Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 43>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

...,anyone else hear of them?

Yep. I've got a JPS amp. Can't remember the model number and it's buried at the back of my lock up waiting for me to get off my a**e and repair it! So JBL Man, thanks, as it's now given me the incentive to get. As soon as I do I'll stick some pics up.
Great sounding amp by the way.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

...,anyone else hear of them?

Yep. I've got a JPS amp. Can't remember the model number and it's buried at the back of my lock up waiting for me to get off my a**e and repair it! So JBL Man, thanks, as it's now given me the incentive to get it out. As soon as I do I'll stick some pics up.
Great sounding amp by the way.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 12:32pm
JPS Associates based at Park Royal in London---Three partners if I am correct, John Paul and Steve---We used to deal with Paul in the late seventies and the amps were all hand built---We were one of the few retailers in the UK selling them and we sold a fair few as we used them at the time on our touring rigs so they were out there in peoples faces---Very nice sounding amps but the main problem with them was the flimsy casing and the bigger 4U amps used to flex quite a lot and cause problems---They eventually went bust as they just could not compete with RSD/Studiomaster Mosfet 1000s and the massive surge of the new Crown Macrotechs at the time. 
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 2:38pm
Arr! That makes sense John,the stack in this photo belonged to an outfit called "JB's monster roadshow",which we used to hire in to Epping Forest country club when Froggys' rig wasnt available,i vaugely remember chatting to them about these amps,it was their mate Steve who built them,so ties in with what you said.
I think the bass ones were 2x400w,bipolar design...they used them to power two stacks of Tony's ASS concert system with Gauss drivers...it seemed extraordinary loud at the time.
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 3:54pm
Yeah---Those amps in the pic are the very early ones Ian and the silver knobs used to fall off---Later amps were fitted with larger black plastic knobs fitted via collets so the never came off---They were also one of the first UK built amps with soft start relays fitted and there was quite a delay between turn on and switch on---always used to make me smile for some reason---Cheers--John.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 12:06am
Well I'm glad someone else can remember 'JB's Monster Roadshow'! I thought it was just me.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 7:14pm
More Squires.

Be seeing you.
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 11:32pm

More Squires.

wow check out the ev £520 and i bet thats a good few years old,if a 1200 is only £219,
im trying to guess the year from the clues,
1, there was a show room on deansgate manchester
2, 061 and not 0161 (what year did that happen 1995 ish was it? )
3, the deck
4, the ev

so my gess is 1986, if you know jbl man, please let me know, it's doing my head in lol 

https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 12:03pm
Dam good guess Audio habit,just one year out,that was from a 1985 magazine.
Be seeing you.
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 6:32pm

Dam good guess Audio habit,just one year out,that was from a 1985 magazine.

woohooo that will do for me ( licks finger and sticks it in the air,and says tisssss while doing a stupid dance )m lololol
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
drum1707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drum1707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 4:20pm
Got loads of Pics of Consoles. Think I'll start with the Fal Range.

FAL System 50

drum1707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drum1707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 4:27pm
Fal Super Disco

Fal Mono Deluxe

Fal Stereo Deluxe

Fal Ranger

Fal Ranger Stereo Deluxe

Fal Stereo Graphic

Fal Phoenix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 43>