Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reflex enclosure vent as port

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex enclosure vent as port
    Posted: 06 April 2017 at 10:25pm
Looking at my 4x8 + 1.4 top (combined) , the cab is a reflex I assume, there are metel grills with perforations, i am trying to understand the concept as someone on here said that in absence of a port (pipe), effectively the cab has been designed to use the thickness of the panel say 22 mm as the effective port length with the grill I guess providing the correct opening, anyone?

Top banana
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 11:09pm
A speaker cabinet is either sealed or it isn't.. so any purpose made openings will act as a port. Figuring out what the tuning is requires knowing the internal volume of the box and the dimensions of the port.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 12:22am
As far as I'm aware the factor of the port is it's internal volume, i.e PiRsquared x port length. Thus if the diameter of the port is reduced the port length increases.

It is therefore possible to have a large rectangular opening (usually)  at the bottom of the cabinet. Usually it's simply a fact that the baffle is made "too short.  Then the port volume then becomes length x height of the opening x thickness of the ply.

Then again I often get these things wrong so I'm sure an adult will be along soon to correct me.

Edited by markie - 07 April 2017 at 12:26am
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 1:11am
"Thus if the diameter of the port is reduced the port length increases."

Backwards.
djk
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 2:53am
Correction .. If the diameter of the port increases the length must also to achieve the same tuning !!
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 6:17pm
Thanks, and so the question, is there a different calculator for this type of port or is it just the same calcs, reason why I ask is, the port is a perforated grille.

Edited by 70,s hero - 07 April 2017 at 6:18pm
Top banana
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 7:59pm
Having a perforated grille over the port is a matter protection. For the home, it prevents babies from putting things inside such as toys. For sound reinforcement, it prevents rodents living in the cabinets. All loudspeaker software aimed for reflex designs will offer the option of using a rectangular vent or circular port.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 2:23pm
Thanks to all, still none the wiser
Top banana
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 3:16pm
I think a picture would help a lot. Unless you mean the port is the same thickness as the baffle, in which case the length of the port is the same as the thickness of the baffle ;) Whilst the surface area of the port, in that case would be the same as, well, the surface area of the port. Ignore the grill for now.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 3:39pm
yeah just ignore the grill, the hole behind it is the port, thickness of the ply is the length of the port.
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 8:31pm
I will upload a pic, thanks, perhaps the combined cross sectional area of the grill perforations give a predetermined resistive air flow effect?
Top banana
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:32am
I understand what you're asking as I has to do the same thing to try to sim my peavey subs.

As long as the grille over the ports is relatively open, ignore it.

Use the same software as normal. I used winISD. Put the box parameters in as normal. Then, as you originally suspected, put the port length in as the thickness of the panel the port is drilled through. In my case it was 18mm.

Marvel at your graph then go get a beer to celebrate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>