Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoops in Jamaica?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 10:41pm
Ape..send me that PM too & advise when ur coming. me & K Net supposed to link up for a wicked jam next sat.
BTW..No news on the racks?
goldentouch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldentouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 3:35pm
Ape - What is the difference in customs duty between  a flat pack and a completed box?
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 4:31pm
Taurusty.... I will let you know when I'm there. The racks have disappeared into thin air, luckily I had another smaller set up so that's what's keeping me going.
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 4:35pm
Golden........I'm yet to find out as these are my first completed boxes to be shipped there, the difference with shipping is that the shippers charge for size, so completed boxes cost a lot more than flt packs, however, the wharf charges for the plywood even when cut to bits. I've left the completed ones unpainted and looking somewhat rough so they don't think I bought them ready made.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 5:06pm
Driving through St Catherine yesterday we went past a sound who boxes looked very similar to hog sccops. We were going too fast to take a pic but I'll be looking out for them again.
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 5:19pm
Knet.....where about in St. Catherine, can you recall?
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 5:24pm
Can't remember right this minute but I'll ask the guys and post up later.
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 5:28pm
Knet.........Cool
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 6:36pm
We were between Linstead and Ewarton and I'm told the sound was Hi Tension. Only really got a glimpse at them.
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by ape3435 ape3435 wrote:

It does cost a lot to ship and to clear at the wharves but I build my own stuff and I only trust my uncle to build as the plans states but he is.. let's say a little bit tired:-), besides, I have never seen 18mm birch plywood there, took a sample to a supplier and the guy said it's the first he'd ever seen anything like that. Has to be birch ply for me.

If there is no birch ply wood, what do they use on JA to build boxes?
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

We were between Linstead and Ewarton and I'm told the sound was Hi Tension. Only really got a glimpse at them.

That's my area, only thing is, Hi-tension as I know it uses Cerwin vega. If you had the time to notice then I could ask if the system had HD215s, Hi-tension doesn't
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 7:29pm
If there is no birch ply wood, what do they use on JA to build boxes?
[/QUOTE]

What a lot of soundmen that cannot afford dressed plywood tend to use is a ply that looks a lot like spruce but they tend to be brittle, not good at all. I too use to use these plywood as there was not much else.

I've  used normal dressed ply but they fall apart over time with the weather, very hard to get decent plywood there. Some guys that can afford it tend to do what I am now doing, costly though, besides, if there was/is birch there it would cost a arm and a leg in JA dollars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>