Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QTR QR 15 (passive)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:44am
Well I have a suggestion for re-purposing those boxes (I agree they _are_ likely to sound fairly 'orrible if used in a "regular" PA system).

Use em as a full-range battery-powered system - drive em with 2 bridged channels (each speaker, or just one speaker) of a decent class D car ampfier - so 100-150W or so each - and they'll probably do OK .... by virtue of being relativley portable, and -  in which context expectations are different.

These kind of speakers _can_ be acceptable when driven well below their rated power. Up the power and cone break-up and crossover saturation will kick in a make em sound like a bag of nails.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Most of the bad sound will be that piezo.

What Piezo?

According to everything I have read about them they have a 1" titanium compression driver on the back of the horn...... Just because they are cheap everyone on here just assumes they have a piezo without actually bothering to check any facts.

I’m not saying if these speakers are good or bad, just that we shouldn’t jump to assumptions without doing some basic research and knowing a little of what we are talking about.

Some 1” comp drivers WILL be able to get low enough to meet the 15” and at low(ish) power levels can sound acceptable on axis. JBL have been making 15” + 1” for years.

With a 15+1, Off axis all bets are off!!

In fairness, I said they may have a piezo Smile Never hurts to open them up and have a look.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Never hurts to open them up and have a look.

+1

Don't believe too much of the descriptions of these boxes. They're liable to describe things based on wht they _look_ like, rather than what they actually are :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

In fairness, I said they may have a piezo Smile Never hurts to open them up and have a look.

Correct, you did and I have no problem with that and I also agree that opening them up and having a look would be the best policy before even thinking of any upgrade ….

However others on here have said the problem the sound will most likely be the Piezo without any knowledge of what it actually has.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:23pm
...not others, me! I said it.

I have seen a fair few of these now and they have compression driver write on all the bumpf and on the box. Open it up and there's the rather large piezo. Now I'm not saying this one has one but it is an educated guess and I would say right 9/10. This box may be the 1/10. With any luck it is (hopefully)

So on the grounds it is very likely one I have advice on what to do IF it is.

Don't get your knickers in a twist sweetie... I am allowed to be wrong and I accept when I am. Just don't get so angry and jump on your keyboard. I would gladly accept "nope, opened it up and it's a comp driver... you was wrong mate, what should I do next?" The heat gets to us all sometimes... have a nice cold beer and relax!

It's not the piezo per say that's the bad sound... it's the gap it creates between the 15 and the lower roll off of the piezo that I find the problem with.

A piezo should roll off at around 3.5-4k and the 15 (if it can be helped) shouldnt play that high.

...anyway as suggested why not just try EQ and tame it a little.. I have found a shunt resistor in path of the very likely piezo helps ALOT! And then just raise the high pass of the box to around 50hz and play from there..

Make some £££ in the mean time and start hunting for some new toys.

Edited by mini-mad - 23 June 2017 at 3:26pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:43pm
Looks like this is the 1/10

http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/ys108792/hf-compression-driver-for-qr12-qr15-qs12a-qs15a-902503UK.aspx

Smile

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 4:54pm
Fingers crossed it is... I opened a similar looking one. Was a huge piezo. I hope it is a comp, will make Upgraging a tad easier

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
vrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 8:09am
Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions guys, i guess based on what most of you are saying they just are not worth upgrading :(  i will open them up and take a few pics

Ive run them on a few amps and when they on the PA amps as mentioned the sound is bad, not that any one in the parties they used at noticed (but i did)
when i run them on my techniques home hifi amp which puts out 75w they actual sound half decent, which ring true with what slaz in saying

I have well a truly learned my lesson about buying s*yt*c

i like the idea on messing with them to build a portable system just for project
i have a Bluetooth module i brought from dx

as for getting them replaced ideally i would like to go down the built route

vrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 11:02am
So... i opened one of them

and will get the pics up asap hopefully by the end of today, to me looks like crossover wired wrong
as the wires for input come straight of the woofer which is wired to the speakon

the only think i see wired to the crossover is the tweeter (thats what written on x over )
where it says woofer nothing wired to it

once the pics up you guys can have a look

vrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 6:08pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 7:14pm
OK…. you have a 1” compression driver and your “x-over” is just a HP filter with a resistor to drop the compression driver’s output level to approximately match the woofer.

The woofer is just left to roll off naturally; L1 (when fitted) would normally be in series with the woofer to form a “Frist Order” (6db/oct) Low-Pass filter to remove  the High frequencies going to the woofer.

vrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 1:47pm
Thank you

Any idea why the didnt fit the L1 part of the x over
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>