Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

running Altec VotT A7 with scoops?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: running Altec VotT A7 with scoops?
    Posted: 07 July 2015 at 6:09pm
This past weekend I acquired a free pair of homemade Altec Voice of the Theater A7 style speakers. Fairly beat up and made of cheap pressboard. No original Altec components but they sounded pretty good when I tested them out with a Pioneer stereo receiver (cabs are wired with lamp cord and I didn't feel like rewiring them for the initial test).

I'm still building my first system, which currently has two JBL-style 15" scoops for the lows. These A7s are exactly the same height, so at first it seemed like a great way to expand the stack. However, upon getting the A7s into my yard and seeing their condition, it's clear they would need a lot of work to be serviceable (like totally rebuilding the cabinets).

So the big question is, would these A7s even perform well with my scoops in any configuration? I already feel like I bit off more than I can chew with these, so before lugging all the cabs outside and rewiring the A7s (and pissing off the neighbors), I'd like to hear from anyone with experience running both types of cabs, or even theory behind running two different sub enclosure types together. I have other smaller builds to focus on finishing still, so I don't want to waste my efforts on what may end up being a useless distraction.

I'm happy to provide more info if that would help. Thanks!
Be a Prizefighter instead of a Dancecrasher!
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2015 at 12:04pm
If its cheap wood and already thinking needs full rebuild probably not worthwhile doing, especially as just a copy anyway.
Not very practical cabs anyway, as meant for install behind a screen and never moved. Tried moving one with the side doors on few months back, didn't get very far..
Better sticking to more scoops tbh

what drivers in them anyway?
Prizefighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2015 at 5:16pm
Thanks Twiggy, good point; these are pretty massive cabs for just a single driver. These cabs are each loaded with a 15" Speakerlab driver (square magnet), then crossed over to a 6" piezo horn tweeter at what looks like 2kHz that's mounted on the front removable baffle. 

I don't know if I'm up for building more scoops at this point, but am interested in doing something to boost my low mids. I had recently built a Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 12 cabinet with a 12" Eminence Deltalite II, but it really doesn't give me the kick I want. Sounds a bit muddy when playing 45s at moderate volumes. Don't know if there's still some speaker break-in that needs to happen in order to get the lower response or if I need to diagnose possible problems with the cabinet itself, but I think it's build pretty solid and airtight. 

Would those Speakerlab 15s be any good for building some basic yet effective low-mid boxes? Either reflex of horn-loaded (to better phase-match the BFM and CD horn I build a top box for). I'm not necessarily on a tight budget, but more of a "reduce, reuse, recycle" tip, haha. It's just kind of disheartening to wind up with some giant speaker cabinets that sound decent and then have no practical application for them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2015 at 5:41pm
Perhaps a compromise for me here would be to build some Altec 816-style cabinets using these same drivers (minus the tweeter and passive crossover). Same footprint at the A7 but less than half the height. If I'm already getting my lows from the scoops, the added bulk of the A7 is likely unnecessary.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 9:51am
djk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

In theory, this seems like a bad idea, but I trust your valuable experience and advice. What kind of fuel should I use to douse the cabinets with? Matches or a Bic lighter? Should I immolate the tweeters as well to get that nice high-end "crackle"? Can I roast marshmallows on this, or would this system be better suited for a weenie roast?

Sorry for all the newbie questions! 
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 6:53pm
Coat in potassium salts before setting fire to them for some nice purple flames, instant +6db right there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Twiggy Twiggy wrote:

Coat in potassium salts before setting fire to them for some nice purple flames, instant +6db right there

Does Behringer make potassium salts? I don't want to spend a lot of money...
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 8:35am
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply