Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simple recone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple recone?
    Posted: 23 April 2017 at 12:49pm
Hi all

I have a BMS 18S430 that needs a recone. 

I just received the recone-kit and luckily it's a very complete kit.

It includes glue and sealer (is this for the cone edges?), shims and is pre-assembled with coil and spider glued already fixed to cone. I don't even need to solder anything since the wires are fixed with screws. 

Im considering doing the recone my self but the kit is rather expensive and i have never done a recone before. 

Reading articles and watching youtube videos makes i look like a easy job unlike kits where everything needs to be glued together. 

My question is would this be advisable or should i just pay to have it done?  
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 3:00pm
It's not too difficult, do a couple of dry runs then go for it.

Check the glue is still good. When I last did a BMS recon the supplied glue had spoiled.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:20pm
Hi Sol

Do you have any tips for cleaning the chassis? I find that the old spider and cone edges are really hard to remove. 
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 9:43pm
Dremel !

Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:04pm
I think I used petrol or white spirit to soften them up. Then just rbbed them clean.

Came off pretty easy after a day of socking.

Just dont do that job while smoking,
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:07pm
A good supply of new Stanley knife blades helps. There's no short cuts really.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 9:23am
Use acetone to loosen up the glue first! Just soak for an hour or so and the job becomes a lot easier.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 10:32am
there was a VERY good recone video that came up on my facebook page a while ago, going through all the steps, let me see if I can find it.......

LOL can't see the one I was specifically thinking off (was from a manufacturer but can't remember who) but searching on youtube there seems to be a fair few of them, so I'm sure if you watch some you'll get the idea no problem. 

K

Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Use acetone to loosen up the glue first! Just soak for an hour or so and the job becomes a lot easier.

How do you soak it? It evaporates quickly. 

Edited by Hvedstrup - 24 April 2017 at 7:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply