Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoops vs. Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 9:24pm
Yeah Mykey,

That response reminds me of some teeth. It looks all over the place, but if you look at where it will be used (35 to 120Hz) its flat within 2dB. Even better is that its 103dB at 35Hz. Not many scoops are like this and most drop of really quick after 40Hz.

Its really hard to model scoops and I've never found any software that can do it well. If I am designing a reflex, bandpass or even horn I would expect a very high level of accuracy from the simulation to the real product, but with scoops it just doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have to do the compleate opposite from what the program tells you to get the specs you require. The scoop is the only cabinet that is like this and I've really given up doing any simulations as when you measure the real thing its so different from your sims.

I use AJ horn and Akabak for rear loaded horns like scoops and even though Akabak is the most advanced program at modelling anything the complex relationship between the rear horn and drivers front radiation is just too much to predict.

You have to play this one by ear.

Rog. 
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 8:42pm
intresting stuff rog will these plans for the new scoop be available to us, or a retail product?
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:41am
hmm! hmmmm! clear's throat, and cough's.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 10:03am
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 7:44pm
so with the new horns we have had since then , anyone changed their minds
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 3:20am
One night I stacked 6 servodrives mouth to mouth (3 high) and spanked the piss outta them for sound check.(outdoors). Stood right in front of them and was not all impressed. However my boy lives about 2 miles away and said he could figure out what tune I was playing from the bassline. Its funny how on the servodrive website it compares 4 servodrives to like 9 double 18s reflex. It must have been the double 18 reflex subs from the 70's. When I run 8 double 18s its almost unbearable to stand in front of them.
The guy from bassmaxxx was here this summer gone and in front of stage he had stacked from left to right- 2 trips (on their side coupled) 4 double 18s reflex, 2 more trips, 4 double 18's, 2 more trips, 4 double 18's and 2 last trips,4 double 18's, 2 trips. CRAZY- 10 trips+16 doubles reflex. He suggested doing this for coverage near and far.
https://plus.google.com/photos/101882725259958456892/albums/5638134651190357905/5638134652637881218
I want to try this with the servos and double reflex boxes, but haven't had an opportunity as of yet.
So my 2 cents is upclose- reflex or scoops, far- horns. Mind you I am only referring to outdoors.
What u think Francis?
Bless.
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 9:48am
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

So my 2 cents is upclose- reflex or scoops, far- horns. Mind you I am only referring to outdoors.
What u think Francis?
Bless.

+1
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
ritsy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ritsy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 10:42am

What u think Francis?
Bless.

+1

+2
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 12:32pm
What u think Francis?
Bless.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with you closeup in/out doors small places the best is reflex and afew small horns could do it too, sometimes to avoid playing for the people miles away you could use w-bins to I run some that sound very good even at 8-900m and are very clear, too. scoops and horns are best for out and large venues

so +3
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

+4
"Music is life"
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

so with the new horns we have had since then , anyone changed their minds

That is one of the most appropiate and funny smiley images I've seen!
I'm coming underneath that chair too!!'
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 3:21pm
I've never used my servos inside anywhere. What do lab subs sound like inside? Is it dead in some spots? (near/far) Or does it depend on the room etc?
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>