Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signal splitting to link up - Behringer HA400?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signal splitting to link up - Behringer HA400?
    Posted: 07 March 2016 at 10:16pm
Having the need to link multiple rigs, I'm looking for simple options
We've currently used the control/aux/mon outs from a small mixer but that's proving to be confusing for some to "plug and play" especially after "a few" Embarrassed

How does something like the Behringer HA400 perform for line level signal?
I'm a bit hesitant that it could be high gain and low quality, but since some rigs are using car amps (with no pre) and other mishmash then I'd rather too much gain than not enough

Does anyone have experience with this?

Here's a snippet I found from HeadFi forum
Quote The HA400 is a nice little amp.  My understanding is its 4 separate (stereo),  amps in one.  It uses JRC4580 dual OP-amps, one for each TRS jack, so its understandable why you'd prefer its form factor over a single TRS amp.  A stereo op-amp based circuit (cmoy, RA1...etc...) can sound surprisingly good for very little $$.

http://www.coolaudio.com/docs/datasheet/V4580_DATASHEET.pdf 

And some internal pics

I'd be tempted to build a new housing, with RCA, 1/8" stereo and dual 1/4" mono outs per channel, as well as the 1/4" stereo... perhaps even a stereo/mono switch per channel as well

This would ensure that as long as someone brings a cable, any type, they can plug in...

Thoughts/opinions on this?

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2016 at 3:42pm
I think that may have a silly noise floor, this is more the thing :-

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Rackmount-Mixers/MX882/p/P0056/downloads
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 9:23pm
Being 12v native was a big factor, decided to buy the HA400
Only have 2 weeks to prepare for next event so I took the cheap and quick option...
Will post details once I play with it, might do a few measurements with REW or the like out of curiosity
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 2:11am
Looks ideal for whats needed to me. 12V native is a great boon ...

If there's a bit of voltage gain in it .... well you could attenuate the o/p's a bit  ... 6dB mebbe ... to improve the noise floor if thats a problem.

I'd prefer RCA outs myself - but adding those to PCB-mounted sockets would be a bit of a PITA wouldn't it ? Just make/get some 1/4" cables for the job .... no ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2016 at 1:35pm
Radio all the way my friend ;) 
We did it with FM (illegally) in 2014, found that Nokia brick phones make the best receivers. Chances of getting into trouble/actually causing any trouble appear to be low if you're transmitting under 500mW (milliwatt), as we were, but technically anything unlicensed over 50uW (microwatt) in the 88-108MHz band could get you a hefty fine.

Now I'm on an S/PDIF-over-5.8GHz system using "AV sender" modules and mini ADC/DAC units, the transmitters and receivers can be cobbled together for about £40 each - less if you buy them at junk shops - and it sends full-range, noise-free stereo sound up to 50M - no license required. I did try using the existing audio channels on the AV senders, but they sound frickin' terrible! Oh and it all works on 5v, so I use car cigarette lighter phone chargers for power.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
komotive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote komotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 1:09am
Used the Behringer 882 - trusty unit, kept clean inside and had no issues !
 Post Reply Post Reply