Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reflex Folded horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 1:33am
hi.

is this the eminence front horn bass/mid enclosure.
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 3:20am
Looks a lot like an Altec 816
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 3:34am
does anyone remember a company (Robbo, JBL) from Stratford East London that built cabinets, can't think of the name, they were at the top of Romford Road

they designed a 2 x 15 cab (15's stacked) with a horn on the front, same as the picture above, but had 2 ports on the rear, the port lengths were the thicness of the wood (18mm) and they were placed so you could see the magnets

the volume of the cab was the rear chamber plus all the space behind the horns, laoded with Fane/Mckensie 

these were the best house party bins ever
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 1:54pm
hi.

here is a picture of the eminence 1 x 15" front horn bass/mid enclosure.

now they look identical to the purple looking cab above.

geez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 11:08pm
The Altec 816 is one of the cabs that started my interest in PA's (Froggy's ASS 215 setup was the other). In the early 80's I went camping in Bournmouth with some m8's, Level 42 were doing a gig at a club called Jensens and they had about 30 816's, it was the loudest i'd ever heard. I then heard them flown as upper bass / mid units in Oscars (Newbury park) and decided i definately needed some.

As luck would have it I found some unloaded 816 clones in Garland Bros, Deptford, bought 2 for 80 quid each and loaded them with twincone McKenzies 150w drivers, done loads of house/garden parties, always sounded good from small rooms inside to massive gardens outside.

Copied the design and made 2 more. Made (assembled) my own amps from BI-PRE_PAK 125W modules (anyone remember them ?) 2 bridged per stack. Best party ever with this rig was Pimlico telephone exchange christmas party (I was apprentice BT engineer at the time) 4x816, 4xMcKenzie Bullet tweeters, 4x Celestion 1" compression drivers, 300 people had ringing ears for a week.

Long live the 816, a true classic and a brilliant all-rounder.

Regards
Tom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123