Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proel subwoofer driver thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireball570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proel subwoofer driver thoughts
    Posted: 25 March 2016 at 6:46am
Hey, im looking at buying 2 drivers for my Shortened versions of EV T18 subwoofers boxes. Idea is they fit exactly in the same footprint as a single MTL-1 that i made a while ago also.

Im looking for drivers for it and driver choices here in new zealand are few and far between. 

I was looking at 4ohm ones and the best one i could find is 

98TFL18WZ4 :: Proel Cone Driver 18" 4 Ohm 

ive provided a photo in the link below as well as of the boxes i made. 

http://imgur.com/a/YG4kB

I believe that model number is for the double 18 sub that proel makes not very much info out there on it. Ive been told its 
35Hz-250Hz Sensitivity 100dB 600w

The guy is willing to sell me 2 of them brand new for $1200 NZD which is about 800usd roughly. Is that a good price? and would they go pretty good in these cabinets. 

Or would you choose a 8ohm driver. I had planned on running each off a 4ohm channel. Rather than having to bring 2 of them to smaller events to get 4ohm.

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks a bunch
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 7:42am
100dB sensitivity for a single subwoofer driver is impossible.

Could the drivers be 8 Ohms and the 2x18 cab be 4 Ohms?
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
fireball570 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireball570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 8:43am
Thanks for the reply. I asked if he had any 4 ohm drivers and that I needed 2. They said they had 2 4ohm drivers of that spec. That's just specs they gave me so I'm not sure. Might even try find different subs if those don't look that good.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 9:46am
I have no issue with most things Proel, mostly nice gear, and nice people to deal with.

However $800 USD is an awful lot for a couple of, at best, OEM rebadged drivers, worst case, half decent chinese generics.

For that sort of money, you could have your pick of branded top end 18" drivers, and still get them slow boated.

Also, the only reference I can find for them is the Janson/Trademe.nz, with nothing coming up on proel.co.uk or .com. This would tend me to think these are either New, Old Stock, or pull from damaged boxes. In which case even more case for them being a bit "trop cher".

I can imagine availability in NZ of a lot of things is an issue, due to import issues, but strikes me as painfully expensive.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 9:59am
Your pic from Jansen Audio is actually nicked from this site: http://forum.vegalab.ru/showthread.php?t=52380 which has a couple of more detailed pics implying it's a rebadged 18Sound 18LW1400, for what it's worth.

It's a decent enough driver but I'm not an expert on boxes like the T18 so I don't know if it'd be particularly well suited to your use, sorry.

In the UK, it's listed for about £210 (eg here); with current exchange rates that's about $443 NZ, but of course I appreciate that doesn't take into account the markup you'll see on a lot of stuff for being in a somewhat remote part of the world.

The 100dB spec was for the whole Proel TFL 218 cabinet, not just the individual driver.

PS, As Matt says, that model of cab is no longer produced - I seem to remember the TFL series being around in the late 90's/early 2000's; so these are most likely drivers pulled from an old cab thus could have already seen a lot of wear & tear.

Edited by DMorison - 25 March 2016 at 10:09am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 10:22am
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Your pic from Jansen Audio is actually nicked from this site: http://forum.vegalab.ru/showthread.php?t=52380 which has a couple of more detailed pics implying it's a rebadged 18Sound 18LW1400, for what it's worth.

It's a decent enough driver but I'm not an expert on boxes like the T18 so I don't know if it'd be particularly well suited to your use, sorry.

In the UK, it's listed for about £210 (eg here); with current exchange rates that's about $443 NZ, but of course I appreciate that doesn't take into account the markup you'll see on a lot of stuff for being in a somewhat remote part of the world.

The 100dB spec was for the whole Proel TFL 218 cabinet, not just the individual driver.

PS, As Matt says, that model of cab is no longer produced - I seem to remember the TFL series being around in the late 90's/early 2000's; so these are most likely drivers pulled from an old cab thus could have already seen a lot of wear & tear.
Nice spot on the 18LW1400.

So yes, perfectly nice drivers, OEM rebadge. I had a sneaking suspicion that Proel would keep it italian in some way. The more I use and sell the Proel stuff, the more you appreciate it, as offering decent value.

However, my gut instinct is, despite a highish BL, I think this drivers going to work well as a reflex driver. Andy from Blue Aran is better at reading TS specs than me, but with a 100 EBP (F/Qes) does tend to suggest ported reflex box use.

But, brand new boxed at NZ$450 each, you could spend another NZ$200 on shipping and still work out cheaper. Having flown pallets of heavy PA gear (QSC RMX!!) to a client in Uganda, from the UK, there is no way 2 off 15Kg boxes should cost you NZ$200 in shipping!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
fireball570 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireball570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 11:47am
Thanks for taking the time in your responses. Heaps of things to think about. I think I might hunt around for something different. Only problem is If i were to import some drivers you have to pay %15 gst ontop which adds a fair chunk to the price to get them here.

Do you think that kind of frequency response and wattage would suit these subs? If I find some good drivers I might replace the ones in my mtl-1s as well.

Also do you guys think 600w would be about right for this box or could I go even higher. Whats highest wattage you would put through this box. Mines very well constructed so she won't fall apart. Better than the original.
Thanks again.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 12:00pm
Bear in mind, regarding your 15% GST that any retailer making an export sale should be able to sell tax free, so in the case of the UK you would save the 20% VAT (GST) when making the purchase.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:49pm
If you buy from Thomann they will freight 2 drivers to NZ for 50 euro. that means for $1200 NZ you can get 2 drivers costing around 330 euro each which gives you a very good range to choose from and they normally take about a week to arrive.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by fireball570 fireball570 wrote:

Do you think that kind of frequency response and wattage would suit these subs? If I find some good drivers I might replace the ones in my mtl-1s as well.

Also do you guys think 600w would be about right for this box or could I go even higher. Whats highest wattage you would put through this box. Mines very well constructed so she won't fall apart. Better than the original.
Thanks again.

Give "Bee" on this forum a shout, he's seemingly done quite a few trials of different drivers in T18 style cabs, he'd likely be able to give you a better idea of how suitable they'd be and best practice for powering them if so.

HTH,
David.
 Post Reply Post Reply