Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strictly analogue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strictly analogue.
    Posted: 16 July 2013 at 4:44pm
“I don’t care about hardware. I just want an analog console, 100 percent analog,

I’m interested in having fully charged capacitors at all times,” 

Edited by 4D - 16 July 2013 at 5:07pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 5:13pm
I agree about not throwing gates and compressors at everything just because you can. It definitely degrades the sound, but then also depends on the group - a badly tuned or crappy drumkit is a huge PITA and sometimes gates are the only answer.  Unhappy

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 5:30pm
Very interesting read and Yeah I agree with most of it. If it works for them and isn't broke....Then why change it.
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 8:00pm
very rarely do i use gates/compression even on a large line array/concert rig, i tend to prefer to ride faders, you have more control and generally with enough rig for the gig, a gate isnt necessary.  plus i feel if a drunkit sounds crap..i can do a bit to fix it but i cant fix all the bands issues lol.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 8:52pm
My mate showed me a picture his mate took at Glasto from inside the FOH tower right behind the Stone's engineer, and he was indeed flying a big fat analogue desk - too crappy a photo to tell which one - which struck me as probably not the obvious choice for a modern festival's main FOH, so it must have been there just for him. Top bloke, I say.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 9:09pm
Didn't the stones sound crap at Glastonbury though? One of those occasions where those bits and bobs might have come in handy?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 9:54pm
I have to say, extoling the virtues of analog and then using one of the worst sounding brand analog consoles ever made amuses me.
An XL4, H3k, S/craft Series 4/5 maybe but a PM4000?

But the truth is in an ideal world you can use a lot less kit, definition of ideal, a 'Stones sized budget and lots of pre-prod time.

No doubt you can get a better sound with a analog setup, but a decent outboard rack and loom cost about the same as 2 m7cls, not that I consider that desk in the league where the above boards would appear.

Back doing the gig I do, a ViX, ProX, SdX or an iLive suite me fine, I have to share desk with support acts so the "save" button rocks and when I am mixing a support having all the channels, where I want them and all the outboard I need is great....

If went out on decent budget tour next week, I would have a Vi/Pro6 in a heart beat over 2 x 350Kg desks, 400Kg of racks and a 350Kg multicore and being able to sell more tickets as I don't have to carry a support band FOH board. the weight saving on the system (and no Support Mons board) give production more cash for Strongbow on the bus and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice in the green room!!!!

Edited by shagnasty - 16 July 2013 at 9:58pm
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 11:02pm
Did make me smile when the best sounding band at Glastonbury (mumford) was mixed on a 20+ yr old XL4 with very little outboard, when FOH  all weekend was full of digital desks worth as much as a semi detached house.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Did make me smile when the best sounding band at Glastonbury (mumford) was mixed on a 20+ yr old XL4 with very little outboard, when FOH  all weekend was full of digital desks worth as much as a semi detached house.

If you get a working one (XL4 is an example where a lot didn't to start with) Midas boards of any age take some beating, bear in mind an XL4 in it day cost probably more than a XL8, and then you had to find someone with a Bantam Crimper to make your inserts up!!!!!!!

A top and digital board is now nearly as good as a top end analog one, but like Digital Cameras, Digital Desks have a lot of pluses, but brute force quality will never be one of them.....
Smile
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:20pm
I posted a comment about poor quality sound on BBC2's transmission of the Stones from Glastonbury. My comments were guitars lacking bite, muffled bass and complete lack of drums. Being certain that the live sound would never have been like this, just how did the BBC manage to remix?
Only occurred to me a couple of days later..............COMPRESSION. Just removes all of the dynamics!!!!Makes it sound louder on a mobile phone though....
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

I posted a comment about poor quality sound on BBC2's transmission of the Stones from Glastonbury. My comments were guitars lacking bite, muffled bass and complete lack of drums. Being certain that the live sound would never have been like this, just how did the BBC manage to remix?
Only occurred to me a couple of days later..............COMPRESSION. Just removes all of the dynamics!!!!Makes it sound louder on a mobile phone though....

I didn't see that particular broadcast so this may not apply, but what volume were you listening at?
I've often thought that about broadcast mixes (especially BBC), at moderate volume, but if you turn it up to a more robust level, the mix comes together into a much more impressive experience.
I'd imagine from that that the beeb engy's are aware of the loudness effect, and mix at levels that are at least vaguely representative of the genre in question (not that your average TV can do R&R volume, but you get what I'm meaning I'm sure). Obviously some compression is still likely to be used, but it might not be the whole story.
Cheers,
David.
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

I didn't see that particular broadcast so this may not apply, but what volume were you listening at?
I've often thought that about broadcast mixes (especially BBC), at moderate volume, but if you turn it up to a more robust level, the mix comes together into a much more impressive experience.
I'd imagine from that that the beeb engy's are aware of the loudness effect, and mix at levels that are at least vaguely representative of the genre in question (not that your average TV can do R&R volume, but you get what I'm meaning I'm sure). Obviously some compression is still likely to be used, but it might not be the whole story.
Cheers,
David.
Should we say that sound output from Freesat signal was fed into Rotel RC 970 control to Crown D150A amplifier to Ruark Talisman 2 Speakers, running at a moderate level, rather than use limited range T.V. speakers.
The sound quality was woefully inadequate, as previously described. The following act, however, comprising of drumming and shouting, had the benefit of a much better engineered sound. All frequencies present and attacking, drums and cymbals clearly audible, kick drum could be felt through the setee, without any adjustment whatever. Proof that the actual transmission was not at fault
Not to my taste, so I changed channels, disappointed that the Stones performance had been so unnecessarily distorted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>