Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

testing a cheap chip amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: testing a cheap chip amp
    Posted: 02 January 2015 at 6:17pm
so i had a few bits sitting around for a while, and i was bored.
thought i would test a few components.
this is the amp. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Board-2x50W-AMP-Board-with-Radiator-TDA7492-D-Class-High-Power-Digital-Amplifier-/141267392894?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20e431597e

this the step up converter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DC-3-35V-To-3-5-35V-100W-LED-Voltmeter-Step-up-Adjustable-Power-Boost-Module-/141149814807?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20dd2f4017

ceiling speaker was given to me.  dual voice coil jobby that has on board crossover
 a couple of videos showing it working. the speaker is sitting in a plastic plant pot at mo LOL
http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152744757273145&set=vb.630683144&type=2&theater

http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152744152603145&set=vb.630683144&type=2&theater 

just need to either make a suitable box or find a little travel bag/case for it to fit in.
so if you know where i might find 1 let me know. as i would like it to look neat for my daughter. 

for the 6quid investment, it makes a fair old noise, an sounds good too.

also going to test it with some small 3" Cambridge pc speakers i have 4 of. an might try making a mini boominator 

Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2015 at 8:20pm
Very nice, like the power booster with voltage display. whats the battery pack you have there?
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2015 at 4:41am
the battery is from a bosch 10.8 drill.. it basicly has 3 18650 li po. and is only 1.3amp hour.

interestingly 1t shows 12.5 when fully charged. but done a test to see how long it would last
connected up to 2 * 6ohm bookshelf speakers on friends boat on sunday.
after 5 hours it was still giving out the same output even when the battery voltage dropped to 8.8v .
an was very impressed.
next test is to bridge it. an fit inside some 8&1" pa cabs i have.
on paper it says 100w when bridged.

i fully aware of what the specs say on amp and step up module. but so far goes beyound the stats given.
no heat issues either on both.

the voltage readout an voltage converter is cheaper than most volt meters available too.
but is limited to 100 watts when input voltage is above 20v

the combo of using both these  modules seem perfect to me.

all in all i had more fun playing with this £6 investment  than a pint an 3/4 it would buy me in a pub.

Edited by Grinner - 15 January 2015 at 4:44am
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2015 at 2:20pm
Cripes, don't run a 3s lipo battery down to 8.8v, that's only 2.9v per cell, well below the safe minimum voltage of 3.2v. According to all sources, it soon won't charge if you keep flattening it that much! 
(LiPo voltages per cell: 3.2v= flat as pancake, 3.7v = average over discharge cycle, 4.2v = full charge)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2015 at 7:18pm
i only realised it went down that low when i flicked the meter back an turned it of immediately.
as had it on the output. an was gobsmacked it stay level an steady with the bass it was pumping.
only flickering 0.1 of a volt.
i might also add the batt pack came from a knackered drill that has been abused for a year an then broke.

but testing is as testing does. Wink an was well sloshed by that point in the belief that the battery will shut off when it drops too low. as all others i have does.
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2015 at 7:35pm
besides that, and thinking i am ignorant of such things.
i was making the point about the output power staying stable. even with the input voltage dipping wildly.
 Post Reply Post Reply