Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Push/Pull Slot Loaded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push/Pull Slot Loaded
    Posted: 29 June 2011 at 11:53pm
Knocked this up today after much reading of djk's past posts, loaded with a pair of 1550's...

Only had a few minutes to test it out but sounds quite punchy and appears to exhibit a bandpass effect, rolling off around 300hz, presumably because of the slot. However it doesn't appear to play as low as simmed. Will give it a better work out, and take some measurements, on Sunday!

The effective vb is 130l tuned to 38hz, filter assisted (thanks to teslaman for that one) to keep size down as the extra volume of the slot is around 30l and the ports another 25l.

Edited by mikey bear - 05 July 2011 at 11:19pm
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:35am
Regarding simms they rarely do go as low as predicted. You would probably get better results with a dedicated reflex driver.  QTS around 0.33 etc.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the info Tony. Will have another look at it. I only used the 1550's as they were available to borrow. I have a pair of JBL 2206 here which might do well above my bandpass sub in this PPSL loading.
Now lets see if I can get one built before sunday Tongue.

EDIT: Just to add, gave the cab some juice on Sunday...It appeared to play much better at low volume than when I tested in my garage. However it became apparant as volume was increased that one of the cones had a  torn surround causing some very strange noises and stopping any further testing. I'm unable to draw any conclusions about the design at this stage but it  certainly looks promising.

Edited by mikey bear - 05 July 2011 at 11:32pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:49pm
Qts=.21

Nice horn driver, will sound very lean as reflex.

I find Qts=.312 optimum for PPSL, and use 6dB of boost (HPF Q=2) at Fb. This gives minimum size and maximum bass extension.
djk
Mautopsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mautopsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 2:43pm
ok, im going to ask a stupid question, i have been trying to figure this out for a while.
are the drivers firing together? (are the cones moving towards each other) or are they wired in parallel?
And how are they simmed?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

use 6dB of boost (HPF Q=2) at Fb. This gives minimum size and maximum bass extension.

If I wanted to program this setting into a digital LMS that does not offer variable Q highpass filters (eg the DCX2496) would the same response be achieved by using a flat filter (ie Q=0.707) in combination with a PEQ boost of +6dB, at Fb, with Q=2?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Mautopsy Mautopsy wrote:

ok, im going to ask a stupid question, i have been trying to figure this out for a while.
are the drivers firing together? (are the cones moving towards each other) or are they wired in parallel?
And how are they simmed?

one of the drivers is wired opposite polarity. simmed as a reflex cabinet.

Edited by mikey bear - 03 July 2011 at 11:09pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 10:49pm
"If I wanted to program this setting into a digital LMS that does not offer variable Q highpass filters (eg the DCX2496) would the same response be achieved by using a flat filter (ie Q=0.707) in combination with a PEQ boost of +6dB, at Fb, with Q=2?"

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one. You might have to ask the manufacturer of the LMS that question. You may have to combine a filter with an eq.

Any analog eq, crossover, or amp with a high-pass filter can be modified; usually two resistors per channel.

(I've been meaning to call Crown and ask about the XTi amplifiers with DSP, if it can be done)
djk
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by mikey bear mikey bear wrote:

Originally posted by Mautopsy Mautopsy wrote:

And how are they simmed?

one of the drivers is wired opposite polarity. simmed as a reflex cabinet.

Probably a stupid question and im guessing the answer will be no but

Would it work if i flipped a driver round in my G-sub and swapped the polarity on the driver?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Adam_Iron_Horse Adam_Iron_Horse wrote:

[QUOTE=mikey bear]
Would it work if i flipped a driver round in my G-sub and swapped the polarity on the driver?

That would work just fine.
Just... why would you do that ?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 11:10pm
this is the best info i have been able to find with regard to deriving lms  settings from high pass filters with a particular q...

i am yet to fully put this info into practice but will be using the 40hz alignment on my mk2 ppsl cab.
headcleaner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:07am
ah ha! glad ive seen this. new on here an was just asking on newbie page about a compact 2 x18" solution (didnt know about this page). really interested in how this turns out for you.

im assuming you calculate the volume and port as reflex but what about the slot?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>