Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Running switch mode amps (SAE) off a generator?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running switch mode amps (SAE) off a generator?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running switch mode amps (SAE) off a generator?
    Posted: 23 June 2017 at 7:35pm
So I'm doing a wedding sound system tomorrow... I was told it was "mains power" but it turns out to be a generator.
It's a large diesel generator, 20kva and looks brand new and from a hire company and has a digital screen inside the door.
I used my martindale EZ150 on the sockets and it passed fine with 1.7ohm loop test.

Is running 1 X SAE PQM 13 (not running it hard, 8r on all channels, two subs two tops) going to be risky here and would I be better lugging a couple of QSC RMX2450s up instead?

Sorry to post a thread for something which is probably on the forum but im in a rush and this issue cropped up at the last minute.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by charlysays - 23 June 2017 at 7:36pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 7:39pm
the sae will be fine off the 20kva, ive run all the pqm, pcm and pxm off gensets 20kvas up to 100kva's.
defo plug some static lights into genset or a constant rpm fan, this will help keep load stable on genset.
https://www.elements-audio.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 7:40pm
don't forget to make sure genset in earth grounded, pee on the earthing rod and stick it in the ground. (yes I did sat pee)Wink
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 7:43pm
Ah cool :)
They are running about half a mile of LED fairly lights off it going round the edge of the enclosure with the marquee in it... I guess those will do the trick?
If the SAE drinks a bit much is it just going to clip prematurely like it did when I ran it off a long extension lead which had loads of other stuff on it or is the supply going to go wobbly?
Its only a disco, not rave style sine wave bass at 0db lol.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:04pm
sae pqm/pcm on saggy mains will clip prematurely..
led lights will most likely be run off smps too so wont help much in that departement imo.. would prefer 500w halogen floodlight/par cans per phase..

bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:09pm
as above, a nice 500w halogen, or a nice big fan, this just helps keep the genset stable on low power draw.
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 9:30pm
Sorry for the hijack lol.

Bee is there any Sae PCM20 and PQM8 available at the moment?

Cheers

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 9:46pm
might have a couple of both for sale SH in august.. hijack pt2..

RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 10:00pm
Drop me a PM with prices please mate Thumbs Up Clap (Hijack pt3)
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:24pm
Shurley there's a more professional approach to this rather than sticking a luminare with a continuous current draw to stablise the mains? If it works then cool, not sure it's the best approach to the situation.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 10:12am
Cheers guys wil check earthing, though the martindale didn't show an issue with the earth.
I've found a 500w halogen and a 42w fan...
The halogen may be a bit intrusive to the venue. But is a 42w fan enough of a load?!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 11:12am

Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

Shurley there's a more professional approach to this rather than sticking a luminare with a continuous current draw to stablise the mains? If it works then cool, not sure it's the best approach to the situation.

A heater or any other ‘continues’ static load works just as well. I often use a 500 watt heater (without thermostat), when its cold this lives in under the desk and keeps me warm!!

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

.... But is a 42w fan enough of a load?!

No…… 300 to 500watt minimum.

All power generation systems require some kind of static or 'base' load to regulate the supply, on a grid system this is made up by the sheer number of individual consumers (be they domestic or industrial), the more that’s connected to the grid (generators and consumers) the more stable the overall system tends to be (as a hole) as the individual dynamic loads tend to balance each other out). Problems can still arise when there is a sudden change of load, however these tend to be predictable (i.e. half time during a cup final when tens of thousands people switch the kettle on) so can be managed by the grids central controller.  

Individual power stations will still have a ‘load dump’ that automatically connects if the generator/power plant suddenly gets disconnected from the grid, the dump has to be very large as it has to be able to dump the entire output from the station until it can be shut down.

Edited by APW - 24 June 2017 at 11:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>