Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ɤɤ Show Off Your Homemade HiFi Speakers ɤɤ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:42am
Has anyone in this thread ever built or heard the good old WW transmission line.
I built a pair in the early '80's and loved them. Then like a pratt I sold them along with my Tannoy DC 15's.

I now have a prototype transmission line in the back of the workshop, complete with boxes of KEF B139' B110 & T27's...... They have been there over ten years..... Bah!! As my head is now semi retired I should MAKE the time to produce a posh pair again.

I would love to hear some old DC15's again. They sound well different.

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 30 May 2011 at 10:43am
Billy Dawg.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:32pm
Jadis Eurythmie II speakers

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 5:34am
Parts express are on facebook and have lots of very interesting builds from customers

have a look at the work in the copper beautiesClap

someone with passionWink

Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 12:52pm
Lots of lovely looking finish over function cabinets in this thread. This was my set up from the 1980s. All the working stuff is behind the soffit.  Drivers were JBL2420 on horn, twin 10" Dalesford bass/mid and the tweeter was by Isophon. It used an active crossover and all the electronics were home built.

The marks and scratches are on the photo not the speaker.

Record deck was a Micro Seiki and tape deck a Nakamich.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

I now have a prototype transmission line in the back of the workshop, complete with boxes of KEF B139' B110 & T27's...... They have been there over ten years..... Bah!! As my head is now semi retired I should MAKE the time to produce a posh pair again.

I built a pair of these back in the year dot. Kits from Wilmslow Audio when they worked out of the old wooden barn structure in Wilmslow town centre.

http://homepage.mac.com/planet10/TLS/downloads/Pro9TL-Mk2.pdf

Only got rid of the drivers a few years ago, loved the sound at the time but comparing it to modern monitors I realise how coloured they were especially the mid's which were really shut-in.

I still long after my old Acoustic Research LST's Broken Heart. Now those I never should have let go.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
cooky1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooky1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 1:45pm
I built the very similar Hifi Answers TL monitor that was based on the Cambridge R50.B139/B110/T27/Coles 4001.
I still have the xovers and a B110.
Great breathy bass and silky treble, but couldn't compete with the 12 inch Monitor Golds I also had.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 4:18pm
Coloured is in the ear of the individual. I would not have the mids that low. I did not use the WW x over either. A great old sound though, with super low end. Not asa clean as the old Tannoy 15's, but great. I just need to make a decent pair of cabs.... one day....

Also got Beyma 6B30's to try with the TL's and T2030 domes. Back to work... my fingers are green!
Billy Dawg.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by cooky1257 cooky1257 wrote:

I built the very similar Hifi Answers TL monitor that was based on the Cambridge R50.B139/B110/T27/Coles 4001.

I ended up with a pair of those. I got them in a swap for a pair of bass reflex cabinets I had built using Richard Allen 12" bass and 8" mid plus a Peerless 1" HF dome. The guy that I did the swap with was the manager of a hi-fi shop.

I ended up cannibalising the cabinets and still have some small bookshelf speakers using the 110 and T27
Read View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Read Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Parts express are on facebook and have lots of very interesting builds from customers

have a look at the work in the copper beautiesClap

someone with passionWink

http://shack.us/photo/my-s/231/hifi.png/ -

Proper Steampunk style !
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

Not asa clean as the old Tannoy 15's, but great. I just need to make a decent pair of cabs.... one day....

Clean is in the ears of the individual  Tongue

Tony

www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 6:09pm
Ha ha haaaa Tony. Mine are full of sawdust just now..Disapprove
Billy Dawg.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 2:52pm
not mine
Linn
bit ugly

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Linn-Audio-home-Floor-Standing-Stereo-Speakers-/150454725814?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2307ccecb6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>