Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Scooper + Fane Colossus 18XB depth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Scooper + Fane Colossus 18XB depth
    Posted: 25 April 2016 at 4:25pm
Hello everyone,

I'll build 18" super scoopers within the next few months. I'm planning on loading them with the Fane Colossus 18XB.

Now the question I have is, will they fit in? If yes, isn't it a bit too close?

The data sheet of the Fane says it has a depth of 205mm, the chamber of the scoop has a depth of 202mm, which won't fit, unless I'm missing something?

Also, the plan mentions a 50mm layer of polyester fibre within the chamber (just top and backside I think). I guess the speaker should not touch the fibre, but if it can, could it just be "squeezed in"?

Any help is appreciated

r.G

Edited by r.G - 26 April 2016 at 4:31pm
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 12:54pm
Has no one had any experiences with that combo?
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 12:56pm
searching the forum will reveal that is one of the top 3 drivers used in that cab,v1000 and 186 are the others 
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 1:12pm
I know, that's why I decided to pick it, also the fane isn't that expensive and it seems to be a reliable combination.

But my question is about the chamber/driver depth with the additional 50mm polyester fibre in it. Many people seem to be using super with that driver, but looking at the data sheet and plan, it would not fit in. Where's my mistake here?

Thanks

r.G

Edited by r.G - 27 April 2016 at 1:13pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 6:09pm
Quickly looked at plans and i think youve not counted in the thickness of the baffle, the driver rear mounts into the cab, soiincluding baffle i get 218cm to back wall.
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:10pm
ive looked and the depth of 18"superscoop and it looks like 220mm
the fane 18xb is 205mm total depth but yu need to deduct the flange on the xb of 11.8mm as it fitted on outside so that makes a depth of 193.2 i think leaving a 27mm gap behind magnet

Edited by streekz - 27 April 2016 at 7:11pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:19pm
also the 205mm on the Fane is to the front on the mounting flange, you will be using the rear of the flange, this will take about 12 mm off the drivers depth that's inside the cabinet.

Edit: Just noticed Streekz beat me to it!!

Edited by APW - 27 April 2016 at 7:22pm
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 3:19pm
Alright, I see. Thank you guys for the clarification.

And what about the polyester fibre mentioned in the plan? What does it do and could I just leave it away without any drawback?

Edited by r.G - 28 April 2016 at 3:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply