Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub Box Port Location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximusneo701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub Box Port Location
    Posted: 30 November 2011 at 9:29am
It's a long read so I put the questions in bold

Hey everyone, browsed here a few times but always found all the questions I had answered by other posts. But alas I have found one that I cannot seem to find a good answer for yet.  So I have a few options and I need a bit of feedback from someone who may have come across this before. I have had a sealed box in the past but looking at some of the gains from porting I would like to try that. Working with a 12" alpine type R for anyone who comes up with an all new idea.

Its a 2005 mustang, the trunk in this car has the wheel well coming up into the trunk immediately behind the behind the backseat and a cross bar at the top that drops down for most of the of this wheel well. So I cannot push a sub box back as far or would have to get creative with some cuts and extend the box in the back between these 2 obstacles to acquire some more volume. Thats not a huge problem and I even considered fiberglassing it maximize that area and then attaching it to MDF in the from and creating a hybrid style box, porting it through the middle between the 2 subs. While this would work great to get some of the volume it suggests I have 1-2 ft^3 I can lose some significant trunk depth. 

So the idea would be move the subs behind the tail lights facing inwards, many of these enclosures are $350 so I would be doing one myself but none of them are ported. The enclosure could never be large enough to port directly into it with a pipe or wrapping the enclosure inside would be impossible. What about a port located outside of the box? Would it be possible to put a port that starts on the edge of the box and runs alongside the inside of the trunk towards the backseat? I see no reason why this cannot be done, and also if this should work should I wrap the port back around and have the port located close to the sub itself or have it end farther away? 22 inches is the called for length and I am afraid that's too far and would have an issue of wavelengths not aligning.

I read that external ports are not an issue, also would turns in the port hurt sound if I wrap the port back towards the sub?
 Post Reply Post Reply