nothing in the DSP settings but when i connect it all up and hit play all the signal is being sent to the woofer of the PA and nothing to the tweeter so it obviously sounds worse than rubbish and i cant figure out whats wrong.

Is there something in the original set up of the DSP that would be doing it or am i using the wrong cables possibly?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 1:16pm
And are you only connecting one output of your amp. to this speaker? Sounds like it.

What are you trying to do? Bi-amp the speaker so that one amplifier channel drives the woofer and that the other drives everything above it? If so you need to remove the passive crossover and directly connect your amplifier to the right components of the cab. You have already filtered the signals in the miniDSP so you don't want to do it again with passive filtering.
tommontereye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 2:06pm
The speaker runs off one channel of the amp correct, same as i always have when using it before and it works perfectly, i bought the DSP because i am building a sub (not done yet) and i wanted to apply a high pass filter to the PA at 120Hz and send the rest to the sub.

since i am only running the one speaker not left and right am i doing the right thing by having the 3.5 connected to both inputs or should i just be running a 3.5 to single RCA on one output and same out the other side?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 2:11pm
i dont the dsp to act as a cross over i just want it to apply low/high pass filters and possibly delays for the sub, i cant imagine this is particularly difficult im just simply too new to understand what im doing wrong
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 2:56pm
Swap the red and white RCA connectors on the MiniDSP end.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 3:04pm
What he said, sounds like you are sending <120Hz to your cabinet instead of >120Hz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 9:50pm
I tried swapping the cables around on both the in and the out and it didn't make a difference so I'm not sure that's it unfortunately

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

What he said, sounds like you are sending <120Hz to your cabinet instead of >120Hz.

I thought that too so I set the dsp back to regular settings and didn't put any filters on but had the same problem.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 10:38pm
Swapping the inputs round won't make a difference assuming you have a valid signal coming into both L+R of the MiniDSP.

Time to go back to basics. Something must be wrong in the MiniDSP settings. Set up output one with zero processing, no filters, 0db gain. Then connect just output one to one of your amplifier channels, and the output of the amplifier channel to a cabinet.

If you can't get a full range signal out of the cab something is wrong with the MiniDSP settings, or the caninet crossover. You can eliminate the cab crossover by plugging your source direct to the amplifier channel. If that works your issue has to be with the MiniDSP settings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 5:25am

Swapping the inputs round won't make a difference assuming you have a valid signal coming into both L+R of the MiniDSP.

Time to go back to basics. Something must be wrong in the MiniDSP settings. Set up output one with zero processing, no filters, 0db gain. Then connect just output one to one of your amplifier channels, and the output of the amplifier channel to a cabinet.

If you can't get a full range signal out of the cab something is wrong with the MiniDSP settings, or the caninet crossover. You can eliminate the cab crossover by plugging your source direct to the amplifier channel. If that works your issue has to be with the MiniDSP settings.

Thank you! Il try when I get home, when I make this connection I only need to use single RCA to RCA cables with a 3.5 stereo jack adapter on both sides right?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 8:53am
Yeah, assuming both L+R signals are going into the MiniDSP ok you only really need to plug in on each end. To cover all bases if you like plug the output lead into both output one and output 2 of the MiniDSP, and set up both outputs to have no filtering and 0dB gain. Then at least whatever channel of the amplifier you plug the speaker into it should be seeing a signal.

Tbh it shouldn't be that hard to get working, there must be something fairly basic wrong. I have never used the software myself but  I'd also be very carefully re-reading the manual just in case something got missed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 10:50am

Yeah, assuming both L+R signals are going into the MiniDSP ok you only really need to plug in on each end. To cover all bases if you like plug the output lead into both output one and output 2 of the MiniDSP, and set up both outputs to have no filtering and 0dB gain. Then at least whatever channel of the amplifier you plug the speaker into it should be seeing a signal.

Tbh it shouldn't be that hard to get working, there must be something fairly basic wrong. I have never used the software myself but  I'd also be very carefully re-reading the manual just in case something got missed.

Got afew different mono cables and tampered with the high/low pass filters and all is good. thank you for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply