Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roots Reggae Systems - Poor low mids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 3:21pm
so you never tease the crowd by upping the bass para to just get high bass and the halfway through DROP bass line to sub and drive it hard?? i know the crowd loves it because they cheer and shout!!
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

so you never tease the crowd by upping the bass para to just get high bass and the halfway through DROP bass line to sub and drive it hard?? i know the crowd loves it because they cheer and shout!!

I dont have a preamp so my way of operating the system with a "ghettopre" (crossover to mixer 3way) is different. Of course I do enjoy dropping the bass. I also like to personally dub the music which is more versatile with a ghettopre since you are after all using a mixer. Dubs are made with a mixer after all.

Im from Finland so we dont scream and shout unless we are really drunk. Otherwise we just stare at the floor pondering suicide and make no contact to other people.LOL
"what!?"
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

I dont have a preamp so my way of operating the system with a "ghettopre" (crossover to mixer 3way) is different. Of course I do enjoy dropping the bass. I also like to personally dub the music which is more versatile with a ghettopre since you are after all using a mixer. Dubs are made with a mixer after all.

Im from Finland so we dont scream and shout unless we are really drunk. Otherwise we just stare at the floor pondering suicide and make no contact to other people.LOL
lolTongue
if u get a mixer with para its all open to you!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 3:40pm
you have some good points App
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 6:31pm
Looking back to the start of the thread, I think it's most likely that the low mid referred to is a frequency range that Roots/Dub sounds often do away with. The Low mid is often pushed more as upper bass, leaving a gap that the engineer guy quoted can hear is missing… it goes straight up to the mids and tops.. and can sound a bit harsh. On certain tunes it can make it sound great, on others with more harmonics.. not so good. 

Personally I run my section as low mids, giving a smooth finish to the bass and a little more richness to the mids… thats the idea anyway. 

A lot of good talk on this thread. 

When your playing in a big venue/loud you will have to use the eq for each tune… though you can always trust certain studio productions to sound great anywhere. Certain Studio One are notorious for only certain frequencies of bass and thin tops. The reflection of a room can cause work on the eq/para too. There is definatley a difference between Hi Fi and Sound System, plenty rough and ready, it really is a skill to get it right and to do it through out the night. Plenty practice helps of course.  
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by King Simeon King Simeon wrote:

When your playing in a big venue/loud you will have to use the eq for each tune…

There you have it.. Clap

There is a big difference between Reggae tunes playing through Reggae sound in a dance, thru hifi in a living room, and how many "Speakerplanners" think it should be played without pre-amp.

LOL
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 9:35pm
I'll just leave this here LOL

Bass =/= Enough
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 9:40pm
Yet still, same man created 2x of the Best sounding Scoop drivers, ever made.

So I guess he did like Scoops.

Edited by levyte357- - 26 June 2015 at 9:41pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:25am
Yeah I just posted that for the lulz. Hug

Edited by Darkstar - 27 June 2015 at 4:25am
Bass =/= Enough
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 8:02pm

for me, its all about separation. but only for a reggae system. I don't find reggae on a PA system exciting. Leave the HiFi at home, and give me some VIBES!!

Superb word, Separation. Thats what Reggae systems do. Old system at Tudor Rose Southall back a long time used to do this, DC300a's on (Altecs?) IIRC???   I like it, probably the exact opposite of mushy and horrid mid on a certain high end manufacurer.  No good for live though.
Another good track for test is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0NxhFn0szc
It's everything, not everythink!
wiz247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 9:24am

for me, its all about separation. but only for a reggae system. I don't find reggae on a PA system exciting. Leave the HiFi at home, and give me some VIBES!!

Couldn't agree more!Clap 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 11:02am
so who's going to tell all the new boys on the block that their reggae soundsystem is in fact a big pa?? got their inspiration from house rigs???Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>