Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

problem with martin raptor fan....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problem with martin raptor fan....
    Posted: 21 September 2014 at 8:19pm
so its a basic old fixture, but one unit has a broken fan.... is a pretty basic 12v DC high volume unit.

so went checking around with a multimeter [while comparing it too a working unit], got 15.5v on the PCB fan outlet, checked the fan on a 12v bench supply and that was fine, so checked the voltage at the fan which was only 1.5-2v, thus presumed a dodgy cable to the fan/connector. So i swapped that out, and still no joy. Swapped the entire fan assembly out of a working unit, and that didn't work.

so what could be going on? Why am i getting the voltage i should, yet it simply refuses to work? Tried finding a 12v supply on the PCB to solder the fan onto but failed.

ideas?
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 10:41pm
Is there a dry joint in there somewhere? Not familiar with those internals, but sounds like it might be that. Or a broken/damaged cable somewhere.
The reason you're reading the correct voltage might be because the multimeter has a very high input impedance and therefore doesn't load the circuit in any way. The voltage might be there but the current isn't... if you see what I mean.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 11:51pm
Is it on all the time or thermally controled? (Just asking)

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

The reason you're reading the correct voltage might be because the multimeter has a very high input impedance and therefore doesn't load the circuit in any way. The voltage might be there but the current isn't... if you see what I mean.

ahhh good point! will have another bash at it tomorrow evening, this time i think im going to take it out and have a proper look around. The actual control PCB is only the size of a kingsize box of matches, with about 10 components... very simple design!!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 8:41pm
well given up, and just soldered an external 12v PSU to the fan.... will try and fix it in a fortnight once i have some more time, im about to go sailing for a week, disembarking the night before the disco! But for now, its ran an hour problem free so that'll do for now!

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 23 September 2014 at 10:27pm

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 10:23pm
Fair play Pat! Clap
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 5:57am
Check the main smoothing capacitor on the PCB board, could have dried out due to the heat. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply