Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ribbon drivers needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:36am
Dayton PHT1-6?

105db 1w/1m and 80wrms power handling?
Speaker addict
Ray666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 10:06am
they dont go low enough 2,5khz means i have to use minimum 65 mm distance from sound sources in the lower range speakers.  Im pretty sure there are no 2 inch loudspeakers efficient enough to pair with these. Im pretty sure i have to make my own ribbons for this application to work properly.
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:23am
Peavey versarray cross ribbons to a 12" at 1.8k. You'd probably get good results with 2 stacked vertically per cab with 6" mid drivers or even the smaller faital mids with high output (3x4" or 4x3")

Mounting the daytons in a waveguide extension as per the peaveys and similar to anyline array will likely allow a much lower xover but there are VERY few ribbons that can cross very low and handle any power with decent output.
Speaker addict
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:52am
Not a "True" ribbon, but ribbonesque, Beyma TPL-200 or TPL-150. Optionally with a horn (/H)
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
meister_gue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meister_gue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:05am
Very very nice AMT!

Use it for some years now, and still sounds amazing Big smile
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 11:09am
I'm building some boxes using Beston RT004A ribbons (102dB/W in a horn, 60Wrms) at the moment, planned crossover (DCX2496) to 10" drivers around 1.7kHz. Ignore the ludicrous EU prices (EUR170 for the raw driver!), they're $60 each ordered direct from Beston in Taiwan -- no problems, very friendly, and when I damaged one they dropped a replacement off at my hotel in Taipei during a recent visit, boxed up in a nice little presentation bag with extra documentation to make sure there was no problem with customs.

I'll post some measurement results when the boxes are finished.

Edited by IanD - 28 May 2016 at 11:09am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:17pm
Still worth putting an out of band X-over on its input, just to block any DC offsets from your amp. Simple cap, of suitable voltage and uF ness, so 1st order, say 1 or 2 octaves below what your DCX is actually crossing at. IIRC, will put a 90deg phase shift in, but counteractable from DSP.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Still worth putting an out of band X-over on its input, just to block any DC offsets from your amp. Simple cap, of suitable voltage and uF ness, so 1st order, say 1 or 2 octaves below what your DCX is actually crossing at. IIRC, will put a 90deg phase shift in, but counteractable from DSP.

Was going to do that anyway for exactly that reason, I've got plenty of 2.2uf 250V bulk polyester caps left from the last crossover I built. Using 3 ribbon drivers in series to match power rating of amp, 4 parallel capacitors will give 750Hz cutoff which will give negligible phase shift at crossover.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:58pm
Putting the cap in series with the driver will not shift the phase in the passband.
The shift will be 45 degrees at the crossoverpoint and 90 below it, the passband will remain unaffected.
Best regards,
Teun.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 10:08am
I have often wondered what the absolute phase of an audio signal <10hz is by the time it hits a driver. After traveling through so many HPF DC blocking input stage circuits - assuming they might have an Fc anywhere from 1-5Hz typically. Not that it matters, but I find the thought interesting.
spttrial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spttrial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 4:28pm
Although not a ribbon driver, try the Beyma TPL200 air motion driver,  This will give you the low distortion that you want, but I cant see this or ribbons getting up to enough level to use for rock PA set ups,  I have used these with a decent 15" for Vocals and acoustic instruments, with some excellent results. Covering a 200 capacity hall.  rgds
30 years in the business
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12