Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roots Reggae Systems - Poor low mids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

Originally posted by King Simeon King Simeon wrote:

...Each to their own..? 

Hehe, just kidding. 

All valid points, but really all he is pushing at is a better balance of the overall sound and an awareness of the qualities of the production you are playing. 

At so many points this is thrown out the window for many sounds... ie, when playing a production that has not had time spent on it or much knowledge involved... many prefer a raw energetic style (putting it politely) push that through a sound where they want more 'effect'/noise... and you get a lot of... well... noise..! Hehe. 

Thats the good thing as well as a bad thing about sound system... the variety and different styles. Currently I would say there has been a push for power over clarity of reproduction.

Old thread liftedBig smile

There is a lot of emphasis on the lows in sound systems (under 80hz) althou a lot of the bass action in reggae is actually over 80hz.

I suppose that back in the day the systems had more emphasis on the lowmids which made them heavy althou they didnt have 5000w scoop setup.

The weight of sound in my understanding is actually over 80hz and under 60 hz...

edit.Please correct me if Im wrong. (which I propably am)LOL

back in the day, it was boom 'n ting. 
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:37pm
if artists did not like what sounds did with they're tunes, they wouldn't give the sounds dubs to play (with). We entertain. Its what we do. we don't set the eq move away from the deck and dance with the audience. We add something, and there's nothing wrong with that. as long as the operator doesnt screw my ears, i love to hear what he can do to a mix, pull it up again and drop the next 'on the fly mix'. maybe many youth have very little as a refference point to what they could do if the skill existed...
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

[QUOTE=King Simeon]...Each to their own..? 

Old stuff like Studio 1 and Treasure isle recordings are heavy on the lowmids for sure.
"what!?"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:39pm
Jah Tubby, where are you....... love to hear your side to this story
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:40pm

Old stuff like Studio 1 and Treasure isle recordings are heavy on the lowmids for sure.
but the bass exists, you just need to use your pre to pull it out
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:48pm

if artists did not like what sounds did with they're tunes, they wouldn't give the sounds dubs to play (with). We entertain. Its what we do. we don't set the eq move away from the deck and dance with the audience. We add something, and there's nothing wrong with that. as long as the operator doesnt screw my ears, i love to hear what he can do to a mix, pull it up again and drop the next 'on the fly mix'. maybe many youth have very little as a refference point to what they could do if the skill existed...

Thats true. There is nothing wrong doing your own thing and screwing the eq. It can also make the experience bad. Just like a guitar player who is taking over and playing a solo the whole song.Big smile

I think its cool if the operator joins the dance and just leaves the system to do its thing. At the end of the day its about the music not about the guy who is twisting the knobs.Smile

Instead of eqing every song I like to dub the tunes and add a little spice here and there. Too much of that can also destroy the original vibe of the tune.
"what!?"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:55pm

Thats true. There is nothing wrong doing your own thing and screwing the eq. It can also make the experience bad. Just like a guitar player who is taking over and playing a solo the whole song.Big smile

I think its cool if the operator joins the dance and just leaves the system to do its thing. At the end of the day its about the music not about the guy who is twisting the knobs.Smile

Instead of eqing every song I like to dub the tunes and add a little spice here and there. Too much of that can also destroy the original vibe of the tune.
just as eq, balance and knowing when to leave alone is also a skill.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:55pm

but the bass exists, you just need to use your pre to pull it out

Ive never had to add any bass to Studio 1 nor Treasure isle recordings. They are heavy as they are. I think the trick was to add a lot of lowmids because the speakers could reproduce it easier than the lows?

Adding harmonics to the bassline makes it heavy without having too much information on the lows (valves). I suppose that was the point in studio 1 and treasure isle for example. Not sure if they also used a different kind of bass instrument then. Recording was also propably made using just a few microphones placed correctly in the studio.

"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 1:57pm

[QUOTE=valve head777]
just as eq, balance and knowing when to leave alone is also a skill.

Thumbs Up
"what!?"
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 2:46pm
I don't do Reggae sounds, but a flat response is only great in theory and in the studio. Once you turn up the volume, flat sounds terrible and nasal. Humans hear the midrange best, and they also hear when midrange is struggling. You can take a bass bin and bounce it off of a wall, and also groundloaded to maximize reflections, and people think it sounds awesome. If the midrange is being overdriven a little, or bouncing off of the back wall too much, and the sound is effed. People are more critical of mid. For bass, they just like to feel powerful vibrations that their home speakers can't do. For treble, if you hit 10 kHz and no further, most people won't even notice.

If you make better mids, and have more headroom they will sound better. That does not mean that the frequency balance of the sound person's preference will now sound better if they have way louder mids. It just means that the mids CAN be louder if the rest of the system can keep up.

Edited by b grade - 26 June 2015 at 2:47pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 2:47pm
Depends on what era of Studio1. early was double bass, later electric. also on who engineered the session, Mittoo or Sibbles.
I boost the bass to the max because i enjoy it and thats what the crowd likes- a heavy b-line.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

I don't do Reggae sounds, but a flat response is only great in theory and in the studio. Once you turn up the volume, flat sounds terrible and nasal. Humans hear the midrange best, and they also hear when midrange is struggling. You can take a bass bin and bounce it off of a wall, and also groundloaded to maximize reflections, and people think it sounds awesome. If the midrange is being overdriven a little, or bouncing off of the back wall too much, and the sound is effed. People are more critical of mid. For bass, they just like to feel powerful vibrations that their home speakers can't do. For treble, if you hit 10 kHz and no further, most people won't even notice.

If you make better mids, and have more headroom they will sound better. That does not mean that the frequency balance of the sound person's preference will now sound better if they have way louder mids. It just means that the mids CAN be louder if the rest of the system can keep up.

yep, agree wid dat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>