Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPKR cable for 4x1200 amp @4r ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPKR cable for 4x1200 amp @4r ?
    Posted: 27 January 2017 at 10:44pm
Question : Is 2x2.5 twinax speaker cable ok with this amp, or would 2x4.0 be better, at least on the bass bins ? ( 4 box system 2x8 top/mids and 2x12 bass bins )
Protect your hearing, and feel the music.

MU South East Roving Safety Rep.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 10:52pm
I would probably go with 4mm on the bass cabs myself
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 8:47am
Thanks.

I have tried 4mm twinax on short 5-6 metre lengths on both tops and bins, and compared the sound with 2.5 twinax which is my standard cable. To my ears the 4mm definitely sounds better overall, but there is not a lot in it. I ,now, need some longer cables ( 10-12 m ) so ,maybe, the 4mm would be better on bass at these lengths ?
Any recommendations as to make of cable ?

Edited by Safetyman - 28 January 2017 at 8:48am

B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 9:40am
if you're going 10-12 metre lengths then 2.5 is fine, 4mm won't make a monkey's worth of difference.

TECHNICALLY it would be better on bass. but worth the extra money? no.

if you're asking whether it would be OK on the amp, technically it would be easier, but at those lengths it won't make an audible difference. You're in richer sounds territory here.

Edited by B_Bender - 28 January 2017 at 9:41am
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 9:51am
Buy some gold connectors too that will help.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Buy some gold connectors too that will help.

And 99.99 pure OFC mains lead!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 10:32am
stop being mean you lot!!

if you can't find a bare ends cable just buy a speakon to Jack and cut the Jack off and throw it away!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

stop being mean you lot!!

if you can't find a bare ends cable just buy a speakon to Jack and cut the Jack off and throw it away!

wrong thread
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 5:05pm
Thanks Guys.

I have heard of people on here using 6mm cable, but that must be for higher power and longer lengths ....
As has been said, easier on the amp channels with the 4mm, but overkill for shortish lengths at this sort of power.......

Must say, I have just been 'playing with' an 800 watt guitar amp ( 2x400 /4r ) on recorded music with a small 4 box EV pa rig, with 4mm on bass and really cheap 1.5 mm on top/mids ( through the bass bin crossovers ), and it sounded great on low gain( I was in  the house at the time ). The dog next door complained loudly, though the sound was below registering on the signal meters! Lol

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Safetyman Safetyman wrote:

easier on the amp channels with the 4mm
Actually that is a common misconception, the smaller cable will actually be easier on the amp as it will have a little higher resistance which means less current passed and therefore less thermal stress on the amp. Yes that also means less power dissipated at the speaker but in this case it's probably not enough to really matter.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 6:53pm
There are some online calculators you can use to work out losses, etc. for various cables runs. You also need to think about damping factor, especially for longer runs.

Here's a quick guide:

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 8:14pm
2.5 to each driver helps impedance apparently
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>