Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RCF ART200a 12" driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RCF ART200a 12" driver
    Posted: 20 October 2016 at 7:38pm
Have just acquired four of these; two of them have noisy volume pots and one of them has a rattly bass driver.

I've found advice on replacing the pots but welcome suggestions about a replacement 12" driver.

Should I go for a recone or are there other, cheaper, drivers out there which would fit and do the same job and maybe be an improvement - and maybe even lighten the cab ??

cheers  BJ
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2016 at 9:00pm
You might be able to sort out the noisy pots with a bit of switch cleaner. I use Servisol super 10. I fixed a couple to Turbosound Milans and a Crown XTi last week with it. 

krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 11:23am
I don't think you will find anything cheaper that will match the rcf driver so a recone is the best option
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

You might be able to sort out the noisy pots with a bit of switch cleaner. I use Servisol super 10. I fixed a couple to Turbosound Milans and a Crown XTi last week with it. 

Need a little care with Servisol or other cleaning solvents.

In the worst case they can dissolve the carbon track itself (Servisol 10 is designed for brass contacts in light switches, to remove arc crud build up! i.e. carbon residue).

Equally, most pots have some form of semi conductive grease, keeping things smooth and slidy, and excluding air to track (to stop oxidation). Most solvents get rid of that first. Some of the crackle can be caused by dust trapped in the grease, making the wipers jump (think stylus on record) and you hear mini arcs as the wipers lift of the carbon tracks.

Sadly, any solvent approach tends to be a short fix, so replacement is the only real long term fix. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but been there, done that.

Got a load of QSC RMX pots that all need doing, so feel your pain! They are famous for oxidation related crackles, and mine have just started....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 6:39pm
Interesting I always though as super 10 was a cleaner and lubricant as well it was safe to use. It gets advertised for pots and faders as well. Their website mentions nothing about being made for brass light switches. 

http://www.crcind.com/csp/web/ProdDisp.csp?lng=3&idx=1828331&country=GB&product=SOL%20SUPER%2010&brand=SERVISOL

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give them an email and ask about their product dissolving carbon tracks.  
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 1:08am
Thanx for the reply.  I found a three-year-old thread in another forum giving the various options for replacing the pots which are apparently board-mounted and not an easy replacemtn.

The Servisol link that you gave said "A highly efficient switch and contact cleaner. It offers a combination of high purity electrical cleaning and mechanical lubrications for contacts, switches and relays."  but no mention of by them of pots or faders.

cheers  BJ
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 10:01am
It's on amazon as

Brand New Servisol Super 10 Professional DJ Fader and Switch Cleaner Spray

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brand-Servisol-Professional-Switch-Cleaner/dp/B000KHE1D0

Possibly miss leading description.

I have also seen recommended on other forums as safe to use on pots as as it's lubricated.

I'll post up the email response I get back.
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 2:50pm
Smile  Heehee.  That description by "Motionperformance - Waxacar."

I wonder if they'd take performance advice from a Sound Engineer or DJ ?? Big smile

cheers  BJ
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 2:24pm
Here's the response

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Our technical department have advised that Super 10 has been used successfully on amplifier volume pots. However, we do not have any test data on it being using on carbon faders.

Hope this helps, if you need any further information please let us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply