Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with 12v system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with 12v system
    Posted: 10 March 2014 at 4:17pm
Greetings!

I built a mono system which is mono and is using a behringer xenyx 302usb as a mixer and sure electronics 2x25w amplifier.Speakers are p.audio hp-10w and p.audio pht-409.

The problem is that id like to get more volume out of it but the thing starts to clip and distort.

Do I need:

1.More power from the battery for example 18v or 24v instead of 12v?

2.More powerful amplifier 2x50w instead of 2x25w?

3.Something else,what?

Thanks!

"what!?"
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 4:21pm
Probably a gain problem with your amplifier. You have to set the gain to the highest when using a mobile phone or other low output device.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 4:38pm
Well my friend has a preamp and I have the mixer and the same problem occurs.

The gain setting dont have an effect on the clipping.

Maybe 12volts is not enough for the speakers and the amplifier?

"what!?"
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 5:00pm
How do you mean 'The gain setting dont have an effect on the clipping'? Have you tried it or do you assume it? If you use a pre amp it shouldn't be on the highest setting.

I thought of the ta2024 version but that's the 15 watt version. Your amp is not suited for 12 volt usage, it only delivers around 10 watts in 4 ohms. You should look into buying TA2020 based amps or the MaxAmp from Accusafe. Max amount watts will increase and the idle current will decrease. 

Edited by lutkeveld - 10 March 2014 at 5:01pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 5:20pm
Ive tested it.Theres a certain limit of volume which we cant cross no matter the settings of the amp/mixer. 

Maybe there is a problem with the sure amplifier.

I hope the problem can be solved.Ill order the maxamp now...
"what!?"
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 5:27pm
The problem cannot be solved. It's limited by the amplifier chip. It won't give more power unless you give it more voltage. You could step up your 12v to 24-30v to utilize it's full potential but that will use a lot more power.

Edited by lutkeveld - 10 March 2014 at 5:28pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 6:28pm
Yeah your supply voltage is too low.

One thing thing you might try is using a "car laptop power adapter". Its just a DC-DC step up converter. I've used one OK at 24V driving a Sure 2050 amplifier - set the o/p voltage at 16, 18,19 etc..... one gotcha though is that if you power up the converter before connecting/switching on the amp, the converter goes into protect, as it sees too low resistance (mebbe when charging up the smoothing caps).
I works OK though if the converter is connected first - in that case you'd want a good chunky DC switch prob rated at 10A or more in  the 12V line.

Obviously this will shorten your battery life quite a bit - so you might need to double the size of battery.

Oh yeah - get one with a higher power rating e.g. 120W.

Edited by slaz - 10 March 2014 at 6:30pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 6:38pm
Or just get a boost converter, costs almost nothing. Take this one for example: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150W-8A-DC-8-32V-to-9-46V-12v-24v-36-step-up-BOOST-converter-pc-car-power-Supply-/400557877161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d431c27a9

or this one;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-600W-10-60V-to-12-80V-24V-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Module-CAR-Power-Supply-/281214694457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4179b3b439
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 6:45pm
Thanks for the help guysThumbs UpNuff respect!

I ordered the maxamp.I want to try it anyway since ive heard a lot of good things about it and its the recommended amp for the boominator for example at the moment.

Nice to see some activity at the 12v forumClap
"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Your amp is not suited for 12 volt usage, it only delivers around 10 watts in 4 ohms. You should look into buying TA2020 based amps or the MaxAmp from Accusafe. Max amount watts will increase and the idle current will decrease. 

By the way the speakers are 8ohm so wouldnt that be like 5watts or something?
"what!?"
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:07pm
Yep something like that, would also explain why it's not going loud enough. With a maxamp and 12V you'll be looking at about 8W (no distortion) and 10W with 10% THD.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 4:38pm
What do you guys think.Is there a big difference in volume and sound quality if im usin for example 3meters of audio cable vs 1,5meters or 1meter.Does it make any difference?
"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>