Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rgb cob vs rgbw par can sets.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rgb cob vs rgbw par can sets.
    Posted: 30 June 2016 at 11:13am
Hi guys

I'm getting cold feet on purchasing moving heads and I'm drifting back to more conventional lighting.

For lighting up my duo, and my band

What are your opinions on these single cob led pars compared to the 4 color led pars.

Sorry but no one around here has nice gear to go and look at so I'm sort of at the mercy of thoman,

Stairville vs camelon

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cameo_multi_par_cob_lighting_set.htm

Vs

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_clb8_compact_led_bar_8_rgbw_8w.htm

Both units are about 400 euros for 4 cans a bar and a stand.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 30 June 2016 at 11:15am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 3:38pm
I have a mix of RGB, RGBW, RGBA and RGBWAUV, and my preference is for the RGBA, or RGBWAUV.

My RGBA is the little and cute prolight 7Q5, mostly for uplighting scenery, but powerful enough for PA56 type band duties.

I have two types of RGBWAUV, one waterproof, and one traditional, which are 2W per colour, with 18 sets of 12W "lamps" in one par56style. Around 40 degree. 8 of those recently did a stage, four out-front, and 2 on trees either side of stage, front corners. Had to pull the dimmer channel right down, properly nudging PAr64 performance.

One big thing to consider, is the heads personality, and how that will work with your method of control. If you only have 8 faders per head, a personality with 9+ channels will be awkward. Many heads offer different personalities, from a menu, so you can put them on simple mode from a (foot) controller, and increase channel count for use with a bigger controller, for bigger events.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:15pm
One thing to look out for is the COB units tend to have a wider beam angle, so whilst great as floods and colour washes, you don't tend to get much in the way of a beam out of them. Not to say you can't get a beam from a COB unit, they just tend to be wider. We have both 40° and 20° LED cans in stock, for different uses. The zoom cans we have tried have not been deemed solid enough to invest in yet
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 6:49pm
I´ve got the earlier version of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_clb4_compact_led_bar_4_tripar.htm

100€ cheaper than the one´s you posted and do the job very well. And with Thomann you can always send them back if you don´t like them!   Smile

Edit:  And they have optional footswitch!!!   LOL LOL LOL

Edited by Earplug - 30 June 2016 at 6:50pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:43pm
I've got 8 of the ADJ MegaTriPar Profile's which are 7xRGB.  Colour mixing is good and they're pretty bright.  8 of them fit in a carry bag with some cables.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 10:44pm
Hi guys

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, it's a lot to take in but im going to have a good think before I push " spend".

I have some 4w tri LEDs par cans that have a footswitch, they are good enough for what I need I think, they are made by show lite, only a year old and hardly used, a bar with four on, I was going to try and buy another set but can't find them in stock anywhere, I guess the stairvilles are nearly identical apart from the footswitch connection, however I figured if I had odd banks of lights, and set one to master and one to slave that I might get odd results? But this would save me some cash if it worked together.

Right now I am miles away from programming lights and buying fancy dmx to midi converters etc, so would like to add a bank of four to what I already own if that's possible, but I doubt it is?

Cheers

Kev
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 9:58am
Hi guys

I have just compared the footswitch of the stairville lights with that of the showlite, and they offer different functions, do you think if I put one on slave and one on master they might do the same thing when connected by a dmx lead ?

Cheers

Kev
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 10:08am
The footswitch and DMX are separate controls. Nothing to do with each other.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 2:38pm
Cheers Yes I know that

What I am asking is this, if was to buy a stairville unit which is similar to my showlite, but has a different footswitch with different functions than my existing lights

With the stairville on master and the showlite on slave mode connected with an xlr cable, if I push the buttons like color/ auto blackout, etc, on the showlite foot controller, would both units do the same thing, I am guessing no.

So I have just ordered two of the stairville bars with 8 w quad LEDs rgbw, I couldn't convince the missus or even the baby that I needed the more expensive jobbies.

Many thanks

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 01 July 2016 at 2:42pm
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 10:14am
Depends on the exact implementation of the head's personalities.

If the "master" that receives instruction to do whatever from foot switch, sends true "DMX" to slaves, and all the heads have the same personality (R Ch1, G Ch2, B Ch3, Dimmer Ch4) etc, it may work. However, often Master/Slave operation sends a command to run pre-recorded shows in slaves, with master sending "clock" commands as much as DMX, which is subtley different.

I doubt it would do too much damage stringing them up, but if it don't work....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 12:30pm
The only way is to try it. I doubt that it would actually damage anything, but you may get some interesting lighting effects.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 1:28pm
Thanks so much guys

I have hopefully sold the other lights and will buy a matching pair

Cheers

Kev
 Post Reply Post Reply