Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soundcraft Signature series!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundcraft Signature series!!
    Posted: 29 January 2015 at 2:47pm
Any thought on this new series of desks from Soundcraft? I'm more interested in the 22 MTK variant for my studio. The price for it is just under £900 which for 22 channels with mic pres, Lexicon effects, 4 band eq AND a USB multi interface (all 22 channels can sent and feed back to your DAW indendently from what I can make out) which is a bit of bargain as we would say down the ol East End.
Facebook: Masai Judah
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 3:31pm
Ooops! Forgot the link:

http://www.soundcraft.com/news/Soundcraft-Incorporates-Rich-Analog-Legacy-and-Hallmark-Sound-Quality-into-New-Signature-Series-Range-of-Analog-Mixing-Consoles

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 3:40pm
Looks interesting, but is it anal-ogue? As in analogue throughout the device, or does it AD/DA and pretend to be analogue?
music is the message
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 4:23pm
It's an all analogue affair so no moving faders or automation. Not really a big miss if you're using it with a DAW (that is the market that the MTKs are aimed at) as they will have all the automation you would need I think. Not sure how the other Sigs would fair for live use......

The big plus for me is the USB interface. I think they should have made the interface Firewire or Thunderbolt but I can understand making it USB to capture a bigger market. Wonder if it's USB 2 0r 3? I think they should have just made a the MTK variants have its own identity and made at least the channel faders controllers for DAWs with templates for the usual suspects at least.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 4:32pm
Price is always going to be critical, but for the money, A&H Qu is hard to beat. 16 Ch live wav recording direct to HDD, and then ability to play back and remix at leisure. USB for DAW use too.

Depends on how you like it's sound I suppose, it is digital, but I am warming to that.

I presume it will be priced against A&H Zed range? Looks to compete, but with a little more features.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the reminder about the QU range Matt. It looks good - and so does the Zed range. The only thing thing is that has 60mm faders but there does not seem to be much else 'wrong' with it.

Funny as when I was at Soundcraft and was working on the M series of mixers I said to the chief designer at the time why not fit a multi channel interface to connect with DAWs as they would sell even more of them and be a game changer as well as no-one had come out with such a unit at project/bedroom studio level.. They already had them fitted with SPDIF. Needless to say that my suggestion went way over his head. Next thing you know they had massive redundancies as they had to get them manufactured in China to compete in the market place with Mackie etc. Then Mackie Onyx range came out (a few years later I think) and the rest is history.....

Now that I've seen n the Zed units I think Soundcraft would have to price the Signature at least £100 cheaper. Although having 2 variants to tackle the live and studio markets may possible give them the edge. Don't forget the Behringer X32 unit as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply