Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THAM 15 - Touring Version! (and matching top)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 4:07pm
hey

got a PM frome one someone asking about the designs, and particuluarly with the top which isn't based on an available design like the THAM,  and whether I would provide plans/plots/details etc.

Thought I'd reply here so everyone could see, to say that yeah I'd like to get it build first so I can check the plans are right and I haven't made any silly errors with sizes or calculations of angles etc etc, but once all that's done and they're up and running will be happy to stick full plans, plots, cut sheets and what ever else on here for everyone to use.

There may also even be CNC'd flat packs available, although that all needs to be worked out there where a few hichups when I tried to get this first set CNC's and I ended up having to go back to doing it all by hand!  Tongue  (lol no-one's fault, just a series of unfortunate events! Tongue)

k
jollygt78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollygt78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 7:18pm
what power amps are you using to run the THAM15s?  how are you wiring them?
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 7:45pm
ah ha, well spotted Tom, ye this system is pretty much exactly what iv been planning, 

well done iv been thinking allot about this set up and i know its going to sound amazing,

great project Clap 

CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by jollygt78 jollygt78 wrote:

what power amps are you using to run the THAM15s?  how are you wiring them?

Each sub driver takes 1.2K,  they'll just be wired in parallel and hooked up 3 per side giving 2.66 ohms.  To start off with they'll be on a vortex 6, although when I get some pennies i'll move up. Maybe an Infinite 8, maybe a FFA10K  (and can dream about a Lab PLM 20K although i know realistically that wont happen for a LONG time :P)

k
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 12:11am
I can't wait to see more of this build. I love the 3 way top boxes Clap
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 9:46am
some more pics......

my little routing set up for straight lines. 

Tony W CNC'd some routing guides for me (and I can't emphasise enough how much help he's been with this project! Smile ), both straight ones like above and some special ones for various handles etc, all of which had a large channel 30mm wide routed most of the way through them.

My router has an attachable 30mm guide that slides right into these, and then the first time i ran the router through it I cut through the remaining wood at the bottom of the channel and that gave me a line that exactly matched the router bit for lining things up to.

The straight one above worked especially well as once clamped down it essentially worked as a kind of CNC gantry almost. It stayed clamped down and I just moved the work piece around underneath it lining it up to the guide. I think in the 8 hours or so I was working on these yesterday I only un-clamped and moved the guide once. Smile

Next is the one for cutting baffle holes etc...

and a baffle.....

And various other bits of routing. Obviously all of it needs tidied up a little and the little round corners chiselled straight.

Base for a top.... (still to get the "all the way through" holes cut, which'll be today)

And the centre piece between the 12" and comp/horn...

More pieces from the top, some sidewall bits.....

and one of the bases for a sub...

lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 10:26am
Looks very good,hope to hear it one dayClap
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 6:10pm
someone buy that man a CNC machine!

Did you consider out sourcing the cutting to a CNC service? Good job you got a nice router!

I suppose the satisfaction of it all slotting together will be immense after all the hours graft. Plus you get to look at it for a good few years before getting board!

Clap

Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 7:15pm
hey

yeah the original plan was to get them CNC'd, hence why the routing was so extensive.

Through various bits of bad luck it all fell through at the last minute, and I ended up going back to having to do it by hand as I had a few gigs that I had wanted to try and get them finished for and didn't have time to find someone new to do it and then go through all the plans and writing the g-code etc all again.

Unfortunately a various bits of work and other things came up and i didn't actually get them finished for the intended gigs.and i have a couple of weeks where i'm fairly free now and can save the money by doing it by hand.

Defo but if I do it again, or when i get round in the future to doing my big all hornloaded system, it'll be CNC all they way.  (lol actually thinking about looking into some of these DIY CNC router sites that are about and see how cost effective it is to make one myself and then have it for future projects and also be able to do custom work for other people! Smile)

k
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 7:40pm
well if it frees up funds to put back into the system then makes total sense. 
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
slaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 12:22am
Hello.

Just thought that i might add something here.

I have built the first pair of THM15MKII, the ones that Anders showed some pictures of when we did some testing this last winter.

We did some more testing a little while ago, as I got my T.AMP Proline 3000.
Thought I'd give them some real power, since my thought is also to run them 2,66ohm 3 a side.

What I found when we ran pink noise through the driver, with the filter on HP 48dB@40Hz and LP 24dB@120Hz.
Was that up until cirka 32volts RMS it was fine, after that it just ran out of voice coil.
Calculated it added upp to 190W@5,30ohm which is the lowest impedance in the box.
The driver I use is the B&C15PS76, the TBX has more XMAX and more powerhandling.
So it would probably take some more power.

But I always thought that i would be able to give it alot more power, although it sounded good anyhow.
115dB @ 8meters, 2boxes centered with mouthes together.
But I think i have to build more boxes, because the voice stopped modulating when i moved ca 1 meter from the boxes. Evil Smile

But as for your build effort, i must say it look really nice.

The system will be about 2 meters high i suppose?
3 THAM15:s is 150cm, and then the top. but isn't the comp driver gonna go straight into peoples ears?
Or is the idea to put the whole thing on a podium?
I think maybe 2 more subs for venues with higher roofs maybe, one amp per stack.

Just interested in your thoughts on this.

Best regards
Patrik J
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 10:37am
It almost makes me nervous to see this amount of dedication and effort being put into the building a THAM15 based design, and even if some say it is a sin I can't help but feeling a bit proud, misplaced as it may be, I really hope you will find it worth your effort, great rig design ! love them tops of yours ! thanks for sharing :)
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>