Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strictly analogue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Didn't the stones sound crap at Glastonbury though?

Somethings can't be fixed by a desk... :/
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 12:29pm
I think its all very genre specific too.

Just did a weekend of "technical metal", try getting drum blasts, clicky kicks, high intensity drum rolls, screaming vocals, tight bass lines out in clarity without the use of gates and comps.

Stones on the other hand... its rock n roll. Its all very dynamic, elements floating about here and there. Boomey low kicks and a big blend of sound, nothing is too precise, it would be like trying to clean up Jimi Hendrix, would sound awful.

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 2:49pm
The drummer in Big Country once threatened to hit me if I didn't take the gates off his toms. "I'm sorry, are they not tuned correctly? Are you a drum expert? Would you like to retune them? No? TURN THEM FECKING GATES OFF THEN!" - This was for his on-stage monitor mix. He'd probably shoot anyone who tried it at FOH.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 2:49pm
Went to a gig yesterday, pretty big radio 1 friendly band. Musically pretty tight, sound was very disappointing and actually got worse as the band went on.

Decent EAW array rig. Went over to FOH, digidesign venue digital desk. Nearly every channel was compressed, could hear the compression pressing on everything - drums 'woofing' with an annoying slap sound on top, no snap or tight mid to snare, bass guitar non defined and wallowy, vocals sounded unnatural. Strangely no effects used.

The band weren't my usual thing but it was an afternoon out which I hoped to enjoy. Reminded me of this thread and couldn't help but think that they would have been better off with an analogue desk and a few pieces of select outboard.
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 12:08am
Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

Went to a gig yesterday, pretty big radio 1 friendly band. Musically pretty tight, sound was very disappointing and actually got worse as the band went on.

Decent EAW array rig. Went over to FOH, digidesign venue digital desk. Nearly every channel was compressed, could hear the compression pressing on everything - drums 'woofing' with an annoying slap sound on top, no snap or tight mid to snare, bass guitar non defined and wallowy, vocals sounded unnatural. Strangely no effects used.

The band weren't my usual thing but it was an afternoon out which I hoped to enjoy. Reminded me of this thread and couldn't help but think that they would have been better off with an analogue desk and a few pieces of select outboard.
Was this in Gloucester by any chance?
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 11:04am
Yeah it was, not knocking the guys that ran it as the stage was excellent and well run just sounded very 'digital'. Really think they should have gone with an midas or something, maybe even an ilive system as my experience of the digidesign live desks have been hit or miss.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 6:14pm
Ah fair enough, I had nothing to do with the sound or lighting and didn't manage to catch the event but I did build and take down the stage. Wasn't sure how it would sound as we didn't know they were hanging a line array from the wings, and we hadn't given them a lot of height. Clearly this wasn't the issue though.
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 6:53pm

I only caught the last 2 acts as i was with a few touring bands. Me and a few audio buddies commented on how nice the stage itself looked. Arrays did seem a bit low but didn't get much of a look behind the scrims to comment.

Which company were you with for staging?

I honestly think it was just down to desk use. Again not knocking the guys as you never know the circumstances unless you were working it... plus I think I've been spoiled after working on opus jody's rig haha
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 7:30pm
Thanks! The stage is Igoe Pa's from Bristol, was a last minute job for us. Haha yeah I bet, I do love Opus!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12