Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC or Matrix???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QSC or Matrix???
    Posted: 07 August 2007 at 9:37am
I'm constantly weighing up the different options for the new amp rack....for the money we have I have always thought that the RMX series were pretty good but after trawling the forum I'm not so sure. The behringer ep's seem to have nearly identical internals although I've always been wary of behringer for build quality etc. I emailed QSC and asked what they would recomend for 150w @ 16ohm and they said the rmx 1450 although my by calculations the output would be 156w @ 16ohm is that cutting it too fine? i know I need about 30% headroom on the bass but what about the top......so that leaves matrix, heard good reports and for the money they seem fair but what would you guys do QSC or matrix??
Bassmentality: Ska, reggae, funk & Hip hop every month @ The Cellar, Oxford
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 9:58am
156w isnt really leaving much headroom, if possible get something a bit bigger... just see what the rating is in 8ohms and half it to give approx the 16 ohm output..

to be honest with the behringer, running in 16 ohm isnt really going to be giving it a task so it could be worth going for that as it provides the power still at a decent price. also.. if you buy from thomann you get 3 yrs of warnatee so no worries on breakage there!
solution View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:11am
thats what I thought about the headroom although with the top/mid it is less of an issue than with the bass....only thing is I don't know if I can bring myself to drive turbosound with behringer!!!!! We have started to hire it out and I'd feel a bit cheap specing behringer.....they may do the job but there is an ammount of perception that surrounds behringer as a make......the other ones I have been looking at are the crown XLS range...although budget you do get a decent warranty...they seem light enough and crown are a decent brand

Edited by solution - 07 August 2007 at 10:12am
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:16am
yeah they are, but u can save urself some cash, might not give u the best face.. but it is turbosound remember so.. turbo is turbo and thats how its seen, if ur only running into 16 its only for the comp yeah?? so it will be with other amps too.. if it does the job id go 4 it and save urself some cash, then later on u can upgrade if u feel u need more face
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:21am
Your right about the reputation of gear like behringer. I'd use their amps myself, but others might turn their nose up at them. If you can afford the QSC or Crown, then i'd probably (in your situation) go for them. They have a better reputation especially if your gear spec is important when hiring out, and will probably last longer.

About the power rating. Its all personal preference imo. You could go for an amp that matches the power rating of your top end, or go for a bigger amp. All depends how confident you are on your abilities to look after your speakers. In the wrong hands, a more powerful amp will destroy your top end. In the right hands, it will provide more headroom for a cleaner signal. You would need to be sure you had it all set right and limiters etc set right.

Im in a similar position, gonna be powering some 2" and a couple of bullets per side. Im looking for an amp probably 300w per side @ 16ohm. Not that i will ever run that much through them, just like to run the amps on simmer rather than full tilt.

j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:22am
get the berry and paint QSC on them... :D
solution View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:39am
Originally posted by j_0_e j_0_e wrote:

get the berry and paint QSC on them... :D

LOL!!!!!!!!
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:41am
Big%20smile
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:55am
if you can afford the qsc what is the point in spending out twice in the long on amplifiers you know you're going to use. You have already stated you would feel guilty about specking berry to potential customers especially as you are supplying them with a very prestigious loudspeaker.

Buy once and you will save money in the long run as the behringer i can only presume is not going to retain its value very well where as a second hand qsc//crown etc will.

my 2ps worth
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 12:18pm
Do you need 2 ohm operation if not the QSC PLX "04" series sound very good and are only 6kg each and not a whole lot more than the RMX

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 10:12am
I have owned both QSCand matrix, and would go with matrix every time. The build quality far exceeds the price, and they are rated in real watts not "Chinese watts".

Thinking about it I also had a Berry EP1500 for a while...... Not long.

Edited by markie - 08 August 2007 at 12:26pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
solution View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 11:10am
i have to say I had'nt expected that answer, the only thing I'm thinking (which you'll see in my other post) is that I will probably go for crown XLS because they should hold thier value and you get a warranty with them which counts for alot....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>