Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSL KA2401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSL KA2401
    Posted: 21 July 2016 at 8:26am
Hi,

Anyone on here know where or have the schematic for this PSL KA2401 amplifier?
How about contact details for John Smith or R Skuse?

Thanks

Michael
Michael Shaw repairs everything electronic for everyone
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 6:32pm
File under B1N.  You're highly unlikely to find any service information and I wouldn't bother if you did.

When they blow up, they typically make a mess.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:18pm

The only thing you'll need is this. Sorry if what's been said is brutal, but it's the truth unfortunately.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
poddack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:42am
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.
By the state of the old transistors with holes in them you might be surprised that I already knew this.
*face palm*

A shout out to anyone professional on here who would like to chip in.

Thanks

Michael
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 2:55pm
Well, I would like to see those holes in those transistors. Post some quality pics. Btw, Kevin is on board. He likes to repair amps with burnt holes through the heatsinks. LOL
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 6:32pm
The last one I saw where it had blown holes in the Mosfets, had also done a vapour deposition of all of the tracks from the PCB on the inside of the chassis.

The cost of new Mosfets will far exceed the value of the amplifier.

It may not be the news you want to hear but I'm afraid as an electronic engineer and experienced amplifier repairer that amplifier is going to be beyond help.

M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 7:46pm
What are they ? Hitachi 2SK135/2SJ50 ? Good luck finding those. Ouch
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:30pm
BUZ900D or 901D and the complementary 905/906 if I remember correctly, on ridiculously undersized heatsinks.

You can get them, probably £15 or more each.
poddack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:34pm
I managed to get a full set for a not so unreasonable price, the customer has already accepted the quote.
The PCB has been scrubbed and tracks are repaired nicely.
The heatsinks don't have holes blasted in them.
And it works pending a careful eye.
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 9:02pm
Repaired a few of these amps in the past (made in flowers hill Bristol if my memory is correct), but they do have a habit of when the FETs go they take out half the board as well AngryAngry.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 11:16pm
Sounds like you've managed ok without the service information.

If you'd mentioned what stage you were at with the repair, you might have got slightly different replies but the point still stands that there is very little good to be said about the design of the amplifier. The one I had on the bench was not repairable and the general consensus is that they're just a pyrotechnic waiting to happen.  Even if one came to me that wasn't too badly damaged, I wouldn't recommend repair to the customer.  Hopefully the one you've got in will behave itself.

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2016 at 8:54pm
Quote I managed to get a full set for a not so unreasonable price

Not hitachi's unless they're second hand! (or fake).

Nearest modern new equiv would be the Exicon but hardly 'reasonable' price either!

Lateral fets are becoming dearer and scarcer.

I've just fixed a KA but it wasn't output related.

The biggest let down is the inrush resistor which is metalclad and mounted against the pcb. When the output stage fails it usually sets fire to the board. In the past I've hack-sawn the carbonised section away and redesigned the circuit on the chassis in a non-flammable area. But these days it's not cost-effective unless the owner has some sentimental attachment to his amplifier. And I reserve that trend for HH, Citronic and C-Audio these days.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>