Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TH1281 Hornloaded Mid Top + Punisher MK2 refurb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH1281 Hornloaded Mid Top + Punisher MK2 refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TH1281 Hornloaded Mid Top + Punisher MK2 refurb
    Posted: 29 August 2014 at 8:52pm
Thought it was about time i started a thread for my current project. It consists of a hornloaded mid top born from the DMT concept. Massive big up and thank you to Davey T! I have changed the cab height to fit my 8" horn and 1" comp positioning.

To be loaded with the P-Audio SN2-12MB8 as per Davey T's original plan. Just waiting for Blue Aran to get some in stock, hurry up Andy! Ha
The mid section is, as mentioned, my own design 8" horn (potentially with phase bung) and thats to be loaded with a Ciare 8.38mr1 as i have them laying around. This section worries me slightly as i cant seem to sim it correctly so i have given up with computer simulating and im just going to build it and measure it. If it doesnt go low enough i will tweak the horn and use a more suitable driver. The 1" will be a P-Audio SD-34BF on a Faital Pro STH 100 horn. The comp is only rated at 30w but as ill be crossing at around 3/3.5khz i think this should be ok?

Well a picture tells a thousand words. The horn is purely for illustration purposes.

I have also done a cut sheet for 2 cabinets. Fits on just over 1 8x4 sheet of 15mm ply.

And here is the beginnings of the horn master (still needs alot of work and im thinking of doing it again but completely from wood)

I move into my new workshop tomorrow so ill post more pics up then. Also stay tuned for the overhaul of my Mk2 Punishers.

Thomas

WWW.T8Audio.Com
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2014 at 8:56pm
Exciting moving into a new workshop? good luck
Mykey Wattco
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 5:48pm
I use the word new very loosely, it would imply that i previously had a 'workshop' but i dont think you can call a combination of garage, shed and gazebo a workshop LOL
Moved into my friends dads workshop that hes no longer using, fully fitted out already so that saves me some hassle.

As im off out to DJ tonight i didnt have much time to actually do work so i just started the new horn master. Its now made from wood instead of stretched fabric and resin (that was a dumb idea!)

The dimensions are slightly different. Its about 40mm deeper and 40 wider. Was hoping this would give me a little more low end.

Hopefully im not to hungover tomorrow and ill go and finish the horn. Found a guy in the estate that does forming and molding so i may see if he can make a batch of these horns for me.
2 sheets of 8x4 15mm BB ply will be getting delivered on Tuesday to start the actual cabs. £79 inc vat + delivery :)

Have a nice weekend all...
WWW.T8Audio.Com
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 6:38pm
Mid top looks like it should work, crossover from low mid to high mid might be the sticky point, and from high mid to HF if you want to cross that high. are you going for lots offiller then sanding it method of forming the horn?  Looks like a nice workshop, are you sure youve got enough table saws?
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 7:34pm
I plan on just running it 3way and messing with the points to find what sounds nice, think ill get a beefier 1" to give me more options up top. I will be turning a phase plug tho so that should help.
With regards to the mid horn - yes i will just be filling and sanding. Could this be a problem? I may just end up making another out of wood and using them tbh.

The saw on the pallet was a loan while the big one was being repaired, its going on tuesday.

Can anyone recommend the best way to port this cab? Slot ports like the stable audio gear look good but i dont want to copy there cabs as i already believe there based on the DMT as there very similar sizes. How would a single rear port fair up?

Cheers for the support guys
WWW.T8Audio.Com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2014 at 7:54pm
Its been a struggle trying to find time to get down to the workshop but ive finally got pretty much all the panels cut for 2 cabs. All i have left is the baffle for the 12" and the horn throat panels. I spoke to a few mold making companies i think its going to work out to be alot of hassle to get the horns how i want using a 3rd party manufacturer so im just going to make them out of the 15mm BB ply im using for the cabs, MT121 style but with little corner triangle to make the throat circular.

I need some advice and support tho, originally i was thinking: GRP horn that could be removed for access to the 12" driver. However now i am going to make the horn from wood i would like to make a side access panel alot like my punisher subs. Can anyone see any problems with this? I think it will be alot easier to seal correctly and prevent rattles etc

They will hopefully be finished this weekend and im going to make a 8u rack out of the remaining wood.

Cheers for looking
WWW.T8Audio.Com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 12:01pm

WWW.T8Audio.Com
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 12:20pm
very nice project good to see someone trying to push themselves into semi unknown waters whilst looking at what is known to work or not work and generaly just trying something new
Clap
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 12:24pm
Looks good! Might need to Tnut the baffle though?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 5:39pm
Cheers Mark! That was the aim of this project. Apart from a couple of reflex 12" subs i built a few years ago this is my first project so straight in at the deep end i think.

AM55 this is only a dry assembly to check ive cut all the angles correctly. Im still waiting for the 12" drivers to come in stock so ill leave that till i get them.

Im going to permanently fix in the 8" horn and make a removable rear panel and side panel for driver access. This will enable me to get the front looking nice and slick with no fixings showing.

Heres some pics from todays antics, even managed to get the mrs down to the work shop to start sanding and painting the MK2 Punishers.

Recesses for the feet that are on the bottom of the tops to sit in.

Ive also been in contact with someone who is writing a LMS program to run on a dedicated computer, so potentially i will have a bespoke LMS system to run this little lot too :)  
WWW.T8Audio.Com
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 6:05pm
Looking good.  I've toyed with the idea of a 12+8+1 cabinet for years but it's never happened despite buying drivers etc for it!

Bit of a cheeky post but I don't suppose you're in the market for any more Punishers to refurb?  Got a pair here in need of recones/new drivers looking for a new home.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 6:09pm
Clap
As with what has been written previously, well done Sir!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>