Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soundcraft M12 4 pre-fade aux's possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundcraft M12 4 pre-fade aux's possible?
    Posted: 21 January 2011 at 6:48pm
Hi there, can anyone tell me if the Soundcraft M12 can be re-wired (by way of internal jumpers etc.) to make all four aux's pre-fade?

Many thanks.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:20pm
Last time I looked inside one it offered very little in terms of switches etc, all on one board, rather cheaply made, so from only memory no. Have you had a look in the manual? http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=24
dymondaudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:23pm
Read it cover to cover but no mention.  I was kind of hoping someone had done their own mod!

It's a shame because we need 4 monitor mixes far more than I need fx sends.  Looks like we'll be buying some mix wizzards instead!
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 1:47am
Most desks are fairly easy to modify auxes between pre, post, pre-eq etc even if that's not the designer's intention.

It's just a case of finding the signal you want, (I'm presuming pre fade, post EQ, post mute) in which case you'll find this immediately after the buffer amp for the main fader and at the input to the fader itself. Take note of this point, then disconnect the post fade signal into the aux pots you wish to modify by cutting through the track and use a bit of wire (preferably shielded with ground) to get the signal you found earlier from the main channel fader to the aux pot. Repeat for each channel.

I recently modified an old Mackie 1604VLZ (yak!) so that the pre auxes were fed with a post eq, post mute signal rather than the factory default of pre EQ, pre mute and I converted a soundcraft live4 from being 2pre 3 post to 4pre 1post. Also did an old studiomaster so it was 2pre, 1 switched and 1 post. All with success.

It's possible to do the mods with no test equipment at all, it's more complicated with double sided boards as I'm sure the M12 will be but all the pots will still have connections on one side of the board. If you're moderately competent with electronics you won't have a problem, if you can't differentiate between a power supply circuit and an audio circuit please don't try! I don't want you to get hurt or destroy your mixer.

Edited by chickenfizz - 22 January 2011 at 1:48am
dymondaudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by chickenfizz chickenfizz wrote:

Most desks are fairly easy to modify auxes between pre, post, pre-eq etc even if that's not the designer's intention.

It's just a case of finding the signal you want, (I'm presuming pre fade, post EQ, post mute) in which case you'll find this immediately after the buffer amp for the main fader and at the input to the fader itself. Take note of this point, then disconnect the post fade signal into the aux pots you wish to modify by cutting through the track and use a bit of wire (preferably shielded with ground) to get the signal you found earlier from the main channel fader to the aux pot. Repeat for each channel.

I recently modified an old Mackie 1604VLZ (yak!) so that the pre auxes were fed with a post eq, post mute signal rather than the factory default of pre EQ, pre mute and I converted a soundcraft live4 from being 2pre 3 post to 4pre 1post. Also did an old studiomaster so it was 2pre, 1 switched and 1 post. All with success.

It's possible to do the mods with no test equipment at all, it's more complicated with double sided boards as I'm sure the M12 will be but all the pots will still have connections on one side of the board. If you're moderately competent with electronics you won't have a problem, if you can't differentiate between a power supply circuit and an audio circuit please don't try! I don't want you to get hurt or destroy your mixer.
Excellent thank you!  That was what I was hoping to hear.  Although I have a reasonable to good grasp of electronics there is a guy round these parts who is a bit of a wizz!  (He used to be the only A&H service repair person in Cornwall I think).  So I've sent him a message to see if he can help.

Thanks again for the advice & info.
nemisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2016 at 8:25am
Hi!
I found this old topic while searching for the exact same question.
So, have you accomplished this task? 

I have Soundcraft M12 and mostly use it in our small private recording space. I use AUX 1 and 2 to feed headphones monitoring distribution system (Furman HDS6) and it's very handy cause they are PRE-fade. But with AUX 3 and 4 (post fade) it's totally different and not so easy...so I'd like to convert them to pre-fade if it's possible...
remure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 11:29am
good news:

i made my m12 to all post fader auxes instead of 1+2 pre

will send some pictures, an easy thing to do
remure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 6:21pm
im sorry ... this is painfull to get an image to this post ... i use dropbox hosted jpg, preview is ok , but the image in the post is missing...

Edited by remure - 25 June 2017 at 6:31pm
remure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 7:07pm
https://.ibb.co/ezcCXk/O8_A0520_Edit.jpg - https://image.ibb.co/ezcCXk/O8_A0520_Edit.jpg

https://.ibb.co/bVTKCk/O8_A0524_Edit.jpg - https://image.ibb.co/bVTKCk/O8_A0524_Edit.jpg

https://.ibb.co/i8rvk5/O8_A0525_Edit.jpg - https://image.ibb.co/i8rvk5/O8_A0525_Edit.jpg
remure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:45pm
so ... from the mute switch >> PRE FADER LINE

from the pan knob >> POST FADER LINE

if you make a additional swich/mod you could make it variable as you need ...

make shure you connect the same pins to the others ... 

the two groups 2xPRE or 2x POST are connected together via board, so you just have to connect/solder one of the auxes  ..

Have funn :)
 Post Reply Post Reply