Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subwoofer problem
    Posted: 22 November 2014 at 3:59pm
Hi.

I came across some old Peavey DTH 218b speakers, 2 on each side 4 in total.

There have been many replaced drivers in the system so the drivers are at different age.. 

The left side of the system looses alot of bass when i play with both sub speakers, if i disconnect the one i get alot more bass. my concern is that the speakers work against eachother because of the difference in the drivers due to age.. 

Both subs get power from the same amplifier Crown CE2000 but from different channels.. The input signal is paralell to both channels.

Solutions?

Two of the speakers are standing side by side standig up on each side of the stage. The ports of the speakers are standing close to eachother so maby if i lay the speakers down to the side i will get more distance from the ports and then the speakers won't react to eachother.

I hope someone can help me with this one :D 

Best regards Mathias Salomonsen

Edited by Mathias S - 22 November 2014 at 4:00pm
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 4:13pm
That sounds like one box or one driver in a box is out of phase (wired the wrong way round). Check through the system to see if its all wired the right way around. It could also be one of the cables going to the cab so check this as well. Connecting a battery to the wires that go to the back of the amp should make all the drivers pop out in one direction.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Mathias S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 4:21pm
Thank you! :) i will test that! but in the the DTH 218b one driver is mounted the opposit way than the other.. how should they be wired ? opposite or same?
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 4:24pm
+1 sounds like out of phase had this problem before running one scoop had thunder linked a second killed the thunder half an hour before dance was gonna start sorted it just in time LOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 6:55pm
In this case the reversed driver must be wired in reverse polarity, go through all the boxes with a 9v battery to ensure all drivers move out in unison when positive batttery voltage is applied to the positive input, and also check that all speaker cables are wired straight through... no wires crossed.
Mathias S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 9:06pm
But if some speakers are old and some new can that be an issue when the ports are so close to eachother?

taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 9:17pm
Nope.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 11:09pm
There may be some very very small difference in compliance of suspensions between old and new, and and old driver may have some partial thermal damage of its voice coil, from the event that killed the other drivers, but from what your describing, it is a phase problem, i.e. one cone/cabinet is moving forwards on a +ve signal, and the other is moving backwards, relative to the audience.

Those peaveys are further complicated by having one driver magnet out, and one cone facing out.

For a +ve signal applied, you want both drivers to move towards the audience. Make sure the same happens on all your boxes, and job done, all in phase, and maximum chance of making some useful noise.

So from speakon 1+, for the driver that is cone facing audience, make sure it is connected 1+ to +ve on driver. For the other driver (magnet out), make sure speakon 1+ is connected to -ve on driver. This ensures that on +ve signal applied to 1+, both drivers move towards audience, at the same time. Repeat for all cabinets. Obviously speakon 1- goes to the other speaker terminals.....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Greg32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greg32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 4:53am
Also check that something in the signal chain doesn't have the phase reversed,  I have an analogue xover that has phase invert switches on the rear that are easy to bump. that only applies if the drivers are all individually powered. Greg
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 8:35pm
Don't take it as read that applying +ve to the +ve terminal will push the cone out.

I have mentioned it before but to remind people...I had an Ohm MR228 (2 x 8in side by side drivers) that had been reconed and couldn't reproduce any low frequencies; one of the drivers pulled the cone in with +ve on the + terminal. The reconer had wound one coil the opposite way.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 9:25pm
Bet that was fun to troubleshoot!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 10:15pm
No..first thing I checked.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>