Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reflex or horn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex or horn?
    Posted: 24 March 2015 at 6:11pm

How would i go about simulating a cabinet like this? Can it be done in HornResp? It houses 2 x 15" and is intended to play 60-250hz.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Thomas Hosker - 24 March 2015 at 6:12pm
WWW.T8Audio.Com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 6:22pm
Reflex
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 6:31pm
Marjan i feel guilty keep asking you to help me!! LOL

Can it be simmed in HornResp? Does the tight V angle not give any horn characteristics? No Gains?
WWW.T8Audio.Com
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 6:48pm
It's a port assisted horn, simple as that.

Kinda reminds me of this Tongue

This one (the size of a Cubo 15), will sound good up to 225 Hz.

Best regards

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 24 March 2015 at 6:51pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 7:33pm
I built a pair of very similar cabs a fair few years back.  The influence of the V baffle is subtle but noticeable. You get a bit of gain in the upper bass region and also a bit of a bandpass effect.

The problem with simulation of them is that the 'horn' is quite small compared with the size of the driver so it doesn't really fit the simplifications that programs that Hornresp use.

The way I see it there are a few main advantages.  Firstly the cabinet is much stiffer and there will be less panel and chamber resonances due to the triangulation.  The next one is that it effectively combines the output of both drivers into a single, larger radiating area which probably helps couple the drivers to the air in the outside world.  The third one is not an acoustic one but just that it reduces the front area of the cabinet so you can stack more in the same space!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 7:41pm
Ive got to admit i do like the cubo kick. i heard one a few weeks back with some cubo 18s and it was pretty nice.

Cheers Chris, you much help as always. I seem to be on a V-baffle mission at the moment! LOL

So im safe to sim in hornresp as a basic conical horn with 2 drivers and ports?

WWW.T8Audio.Com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 8:29pm
That V is too wide to act as a bandpass in the intended usage region. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 8:31pm
Also if you simulate it as a horn, where exactly the horn starts?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 9:01pm
on a v plate reflex, there are small gains but with every gain there is a negative, I have found you all ways get a dip in response, some time out of the playable region, some times in the playable region... changing the degree of the v changes were the dip is.... The dip is normally higher in the frequency range...
https://www.elements-audio.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 10:59pm

The throat looks way to small on the 10" horn?

Comments..?
WWW.T8Audio.Com
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2015 at 11:47pm
You need to consider the compression ratio on the midrange horn.  Your design as-is has a ratio of about 3.5:1 (Sd to throat) which is quite high.  Higher compression will give higher efficiency, however you need a driver with a very stiff cone and a phase plug to reduce the throat area sufficiently.  There is also the risk of introducing distortions due to the high air pressures.  Personally I probably wouldn't go higher than 2-2.5:1.  You may also need to consider things like path length differences from different parts of the cone to the throat and using a phase plug to equalise them.

Regarding the 2x15", personally I would just simulate as a reflex to get the port tuning and then determine whether the V has any desired or undesired effects with a prototype cab.  You are unlikely to to get accurate results from a simulation.  I really liked my 2x15" V-baffle cabs.  I got the tuning a bit on the high side (nearly 50Hz) so they couldn't really be called subs but they had a really nice kick to them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2015 at 7:20pm
What area would you recommend i start with Chris? Around 200cm2? I was intending to do a phase ring and bung. I guess horn resp was just to give me a rough idea what to expect and a starting point.

Ill run with what ive got on the 2 x 15" and just tweak the ports in WinISD.

WWW.T8Audio.Com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>