Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tannoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tannoy
    Posted: 29 April 2016 at 6:24pm
Just spotted the following press release:

MUSIC (formerly Music Group) is proposing to dismiss around 70 members of staff as redundant at its manufacturing plant in Coatbridge, Scotland.

The pro audio company is about to enter into a process of ‘collective consultation’ with all affected employees. In the event that the redundancies are confirmed following the consultation, the Coatbridge facility would cease operations completely. This would see Tannoy loudspeaker production transferred to MUSIC’s new three million square-foot manufacturing plant in Zhongshan, China, with its research and development and marketing activities being relocated to its Innovation centre in Manchester, UK.

The following announcement was made to employees today by SVP, lifestyle and Home, Peter Sommer: “Following an extensive evaluation of our operational and financial structure, we have taken the difficult decision to propose that the staff in our Tannoy manufacturing and office facility in Coatbridge are dismissed as redundant, which, if confirmed would see the facility closed. Whilst this is a challenging time, I would like to thank our Tannoy employees for their immense dedication and loyalty over the years, which I feel confident, will not be diminished even as we approach the forthcoming period of collective consultation.”
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 6:54pm
Dont generally go in for the Behringer hating but thats really not on.  Hope it dosent happen.   

Edit,  can we get rid of the stupid swear filter?  

Edited by Timebomb - 29 April 2016 at 6:56pm
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:20pm
People want the lowest price, that means UK/EU production is no longer feasible...
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 11:24pm
As far as that might be true about people wanting cheaper product, manufacturing in China is at the moment on pair with Easter Europe and some manufacturers are pulling out of China.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2016 at 1:31am
If true this is really sad. Tannoy are an iconic brand in virtually all areas of audio. If they are being changed in to a 'Made In China but still has the brand name' type set up then this really is terrible.
Cheers, Chris.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2016 at 1:33am
Of all the brands...
Not many companies can attest to becoming the verb for their field. Hoover did it. Tannoy did it.
Raytheon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raytheon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2016 at 3:14am

Sad for the people that get laid off, but as far as I know Tannoy have been making most of their products in China even before Music Group bought them a year ago. Pretty much inline with everyone else - just look at B&W, Wharfedale, Bang Olufsen etc.

What I heard is that only the high end speakers were assembled in Scotland whilst most of the components such as the wood cabinets are already made in Poland. So how much is actually 'British'?
Music Group have a very large R&D facility in Manchester and since they bought the British brand Midas a few years they hired 100 engineers. Maybe they will do the same for Tannoy and hire lots of British engineers? Guess time will tell.

Edited by Raytheon - 30 April 2016 at 8:42am
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Raytheon Raytheon wrote:

Sad for the people that get laid off, but as far as I know Tannoy have been making most of their products in China even before Music Group bought them a year ago. Pretty much inline with everyone else - just look at B&W, Wharfedale, Bang Olufsen etc.

What I heard is that only the high end speakers were assembled in Scotland whilst most of the components such as the wood cabinets are already made in Poland. So how much is actually 'British'?
Music Group have a very large R&D facility in Manchester and since they bought the British brand Midas a few years they hired 100 engineers. Maybe they will do the same for Tannoy and hire lots of British engineers? Guess time will tell.

WELL SAID Shocked
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:03am

they built the first double decks back in the 1930's

Edited by woody2 - 01 May 2016 at 10:06am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:55am
Sad to see this happen. Tannoy (Golds) are one of my favourite home/studio speakers. On the bright side, at least they´re not been closed down completely. Difficult times for all in the industry.  Unhappy

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Raytheon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raytheon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 12:02pm
I spoke to a friend at Music group who said they have big plans for Tannoy and are now investing over $ 30 million in Tannoy, mainly in R&D, product management and high tech manufacturing with a large R&D center in Manchester.  He said they very much value the brand and its history but they want to refresh the brand and go in the direction of Bowers & Wilkins, B&O etc, with high end flagship products but also quality consumer products such as headphones and the like.
I think Tannoy needs to reinvent itself as some of the products look quite dated.  Wouldn't it be great to have a pair of dual concentric headsets  Smile

Edited by Raytheon - 01 May 2016 at 12:42pm
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:53pm
I'll believe all that when I see it.

Quote ... consumer products such as headphones and the like.

Sticking the name on consumer products is a sure way to devalue the brand. It only works in the short term, until customers wise up to it.

In effect, this is converting a company's "goodwill value" into short-term profit, and you can only do it once. However, if short term profit is all that matters...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>