Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speakon NL4FX - a step backwards?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speakon NL4FX - a step backwards?
    Posted: 01 June 2008 at 4:58pm
Possibly the most spod like question ever asked but does anyone else find that the NLF4X is harder to use, that the terminals don't grip cables as well and is just generally a big step backwards from the NL4FC? 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 5:08pm
Yes. It's a nightmare to squeeze 4mm squared cable in them and get it to stay in there.

I've been tempted to buy a load of these:
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_1380446656/NLT4FX-BAG_detail.aspx

But the price is a little off putting.

Edited by toastyghost - 01 June 2008 at 5:09pm
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 5:14pm
Yea £6 each is a bit OTT LOL

Agreed on 4mm, only way i've got it to stay in reliably is to take the screw and grip out, stick a tinned cable end in and solder the full thing up, but even then because its recessed so much you have to be careful not to melt or distort the connector. If you needed to solder the 4FC at least all the copper housing was in plain view and you could get an iron on the whole side of it to heat it quickly and be done
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 5:29pm
the easiest way i found was to unscrew the screw till its almost out, they use a small screw driver to push the tab inside the cable bucket so that its flat against the side, then put cable in and tighten. make sure theres enought bare end in there.
I dont like the connector release tab either, not as nice as the older style. sometimes ive found that the boot comes undone as you try to take connector out.
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 5:50pm
I unscrew the screw, throw away the tab and put the screw back in.  Never had any problems with 4mm cables.
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 6:55pm
Thing you have to remember with NL4FX is that they need a much longer bit of cable in the terminal than the NL4FC.  If you follow the stripping instructions provided, I've never had any problems with the cable being gripped.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 9:24pm
You do need a fair bit of cable in them yes, I found this a while back. Close to a cm of stripped wire is good.
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 11:12pm
Also surely if your going to solder it (the 4mm or larger sizes) you take the screw and tab out, split the cable end into two and solder one into the regular socket and the other into the screw hole. Wont ever come out again but then thats not the plan is it :P

Alf
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 12:18am
yeah

i've never really had a problem with them, generally just strip an extra bit of the wire and make sure its stuffed right in there, and like someone said if your really struggling to fit the wire in, bend the little metal tab up a bit with a screwdriver first and seems to work, for me at least.

k
4DPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 1:54am

bs8901 compliant
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 9:56am
recent tests we did showed that :
crimped connections sound better than soldered,
metal spekons sound better without the metal case (some kind of field effect?)and not as good as the plastic ones.
crimped connections on the spekon chassis also improve sound.
some surprising results! i thought soldered cons would sound better due to the larger contact area - mai non! obviously tin & lead aren't as good as copper as a conductor.
this is in the realms of the ultra fussy, but was enough difference for theatre sound designers to re-do all their existing spekons, where they always used to solder everything. practicalities like tougher spekons could be considered more important. i've never really had a problem with plasic spekons though, exept in a few installs where they've been used as steps to get up on the bass bins.

Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 10:33am
I've tried removing the little metal tab and screwing the cable in, and whilst it fits in better that way I found the cable is less secure and they've come loose after a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>