Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t.amp d3400 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t.amp d3400 review
    Posted: 05 August 2007 at 9:24pm
Hey, needed to put together a budget rack so i thought i'd try one of these badboys out and give it a run for its money. heres a quick review

First impressions:

PROs
Solid case, nice useful blue vu meter lights
very light
1u
nice solid dials and switch etc.
Internally there are two ETD59 transformers which means that there my be a power supply for each amp?
Big heatsinks inside, good fans and fat transistors well mounted
PFC. Whether its active or passive i'm not sure.
nice pro layout and quality pcbs.

Cons
No signal limiter
No signal throughs, filters, bridge function or binding post output
didn't see many capacitors inside - especially compared to the powersoft amps. But they may be hidden beheath the heatsinks
no earth lift
some dodgy looking mounting of the through hole components and soldering.
Fan started making a funny noise straight away.
too deep for our amp rack! only just fit in.

So how did it perform?

test 1 - 2 labs on one channel, 1 usb on the other

pros
Ran the whole night without getting warm!
Solid bass, plenty of power, tight. the usb was very loud and hit hard. Labs pushing out lots of air.
didn't trip or blow the 13a fuse

cons
When the lab channel was turned up, it would run nice until you were starting to light to highest blue led called -10db. At this level, a big kick would then TRIP THE PROTECT CIRCUITRY! this would happen before i ever saw the clip led light. the channel would then turn off for about 20 seconds before starting up again. did this about 4 times then i just kept it at a low volume. The usb side never tripped.

test 2

Next day we ran it up with 2 usb's on one channel (2ohm). Again, it would run up and make LOTs of noise. Loud tight bass, sounded good. BUT only until you were starting to light the -10 blue led. As soon as a big kick came along, it would trip the protect circuit and turn off for 20 seconds.

Same when we hung 4 v1200 in loony bins off one channel. Again, these sounded great until you turned it right up. I never saw the clip light come on, it would trip before this.

With 1 usb a side it would go all the way up to clip and never trip out. very loud.

with 3 loony bins on one channel (2.6 ohms) it was very loud, nice bass, and would go all the way up to clip and not trip.

test 3

ran up some tops at high and low volume. Very little unwanted noise when turned down, when turned up it sounded good, didn't notice any difference between it and a class a/b amp.

VERDICT

I'l be calling thomann and telling them that they shouldn't advertise this amp as 2 ohm stable because it obviously isn't! All these test were done loading just one channel so it could get worse when both are loads but i think they are seperate. So yea, it WILL NOT DO 3300w into 2ohms a side for any length of time without tripping.

Apart from this it seems fairly decent. only time on the road and more use will tell you about its reliability. Really need to get a multimeter out and measure the volts its giving out to a 4 ohm load to see if it is infact getting up to 1700w as quoted. Seemed like it was powering them up nicely though. somewhat more than the plx3402's.

so it looks like the amp has an overcurrent protect circuit on each channel output. When a big kick comes along with a 2ohm load which may have been enough to send the amp into clip, it will trip the protect circuit.

so its more like a 4k amp maximum i guess if you run it with 3 8ohm bins off each side. But for the money, it definitely beats a 30kg 3u beast.

I haven't decided yet if i'm going to return it or not......

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 11:25pm
Nice news davey just how deep is it exactly do you use wood or ABS racks?

Even so for the price I dont think anyone can beat its performance

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 9:22am
thanks for the review, seems like a good amp for the price.

is it possible to run a parralle input signal across both channels
n^2 modulo -P = number wang
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 9:58am
any pictures of the inside
bass syndicate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass syndicate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 10:18am
How hard is it to actually hit the -10db LED? Were you pushing it hard at that point?
VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 1:24pm
does it have low freq filters?
n^2 modulo -P = number wang
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 3:32pm
Thomann D3400 is OEM from Kobble :
http://www.kobble-digital.com/products/show.asp?id=11
Nothing really good to say about it, false specs, crap components and lousy manufacturing quality control (I don't understand how Thomann an offer 3 years warranty on these things  when one Kobble customer told me they have 30% failure rate Wacko ).

The real output power under 2 ohms is no more than 1000W RMS sinus at 50Hz (fuse bypassed). The claimed power is burst mode (33ms) at 1kHz with 1% distortion and even like that I never reached more than 1800W...

and for those who know a little bit about electricity, do the math to find how much real continuous power this thing can output with 13A fuse...
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 3:51pm
Many touring compaines I know in China brought me the Kobble digital amps to test out as they were intrested in getting some. This was about 2 years ago and I've had a different company send me one nearly every month since.

The first ones I could distroy in under 1 min. This happened with all the amps sent to me up untill about 1 year ago. Kobble got to hear about me being able to blow all the output transistors of the board in under 1 min and decided to make it Rog prove. The only way they could do it was if just before the amp distroyed itself it switch off for about 20 secs. Its a crap thing to keep having an amp switch off all the time and makes it unuseable for me. But then if it didn't swtich itself off it would go bang. They just can't get round the problem of the output transistors not being able to take the power.

I measured more power into 4 ohms than 2 ohms which is a worrying sign. Other than the fact it has to turn itself off to stop it blowing its great.
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Many touring compaines I know in China brought me the Kobble digital amps to test out as they were intrested in getting some. This was about 2 years ago and I've had a different company send me one nearly every month since.

very funny, me too received 5 or 6 different revisions of this amp and everytime I returned a burned sample  LOL
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 6:40pm
Yea, it sounds like the same amp Rog. The 20 second trip thing makes it totally unusable at 2 ohms. I've sent an email to thomann and i'l be calling them up too as it is total false advertising.

I did have my doubts, but i thought they were worth a go. I did think about upgrading some of the components to turbcharge them, but i think my time would better  be spent design my own amp- which is comming along nicely at the moment.

gonna use the d3400 this weekend and give it some more tests with a multimeter and 4 ohm loads. If it doesn't hit more than 75v then i'm sending it back.

i don't think it deserves quite the slating you've given it arthur. For all intents and purposes is does do the job in a small, efficient lightweight package for very little money. Just seems silly to me to go to all the trouble of designing the amp, pcbs and circuits, getting it to work well, then just ruining it by not putting in good enough components!
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 6:47pm
To answer peoples questions:

No there are no signal links of through. No parallel switch. Its very deep, 455mm i think
I guess its called the d3400 because its a 3400w amp!

ROG: what kind of power were you measuring onto 4 ohms?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 12:15am
Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

for those who know a little bit about electricity, do the math to find how much real continuous power this thing can output with 13A fuse...

First thing that I thought of....

If it`s switching off at -10db then it`s not getting enough juice! Try sticking a 32 ceeform on the end and giving it a lot of power!
It`ll probably fry like the other 30% of it`s mates but at least you`ll prove a point...don`t stick 13amp plugs on equipment that needs more!

.p.

Edited by Phil Boutle - 07 August 2007 at 12:16am
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>