Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH & Unity Horn - Solar sound system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

Let Them Eat Cake on New Years Day out at Werribee.....a full stage to ourselves...

3 live bands plus DJ`s through the day...

.p.

I was considering ltec, have you done it before? I may be in sydney though.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 6:57pm
Yeah we were at LTEC last year...getting a better site and stage this year .

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Danny A Danny A wrote:

Loving your work phil, what batteries are you running and what config?

Batts are Yuasa 1100amh 2 v cells. Twelve of them run in series to get 24v.. this is one side of the trailer before they were all connected up.

.p.

Masssive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masssive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 9:33pm
Loving your work guys. This trailer just gets better and better.

What voltages do you set the MPPT at for Bulk and Float. Those Yuasa 2v's get treated a little differently to your standard deepcycle batteries. I use the same batteries but never quite got around to getting confirmation from Yuasa on the correct charging voltages.

What 18" tapped horn design are you looking at. If you can hold out until Regrowth Festival in February you can come up with Marc for a listen to our MTH-4654.
www.thegroundedsound.com
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Masssive Masssive wrote:

Loving your work guys. This trailer just gets better and better.

What voltages do you set the MPPT at for Bulk and Float. Those Yuasa 2v's get treated a little differently to your standard deepcycle batteries. I use the same batteries but never quite got around to getting confirmation from Yuasa on the correct charging voltages.

What 18" tapped horn design are you looking at. If you can hold out until Regrowth Festival in February you can come up with Marc for a listen to our MTH-4654.

Can`t remember bulk and float of the top of my head... 28.4 and 27.6 ring a bell but I`ll go have a look next time.

18" Tapped horns .... well the Xoc1 design with a bad ass driver is as close to a Danley TH18 as you`re gonna get... MTH 4654,  I`ll have to have a read up of `em.

It`s all still pie in the sky as there`s no room in the trailer for`em so maybe we need to come up with a smaller footprint 18" that our existing barn doors hook up to...hmmm?

And as for Regrowth...why aren`t we doing it as well?? Eh?

.p.

Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2014 at 12:04am
thats a proper battery bank too, bet you could run all day on those and nothing else easily!
Does the solar and wind turbines provide enough power to keep them topped up or do you sneak in a mains supply? Wink
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2014 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Danny A Danny A wrote:

thats a proper battery bank too, bet you could run all day on those and nothing else easily!
Does the solar and wind turbines provide enough power to keep them topped up or do you sneak in a mains supply? Wink

If the trailer is parked in direct sun we can pull back over 30a @ 24v solar between mid morning & mid afternoon. Add onto that a possible 10 - 20a @ from a constant wind and we have 4 - 5a @ 240v which is what the system pulls on average. So in theory we can put back what we are drawing but then of course the sun goes down !

We have in the past though had to get a "top up" off a veggie oil generator, running bands for 8hrs a day without good sun over a 3 day festival meant we didn`t have a choice.

.p.

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 12:07am
So our Stage at LTEC 2015 ....hand built and designed by Rich , totally awesome shack design. It`s actually a normal metal frame Marquee under that facade and that is the front end of a Coaster Bus " crashing " through the wall. I can`t believe how good it was and how easy to put up and pack away...... 

Wind and Sunshine powered....

How to cram a 5 piece band onto the porch !

And then we had to pack it all down quick and re-locate to the worst sounding room in the Universe for the afterparty....

So we learnt a couple of things....

The invertor overloaded for the first time ever ! Having a whole heap of backline / lights / bigger mixing desk/ more outboard was just too much for it and we had to re-jig stuff around to take the load off and ended up running backline and lights off genny power. So next time we will need a bigger invertor and maybe use the 2nd battery bank for lights.

And never do a party in a tiled swimming pool room....awful doesn`t even come close !

.p.

Edited by Phil B - 05 January 2015 at 12:10am

app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 12:19am
This thread is ever inspiring! Big UPClap
"what!?"
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 11:16am
Still one of the very few reasons I might head out to Oz one day! I know you'll probably never do this but would something like an X32 with one or two choice bits of outboard not be a more efficient way to do live stuff on the inverter?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Still one of the very few reasons I might head out to Oz one day! I know you'll probably never do this but would something like an X32 with one or two choice bits of outboard not be a more efficient way to do live stuff on the inverter?

Well yes...BUT it falls out of keeping it all in the analogue domain. It is something that we are trying to keep as a main selling point of the system.I personally might buy one of the soon to be released X18 Behringer Wifi stage boxes and use it for smaller DJ gigs. The Midas Venice 32 we used the other day pulled 4 times as much current as a Mix Wizz 16ch ! Plus a heap of toys for the visiting engineers added up to us pulling 2.5a @ 240v without any noise coming out! 

The main issue is that the backline and lights draw as much as the PA ... So for bigger gigs we will run two invertors and possibly a second bank just for them.

Your welcome any time Kyle if you fancy hanging around Melb !

.p.

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 4:48am
So I`ve bitten the bullet and bought one...

First impressions are great...lets see how much current draw we save . I feel an A/B audio test into the speakers coming up !

.p.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>