Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Router bits!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Router bits!
    Posted: 15 September 2014 at 10:05am
Hello dear friends. We had a sunny weekend here on Italy and i got to work some more cutting some wood for 2 new HD15.I use an upper bearing router bit of 20mm to cut the holes after a mold,and just want to ask is there a method to clean the router bit? What i mean by that is,at first the bit was new and eated pretty well the ply,i am going 5mm deep 4 times to clear the 18 mm ply.After some work the bit is still cutting but starded to smoke,i had to use compresse air to cool it.By touch is does seems it is not cutting anymore,more like ripping off the wood,and turned to brown colour.I have done like 6 handles and 2 patch panels and the bit is not cutting anymore. In my opinion the glue that holds the ply together is burning and attach to the bit.Is there a way arround that or something i am doing wrong?
Thank's for any advice.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by DanielIt - 15 September 2014 at 10:07am
Measure twice...cut once.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 10:08am
Sounds like a blunt bit. What brand cutter is it??
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Hille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 10:10am
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 10:21am
I use a cheap no mark bit from febay.Where do you guys get the bits from?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 11:38am
Sounds like you've blunted it, probably caused by spinning too fast and then not cutting enough wood fast enough making small cuts per rotation. Basically rubbing off the wood instead of cutting it. If you have a variable speed router then perhaps best to reduce the rpm next time?

Router bit RPMs and feed rates are a complicated business, take my advice with a pinch of salt as I'm no pro but I have been reading a lot recently regarding use of various cutting bits in CNC tools
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 12:30pm
The cheapo bits will blunten & burn quickly - better to spend the extra getting decent branded bits.

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 12:33pm
If it's a HSS bit, it can be resharpened, they start sharp but blunt quickly but then can be resharped. TCT aren't as sharp but stay sharp longer but resharpening is a ball ache.

I get all my bits from Wealdon Tools. They are tool geeks.
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 2:01pm
Thank you Sam.I just placed an order.Hope they come quick as i need to cut some more wood.:)
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 2:05pm
Decent tools pay for themselves. No point in buying crap, especially with drill and router bits.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 3:08pm
I use CMT 2050 cleaner for my bits, here http://www.screwfix.com/p/cmt-cmt-2050-blade-and-router-bit-cleaner/93527

It gets everything off if you soak for a few minutes and then scrub with a toothbrush. But do take the bearings off bearing-guided bits first as it will strip the lubricating grease from inside and damage them.

You can resharpen TCT (tungsten carbide tipped) bits quite easily. You just need a cheap set of diamond files - ordinary whetstones or tool steel files will not touch it. The basic technique is NOT to file on the cutting edge but rather grind back the flat surface of the carbide insert, so that the blunted edge is restored to sharpness. There are videos on Youtube demonstrating the technique.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Sounds like you've blunted it, probably caused by spinning too fast and then not cutting enough wood fast enough making small cuts per rotation. Basically rubbing off the wood instead of cutting it. If you have a variable speed router then perhaps best to reduce the rpm next time?

Router bit RPMs and feed rates are a complicated business, take my advice with a pinch of salt as I'm no pro but I have been reading a lot recently regarding use of various cutting bits in CNC tools

If it helps ... in 18mm ply on our CNC we run a single pass, full depth at around 150mm a second @ 18,000 RPM (thats 9m a minute) ... ideally, we would run double that feed rate, 300mm a second, but our servos are not strong enough to push it that fast.

The faster you can push it, the longer the tool lasts ... we can cut *at least* 50 full sheets on a single cutter at that speed/feed without sharpening ... the tooling guy wants us to to run 20m a minute at 18,000 RPM for longest life.

Small passes at slow feed rates are the worst thing for cutter wear.  Make chips, not dust.
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 11:59pm
Trend is an old Brand and a good one to use. If you use a lot of stuff, it's important to find a firm that sharpens them. I carry around 40 cutters and 3 big saw blades, so definitely need a sharpening service. I've used the same firm from day on.
 Post Reply Post Reply