Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tasco/Harwell pics and any dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tasco/Harwell pics and any dimensions
    Posted: 28 August 2008 at 10:29am
Could you guys help me out? I've always wanted some but can't find any for sale, If any one could tell me anything about them it would be a great help I'm particularly interested in the mids, any pics of the interior and overall dimensions would be a great help. I think they should make for a good build project due to their size and and simplicity.

I have searched the forum and found a few pics also a brief detail of thier dimensions but not enough to really work with.

Any help would be appreciated.
ok.....Where's the on switch again?
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 10:54am
They are massive, and quite complex.

Can you fibreglass?

Simple project? There are two drivers mounted facing each other push push, and it is quite complex, more so than most mids with compression drivers...and don't forget the custom compression driver horn.
Away on extended leave.
Ghostwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 11:18am
I meant nothing derogatory, rather that their size should make their complexity less of a hindrance. the cabinets themselves look pretty straight forward, I'm learning fiberglassing and though the bullet and horn are beautifully shaped from a fiberglassing pov they look to have very little detail compared to other fibrglass structures such as car parts. aircraft etc. I wouldn't be up to the task of customising drivers, I'll just have to go with the best alternatives I can find.

Thanks for the pointers.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 11:25am
I wouldn't even attempt to build them yourself. There is a lot of custom fabricated metalwork in those mids and tops and the phaseplug arrangement is very complex.

The second driver in the mid is mounted in the back of the phase plug facing backwards towards the first driver, and there a flying saucer shaped metal disc between the two drivers with a moulded recess on each side matching the dustcap of the drivers.

There is also a metal mounting frame for each driver so that it is perfectly alligned.

The tops are even more difficult and the cost of the drivers today would be astranomical. 2 JBL 2441 2inch comps and 4 JBL bullet tweeters. At new prices you would have to remortgage your house (I'm serious), even second hand you'd be lucky to get the compinents for two tops for less than a grand. The two 2inch comps fire into the phase-plugged top horn using a complex manifold system which is totally unique; I haven't ever see anything similar. The horn itself is phase-plugged which is very unusual for a top horn and the whole thing is cast from aluminium.

I would say this is possibly the worst speaker you could try to DIY build. You would find it FAR easier and probably cheaper to copy a more modern design.

The martin audio philishave would be MUCH easier if you are a competent fibreglasser and considering how much smaller it is than the tasco missile mids the performance is remarkably similar. Of course it doesn't look as brutal.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 11:28am
the mids use 2 ev 12l drivers if I remember right

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 12:00pm
Thanks Biotec.
ok performance wise I can understand that I'm not going to be able to touch the originals but I could still use the design characteristics of the horn, torpedo and box to my advantage.

If any one has any mesurements and especially any pics of the interior and framework it would be a great help.

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 12:15pm
I think I am the only person on this board who has taken one apart and I didn't take any photos when I did it.

KSS audio have a few of these so if you are super keen it is worth giving them a ring and seeing if they will let you have a look inside one. They are based in north london and have a good website that you can contact them through.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 3:11pm
No derogatory comments meant Smile, it's just that it is coincidentally one of the worst choices to emulate. I have seen inside the bass bins, but sadly not the tops.

Martin Philli or Ladyshave are much less complex.
What you can take away from this are the concepts used in the boxes.
The dimensions are pretty irrelevant.
If I was in your position, I'd take advantage of newly acquired fibreglassing skills to design and build a simple phase plugged horn, rather than attempt to clone an existing one.

With a bunch of measurements, cloning one will be harder than expected, unless you can take moulds from existing horns, you will have to figure out the expansion, among other things. You cannot just make any old curve as you know.

And according to a member named Jazomir on another thread, the mighty Tasco may rear it's head yet!
Away on extended leave.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 3:18pm
If you want to take a mould from some orginals give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

If you pay for a weeks hire and clean the wax off properly I'm sure I can pursuade KSS to rent one to you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 5:18pm
Cheers you guys.

Nice one Biotec thats really cool of you, unfortunately I'm way to far away from London for it to be practical, it would have been ideal really. I've seen the inside of one of the mids,  I remember the disc you mentioned and that it had metal mountings but thats about it, it was a while back.
bigsexymata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigsexymata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 6:37am
hello my name is david mata from Show Sound inc.  we have 36 cabinets of harwell working and flyable in the los angeles area. for any questions please feel free to contact me.  and tell a friend

mr. david mata

showsound@hotmail.com
bigsexymata@aol.com
818-800-1004
818-266-4527
323-465-1105 Smile
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 9:16am
there are actually pics of the internals of the miss on here somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>