Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subs/kicks for Smt212's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subs/kicks for Smt212's
    Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:13am
Hello, I have 4 Smt-212's that need some support in low end department.

My initial plan was to have a pair of Cubo kicks and 4-6 cubo subs a side but everytime I mention the word Cubo I get a healthy dose of side eye. Cry

I am now considering some Tham 15/18's or maybe some hog scoops. 
The intended use is for live music/dj use for indoor and outdoor use. Genres from Psychedelic  rock from the 60's and 70's to to reggae, house, trance, soul rnb the works really. Any help would be widely appreciated. Thanks Gents!

unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:37am
Also Considering the Th-18 from xoc-1
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:01am
How low can you take the SMT's Uncle?

unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 5:03am
They are good till 90 but don't get that good horn-loading going till 140-160.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:03am
Couple of band pass horns per side?
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 9:15am
Quote everytime I mention the word Cubo I get a healthy dose of side eye
I'm side-eyeing that sentence.

I'm gonna cry in a corner now! Cry
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:01am
Big pile of gsubs? 3 a side would be good height wise, but obviously need a few decent amp channels to power them. Nice and easy!

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Quote everytime I mention the word Cubo I get a healthy dose of side eye
I'm side-eyeing that sentence.

I'm gonna cry in a corner now! Cry
You do that.

At the end of the day, like any bandpass cabinet, the Cubo and assorted cabinets are resonant devices with very high Q. Frequency response never tells a complete picture. Taking a look at the group delay and impulse response of a cabinet such as a Cubo will tell you why most people who have heard them give you
Quote "that healthy dose of side eye".
If you will only be playing EDM and assorted styles you will probably get away with it, simply because no one can tell the difference not knowing what the record should really sound like.
Run any low mids from vocals through it and you will be like; what the flying f***....Ouch

If there is any advice i can give you, after building several of these (i.m.o.) shitty resonant devices, is just don't do it. The added efficiency with relatively small cabinet volume just is not worth it. Either go fully horn loaded, or just stick to BR. Tapped Horns in my book are the best compromise between both worlds, cubos are not.
I have mentioned this time and time again on here, but the day i decided to build BPH over pure FLH for the kick section of my system was a pretty black day in my history book. Now that i dont use the system as much as before i really cannot be bothered to build FLHs instead.

Edited by Teunos - 05 June 2017 at 10:23am
Best regards,
Teun.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 11:06am
Bit harsh...

Each to their own i would say. Vocals running through proper sub 18's sounds shit anyway you cut it. Id say the cubo with its low highpass avoids this (and sounds quite good with kickdrum and bass guitar in my opinion) if cut to a nice double 12 or whatever.

I agree with you about short bph's in the low mid area for live music.

Anyway theres no need to bash a mans design purely cos you got your knickers in a twist about bph's. The cubo has a place and lots of people use them happily, me included.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 1:24pm
3x 218s or three of Djks ppsl215 should be an easy build, suitable budget drivers are available in US, reflex might be the most universal Subs to match your application/musical diversity?

3x 18" THs should suit aswell but are complicated to build and more expensive to load?
unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

3x 218s or three of Djks ppsl215 should be an easy build, suitable budget drivers are available in US, reflex might be the most universal Subs to match your application/musical diversity?

3x 18" THs should suit aswell but are complicated to build and more expensive to load?

Well considering I've allotted roughly $300 per driver  for the build the Th18's would be the least expensive and be easier on the amps considering my driver of choice for my 3 options that I mentioned would be the 18 Sound 18LW2400. 

Also Teunos, I wouldn't be running the Cubos subs past 80 hz Considering that I mentioned the cubo kicks to go on top of said cubo subs so there wouldnt be any vocals going through the subs in that pass band anyway in addition to the fact that I almost always run auxed subs for cleaner mixes. 

With that being said I am currently leaning towards the TH18's due to truck packing and bang per box/buck and what I've read on them.

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:15pm
not sure the 18lw2400 cone will cope well with the TH compression ratios tbh., its a great reflex driver though.. you might want to doublecheck if its really suitable?

Obviously that depends on amps aswell, an amp capable of powering 3 a side might be quite expensive, might be better to get smaller amps with enough stable output at 4ohm and get 4ohm drivers instead? (or build double 8 ohm cabs) - would be much more flexible aswell re application/split rig etc.?

2way bass section is much harder to get right and requires proper measuring/setup, hence i would not really recommend it, specially not with your mainly non dance music styles mentioned.. the 212s, depending on driver, should meet a 218/215/TH easily at around 100hz..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>