Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subs as kick bins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subs as kick bins...
    Posted: 14 May 2015 at 7:40pm
Is it possible to use a low tuned reflex cab as kick bins? (90hz-150hz)
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:36pm
As it's reflex, yes.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:59pm
Thank you for the response.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:02pm
A reflex has the ability to play 'fairly high' so works well as a kick bin, bandpass subs and horns are designed to play a bandwidth so will sound shit outside of said band.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 1:25am
Could blocking one port assist by raising the Fb?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 6:11am
If it was a double tuned or 6th order box and you blocked one side of the vents, it would become a fourth order band pass. The tuning would definitely change, but it might depend if you block the rear vents (lower tuned usually) or the front vents (higher usually). You would also lose a couple db in sensitivity, most likely. They are supposed to have good transient response though.
PinHole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinHole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Could blocking one port assist by raising the Fb?

No! Blocking one port will reduce port area while port length and box volume remains same so actually it will LOWER tuning freq. Geek        :)

Signature is important. So I always write something in this dedicated field.
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 11:24am
Here's my wlx like bandpass ported horn sub, contructed for work in pairs. It's good up to 180Hz-200.

Edited by PavelP - 16 May 2015 at 11:24am
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by ychole audio ychole audio wrote:

Is it possible to use a low tuned reflex cab as kick bins? (90hz-150hz)

As many said, it will work pretty good, though maybe just not as efficient as dedicated kick bins and the bulky volume of subs can't stay home. There is one other thing to keep in mind. If you use sub oriented speakers only higher up, they don't get as much cooling, because they don't move as much as with the subby freqs included. Not much of a problem with moderate power, but if you want to feed them serious power, better let them drop down to something like 50 Hz with a second order lowcut to make 'em move and get some cooling effect back from the cone pumping air back and forth over the coil through the vents. They are designed to work like that and as a plus, they can add some low-end to the subs.

Edited by Peter Jan - 17 May 2015 at 9:33am
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:02pm
Thank you for all the responses, they are very much helpful. I'm trying to design a simple reflex box using Winisd for my old 2240H drivers. I will try to tune them fairly high about 50hz. I will be using them above 18tbx100 loaded WSX copies. These reflexes will be crossed 90hz-150hz and above them will be Bill Fitzmaurice's omnitop 12s. Right now im crossing the wsx's to 125hz to the omnitops and I seems like I need more lowmids. 
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:00am
Do you want these to be duel purpose boxes as tuning them higher will get you a much smaller box.....

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:06pm

It would be best to just build some small boxes for those speakers and forget about getting anything below 60 Hz. The JBL 2240 is not the best driver for bass for a reflex.

Be aware on what WinISD tells you about the -3 dB mark. You may find you the frequency response no matter what you do will not achieve 0 dB below 150 Hz.

The TS Parameters do not lie. The Speakers will perform well above 100 Hz while struggle below 100 Hz.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 19 May 2015 at 12:08pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>