Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 38HzQ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Rig
    Posted: 22 August 2011 at 10:01pm
Hi everyone!
I'm looking at building a "solar powered" system, however I know very little of the ins and outs of panels and batteries etc. My intention is to run a small rig (1xMTH-30 or similarly efficient bass cab and 1x quad 8" sealed... one of which will be a coaxial). I currently have one of the Lepai TA2020 amps and a 6.8ah battery pack (after reading the comments of user Slaz). It will be solar powered in the sense that the batteries will be charged by a panel mounted on top of my shed (when system is not in use). But I would also like a panel built into the system to trickle charge whilst in use.

I'd be grateful if any of you could point me in the right direction of some reading on choosing the right panels/chargers and even batteries for the job.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

P.S. The system will be fed from an Ipod playing tunes pre-summed to mono. I hope to filter each signal with passive line level (2nd order) crossovers. My simulations suggest I can get around 110 db out of each cab with 10w input.
Random Stoner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 8:56pm

Haven’t got round to doing it myself yet, but have bin thinking about it.

I would say you want to be using deep cycle batteries with as high AH as you can afford.

As far as panels, anything 12V (they may be ratted at around 20voc, that’s  Volts open circuit so when in circuit the voltage drops to just above 12V perfect for charging a battery)

Use as high wattage panel as you can afford so as to charge the battery quicker, and use a charging regulator as this will stop the panels over charging the battery.

You can use multiple panels wired in parallel to increase the wattage but keep the voltage the same.

Have a reed of this, couple of formulas to help work out charge times etc.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080927212836AAv2UsO

And as always remember not to play with electrics unless fully competent.

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 10:56pm

I've had a pure off-grid solar powered system running for about 2 years now never needed to go on-grid except once when the connection to the solar panel had gone loose.

15W amorphous solar panel. Needs to be amorphous panel this high North, and with this high chance of rain.

12.8V 12Ah LiFePO4 complete battery with built in battery management (doesn't need charge controller)

41hz amp6 TA2020 based amp slightly modded

Alien USB DAC, USB powered so doesn't technically draw power from the solar cells/batteries

Fostex 206FE in back-loaded horns

The whole set-up uses about 350mA (4.5W) at absolute maximum output with music but typically uses about 80mA (1W) at normal listening levels. In standby mode the amp uses 5mA (0.06W). So a bigger panel or battery is hardly needed.

If you use a standard SLA deep cycle battery then you must get a charge controller or a 15W panel will fry it pretty fast.

Edited by Saturnus - 29 August 2011 at 11:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply