Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soldering Iron Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soldering Iron Suggestions
    Posted: 03 October 2013 at 12:13am
So decided I could do with getting a half decent soldering Iron, nothing too fancy

1. because of the price
2. because I wouldn't use it a great deal
3. I was thinking about it and no idea about what temperature I would need

Pretty much use it for fixing cables, making cables, patch panels, etc so not planning on doing any tricky stuff really just a good basic one that will last.

Maybe some tips on how to keep them clean and what solder and flux you would recommend would be an idea as well.

Just got sick of having a plethora of half working/shitty soldering irons

Thanks in advance guys :)
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 12:14am
Oh and preferably something off of CPC as I'm putting an order in there anyways
Artical Kulcha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artical Kulcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 12:24am
yes agreed with the crappy irons ok for smaller jobs, i was fortunate i was given a weller 100w , and will never go back its a beast will 2.5,4mm pis@ easy the tips are also a beast compared to the cheaper ones. solders with ease and very quick

i use LA-CO regular flux works great, good flow and smooth.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 1:43am
longeaton systems View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longeaton systems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 2:00am
I use a weller soldering station, Its a similar soldering iron in the bottom link, they solder with ease and heat up quickly.
Different tips change the temperature aswell depending which weller soldering iron it is.

Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 3:40am
Im talking £30 maybe £40 at a push here guys, as i say not for anything extremely difficult just want something to last and heat quickly.

I don't know if temperature controlled is something for me as I have really no idea what I'd be doing with it!
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 7:06am
For £30-40 budget, then an Antex 25 Watt Iron, spare bits and a replacement elephant.
Don't forget also a stand with sponge to clean the bit.

These will do most of your listed connections and run at a suitable temperature for Lead-free Solder.

Also a Gas Soldering Kit will let you easily do larger cable sizes, >1.5mm, and provide a small heat gun option for heatshrink. These kits are also very useful in your toolkit which you take to gigs!
Something like this:
http://uk.farnell.com/iroda/pro-50k/kit-soldering-iron-400-deg-gas/dp/1296822
Temperature of these are set with a gas valve so more gas = hotter.

Temperature controlled Irons are good if you are going to run them all day on a bench but as you mention more occasional use then may not be within your budget...... cheap ones of these are cheap for a reason!

Also a very good idea to get a desoldering pump and/or desoldering braid.

hope this assists
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 7:20am
Replacement elephant?.... whaat exactly have you been doing???
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 7:27am
Re: "Replacement elephant?.... whaat exactly have you been doing???"
Tis the part that heats up and melts the 'lektric glue

They fail every so often so a spare one is useful!

Mik

Edited by audiomik - 03 October 2013 at 7:30am
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 7:57am
I'm happy enough with my http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-Ci500-Soldering-Station/dp/B000QI329M for most things but now I'm now considering this http://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/21-10115-uk/soldering-station-digital-esd-uk/dp/SD01738?in_merch=Featured%20Products if I'm honest mostly cos it has a digital screen lol

Also any recommendations for 3rd hands? The last ones I bought from CPC were too top heavy and useless.
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 9:34am
I've got one of these still in the box which I haven't used as yet.....

I think it is the same as the one Sam V just mentioned.

I bought it to replace my ageing Weller. Going by your requirements I would suggest you get a iron based around a station as opposed to one that plugs directly to the mains. Once you've used a soldering station you will wonder how you did you manage without one.
Facebook: Masai Judah
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 10:01am
For your use the Antex as Mik suggests will be fine Adam. Very simple and reliable.

Or get a used Weller solder station from fleabay. Anything in between is a waste really. On the work benches we have used Weller solder stations continuously for over 30 years. You will only use one occasionally, so the Antex is the one. I keep an Antex as a spare back up.
Billy Dawg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>