Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show us your Pre-Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 85>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciscokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show us your Pre-Amp
    Posted: 02 May 2007 at 12:05am
Hi,This is my first post so here we go

I bought this pre-amp from a guy called Paul about 7 years ago.He use to run a reggae sound system called Mafia,then Ninja Studio and know its called Fifth Element sound.The Guy how built it is called Charlie and this was one of his first geneation Pre-amps.He bulit pre-amps for Aba shanti and Gemi magic and many other Reggae sounds.He also built the Destructor amps.I dont think he is building anymore just maintaining the gear.Does anyone use his amps or pre-amps????
Here is pictures of my Pre-Amps.

Please post pics of your reggae pre-amps

Cheers.
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:49am
luv it the originals were black but chrlie was making some real wicked stuff even then have to dig up some pics when i was slim with me with me preamps

by the way welcome ciscokid
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:53am
Thats interesting! Theres a lot more going on than i would have thought.

Can you show a picture of, or run through how you connect it?  Do you mix the tunes with that using the deck 1 and 2 volumes? Does the "treble drive" knob actually distort the tops signal!??? and what in the world does the "squidly" knob do?

last question ( i promise!) is whats the "MIDS" section with (1..2..3..4) knobs and "TOPS" with (1..2..3) all about?

Cheers

Alf
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 2:02am

one of a few

Edited by TRE4U2NV - 02 May 2007 at 2:07am
Ciscokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciscokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:55am

Hey,Alf and Tre.

When I bought the Pre-amp years ago it was blue without the writing so I sprayed it gold and stuck on on some letters.I did get some of the controls wrong with the lettering and just did not get round to changing it.

Basically you can plug in 2 Bass,2Mids and 2 tops amps in the back.Mixing would have to be done with the the 2 deck volumes, But I use to plug in a very basic mixer

just for the crossfade in the AUX port.This allowed us to mix tunes but did not alter the pre-amp frequencys.I never used the treble drive much as it did alter the tops signal

and was meant to be used outdoors and was meant to give a more sharp sound and loud sound to the tops,sounded awfull inside but great outdoors.The squidly :) is connected to the tops section as when you turn it on and of it sounded like a sound effect or sign wave kind of sound (hard to explain)it was meant to be used just as a turn and and then off, not to be used permanently on.

Ok,The mid section was meant to be 3 instead of four as shown.So the Mic stage 2 had 3 sections instaed of 2.

Lastly I havent used the pre-amp in ages, its just hooked up to a system @ home.But when I switch it on it always brings a smile to my face as it sounds wicked

especially as I am using a powerful amp and I have an ASS-RX18 with a PD-1850..

Hope this makes sence :)

TRE-Is that one of Charlies pre-amps? Looks similar to one of the last ones he made..

Cheers...........................

TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 11:09pm

' width=28>                                  nah not this one but i do have a early charlie pre bit of a pre freak this is another one

elvins pre crossover
tubby 3 way pre [circa 84]
pepper 4 way
pepper 3 way
errol pre [coxsone errol]
unknown pre
pepper mini pre
pepper parametric pre
broken erad [alonso pre]
try to dig up more pics

Edited by TRE4U2NV - 02 May 2007 at 11:37pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 8:16am
Memories!
CiscoKid, that small external box attached to the rear of th epre-amp, is that the power supply ?

Ciscokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciscokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:35pm

Hey Tekasis,Yes that is the power supply. Thats to show you how old the pre-amp is.

Is anyone out there using any of Charlies stuff, Amps or pre-amps??? Cus I am looking to buy one of his newer  pre-amps.

TRE-Is that your list of Pre-amps?? Impressive :))

jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 5:38pm
Posted these pics previously I think, but thought it'd be worthwhile adding them here for the pre-freaks. Nothing as original as trevs pics...

Mostec 4-way...

Lincoln 4-way

Neither in my possesion now as I left the UK, but the mostec currently in action on the sound..
Determined that one day I'll resurrect this thread with pics of my own build...

Great thread, hope to see it grow..think most of us have seen only Tubbys/Mostec/Barracuda so good to see some others...
Also be nice to see some inside pics, but that might upset the builders some...
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 7:01pm
Ciscokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciscokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 7:49pm
Jethrocker,Nice looking Pre-amps.I have heard of Lincoln pre-amps but I have never seen one.Are they still being made and sold?

Mskeete,What is the price of your 4 way Pre-amps??
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 8:28pm
mark really luv those boards still using your own program for those boards they look a bute

im trying out autotrax at the moment its like being back at night skool but solder tank and that s"*t are totally in the past apart from project stuff 
got to luv it east london strikes again most pre builders past and present reside in the east by the way mark i found some pictures when you were a nipper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 85>