Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreedyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker Suggestions
    Posted: 02 August 2014 at 3:59am
Hi All

Newbie here.  I've got some new turntables on the way (Reloop 7000s) and a bogstandard Numark mixer but I've got no idea what speakers to buy.

I know that cheap ones like Skytec etc are crappy but I don't have a very big budget - 500 quid max for a pair.  Do I get active or passive, will I need an amp too and so on? 

I'll be playing in pubs and small clubs to anywhere from 20 to 200 people.

Cheers

Gordy
GreedyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreedyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 4:00am
Just to add, I'll be playing reggae and soul so need nice low end of course and decent mids for the vocals.  
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 4:39pm
First and most important question... WHAT BUDGET????
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 4:42pm
500 quid - says so very clearly
SoundsUnlimited View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsUnlimited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 5:01pm
These will offer you the best value for money in my opinion, and there's the option to add a sub or 2 later on.  

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_zlx_12p.htm
GreedyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreedyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 5:10pm
Thanks, they look ideal and have good reviews.  
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 12:07am
Lol, i have no idea what happened there. Must of only read the first 2 lines...

Yeah, avoid Skytec, Pro Sound etc...

Quick guides, Passive you'll need an amp Active you wont. Pro's & Cons. Passive keeps your amp away from crowds, Actives you'll have to run power too as well as sound, can limit set up options, placing controls potential at the reach of idiots. Cheap Actives tend to have very poor amps in them, like the QTX, these are mega cheap, with tiny capacitors, you need big ones for continual bass. If the amp dies in the Active you can always make them Passive. 

When it comes to sound price really is a factor, you get what you pay for. You might want to consider second hand at that budget.

Edited by mitchiemasha - 04 August 2014 at 12:08am
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 12:32am
your not gonna get much low end without seperate subwoofers u need more budget get sum used monitors and subs and a power amp and active crossover Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 12:50am
Originally posted by GreedyG GreedyG wrote:

Hi All
Newbie here.  I've got some new turntables on the way (Reloop 7000s) and a bogstandard Numark mixer but I've got no idea what speakers to buy.
I know that cheap ones like Skytec etc are crappy but I don't have a very big budget - 500 quid max for a pair.  Do I get active or passive, will I need an amp too and so on? 
I'll be playing in pubs and small clubs to anywhere from 20 to 200 people.
Cheers
Gordy

here is your start point.... why not start off with 1 top and 1 sub, use 1 amp and a simple active crossover. for pubs if you stick that small set up in the corner you can gain a little bit extra bass by corner loading and wen you save up more cash buy a second top and then second sub AND THEN a second amp (in that order!) you can then slowly build up a big(ger) system slowly but still play out on a budget.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
GreedyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreedyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 1:55am
Thanks for the advice, will look into that, cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply